Linesmen

HappyLion

I do wonder what is the point of them. Always looking to see what the ref signals before raising their flag in support. I thought the whole idea was to have someone in a better position than the ref. Moan 2, testing the nets at half time. Its not the dark ages or a badly fitted net in the park, we have goal line tech now. Moan 3, scrutinising the ball placement at corners. Like (apart from the misses) an extra inch makes all the difference. Moan 4, when a goal is scroed, waiting a full minute before calling the ref up and then flagging offside. Moan 5, not flagging for a penalty when cooper gets assaulted. Moan 6, Picking up a peanut that has been thrown and grassing to the ref.

At todays game I am sure you will be able to tick each of these off the list.

Last edited:
About your moan three: they only judge that the ball is touching the line from the side where the linesman is, the other corner they can put it where they want, unless the crowd grasses him to the ref.
Sounds like it's time to bring in corner flag technology.

I do wonder what is the point of them. Always looking to see what the ref signals before raing their flag in support. I thought the whole idea was to have someone in a better position than the ref. Moan 2, testing the nets at half time. Its not the dark ages or a badly fitted net in the park, we have goal line tech now. Moan 3, scrutinising the ball placement at corners. Like (apart from the misses) an extra inch makes all the difference. Moan 4, when a goal is scroed, waiting a full minute before calling the ref up and then flagging offside. Moan 5, not flagging for a penalty when cooper gets assaulted. Moan 6, Picking up a peanut that has been thrown and grassing to the ref.

At todays game I am sure you will be able to tick each of these off the list.
You're not living up to your name this morning, mate.

About your moan three: they only judge that the ball is touching the line from the side where the linesman is, the other corner they can put it where they want, unless the crowd grasses him to the ref.
Last week at Southampton, the ball when they took one corner wasn't even close. The linesman from the other touchline could have seen that if he wanted to!

The linesman part in a match is determined by The referee , some want him only to signal offside & throwins , while others what them to signal fouls etc that's why it appears inconsistent between games , checking n ets is a compulsory job that as to be done at the start of each half which at pro.level is not really required,again flagging offside is up to the way the refs wants the game to be played , in our league they's a bit more leeway but in the premshit you have to follow the guide lines which I believe are wrong to flag at the end of a move for the Var to get involved , the linesman influence as been greatly diminished over the years at the top levels by Var & referees only in the lower leagues do they play a greater role in the game

Spot on. And they stand so the corner cant be taken. However it cant be taken till the ref blows, so whats all that about? Power trip??

what drives me mad is they are looking at offsides, get that wrong, but never seem to know when the ball is off and who its gone off. Works both way, but in block 11, you can pretty much see down the line, and how often it is out.

what drives me mad is they are looking at offsides, get that wrong, but never seem to know when the ball is off and who its gone off. Works both way, but in block 11, you can pretty much see down the line, and how often it is out.
Yep its a great view from block 11