Zak Lovelace

Just to play Devil's advocate, a 16 year old being offered say £1,000 a week by us or £4-5k a week somewhere else, can you blame him. I love this club, but at that age pretty sure I'd have been on my toes as well. I very much doubt the kid loves us as much as I do.

Be nice if he signed a deal though just so we'd get a proper fee when he does fuck off

I was impatient when I was a young man, but I was not dreaming of the sort of pay rises this kid is.
The temptation must be enormous.
He’s very young and even a year seems a long way off.
To tell him he could be on good money in 5 years if he stays with us would seem like an eternity to him.

Lovelace probably has a shithouse agent who's trying to play him into a bigger contract here. Just accept the contract lad and knuckle down. Then fuck your agent off out the nearest fire exit. Let's face it - If there was a bigger team interested then he won't contemplating our contract offer, he'd be off.

To put things into perspective how things have changed, just read "Taking Le Tiss " that I found in an op shop. He started as a Southampton apprentice on 50 quid a week plus win bonus and local bus pass. To him it was heaven. The highest he was ever paid was 3500 quid a week. Good money in the mid 90's but nothing compared to today.
Most undercapped England player (only 8) due to clueless coaches.

Sadly he falls into the same category as many young footballers. Most of them have got their brains in their boots and they get smart alec agents or, occasionally parents who think they know best. He gets his head full of wild ideas that, once he has made a five minute cameo for a Championship club then his next move is to a Premier League club. He will sign a long contract worth shedloads, buy a fast car, bed three different women every night and have the world at his feet. Somebody should take him aside and read him the story of Moses Ashikodi, Conor Wilkinson, George Alexander, Alfie Pavey and several other Millwall youngsters who dreamed big, were promised the earth by their agents and are now plying their trade with Ebbsfleet, Dartford or Walsall. His response would be that he is different and he will be like cream in the milk and will rise to the top.
Try making a name for yourself at Millwall. Become a regular starter for the first team, score 12 goals in your first season, get into the young England squad and there will be a queue of clubs waiting to sign you up. I realise that such a path all seems so easy but some will tell you that it is the right way to go. But will you listen?
George Alexander? what happened with him? was scoring for fun in the u23's

George Alexander? what happened with him? was scoring for fun in the u23's
Plays for Bromley and might score a goal at Wembley tomorrow in the Trophy final. I seem to remember his Dad did something pretty spectacular at that venue but that seems a long time ago now. Good luck George.

I was impatient when I was a young man, but I was not dreaming of the sort of pay rises this kid is.
The temptation must be enormous.
He’s very young and even a year seems a long way off.
To tell him he could be on good money in 5 years if he stays with us would seem like an eternity to him.
Kids today want and get everything yesterday. Remember when I was a kid either I had to or mum and dad had to save up for it.

Wasn’t there any kid with the surname Williams (not Marvin) who ended up at Leyton Orient after being promised the moon on a stick or is my mind fucking with me!?.

As for Zak it might not be just about the money and about the prestige of playing for a ‘top’ as he laces his boots playing for some club in the Ismithian Southern league team.

Plays for Bromley and might score a goal at Wembley tomorrow in the Trophy final. I seem to remember his Dad did something pretty spectacular at that venue but that seems a long time ago now. Good luck George.
Thanks for the reply, but I was looking to find out how he got to big for the club, as his name is mentioned along with others who thought the same.

I was trying to think of their names to help you out.
Then I realized it was pointless because we’ll never hear of them again.😁😁😁😁😁

The name Amoo rings a bell. I may have made that up. David Amoo?
Wasn't he in the Real Thing. 😎

Agreed but he will have the best coaching and has more chance of devloping, if he reaches his potential he won't look back. Hopefully it's him that makes the decision and not his parents.

Trouble is if he goes to a Scottish club we only get £200,000 compensation but
if he goes to an English club we get around £1 million compensation.

These early moves are normally driven by the agents. Bit of cash today is no doubt tempting but not if it stunts your development. At least he would get plenty of games here.

The thing is, Rangers is not a bad place to develop as a player necessarily. If you can come through at a club like Rangers, score goals you quickly become adored by the supporters and your status is very much elevated. At the end of the day, they've just reached the Europa League Final.

As for wages, I don't know what they'll be offering but their highest earner is Morelos on £35k pw, I can't envisage they'll be chucking big bucks at him. Also, a kid from Streatham flying up to Glasgow in digs for a few years after just finishing his GCSE's can be a sink or swim situation.

Why do we bother paying for an academy, when anyone can come in and get the decent players from it for a knock down price. We train them and get nothing for them, what a waste of time and money, just buy players from non league, it is probably cheaper in the long run.

Lovelace probably has a shithouse agent who's trying to play him into a bigger contract here.
Apparently it's his old man that thinks he should be earning a lot more than he is because he made a few cameo appearances for us. He won't be the first or last player to be poorly advised by a impatient and greedy parent.

Last edited: