Date: 11th November 2015 at 2:52pm
Written by:

Manager Neil Harris couldn’t have been more pleased following last night’s five three victory over Plymouth Argyle in the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy.

Having seen a scintillating performance from Lee Gregory who grabbed himself four goals on the night and an assist to book the place in the Area Semi Finals, a delighted Harris told the official site in his post game press conference that he couldn’t have been more pleased for the former non league striker to have become the first player since Teddy Sheringham back in 1991 to score four goals in one game.

‘Lee Gregory was a fine example to any senior or young pro on how to play as a number nine in the modern day, playing off the shoulder and making threatening runs. His performance was great and it wasn’t just the goals he scored – it was his all-round game. His decision making with and without the ball, and the assist – putting the ball in behind the defence for Aiden O’Brien – was brilliant.’

Harris went on to say.

‘I thought Steve Morison was outstanding and he is disappointed that he has not added to his goal tally for the season. Overall it was a brilliant Cup tie. Our attacking play was different class and on another day we could have scored seven or eight, and that was against a really good side in Plymouth.’

The gaffer was disappointed with the goals we conceded on the evening though, but he knew that all that mattered was progressing through to the next stage and as we did that, he had to be happy with our efforts.

‘I’m disappointed that we let three goals in, as I would be in the League, but all that matters was getting through for the draw on Saturday. It is a win and a performance which continues our good little run of form and our challenge now is to continue that. We’re not a team or a squad at the moment where you want to lose your position. You want to keep that shirt because we’ve got a winning mentality at the moment.’

Gregory himself added.

‘It was a great night – and definitely my goal for our second. If the ball touches me and goes in it’s my goal. It did, so it’s mine! To be honest I had to try and get out of the way of Beeves’ header and the ball just hit me on the leg, it went towards goal and when I turned around it was in the net.’

As for the game overall, he went on to say.

‘It was a very open, real end-to-end match, but when we went 3-1 up Plymouth were always going to push and push, which made it a bit easier for us in some respects. It was a really good game to be involved in and I’m very happy with the win, we all are. We killed them off and are in the next round of the competition. However, we’re not looking at Wembley at the minute though and are taking it one game at a time. We’ve got an international break coming up which gives us a chance to regroup because after that it’s Saturday-Tuesday-Saturday with matches and we need to be as prepared as possible.’

Vital Millwall on: facebook

Vital Millwall on: twitter


Join The Vital Debate