Zac Lovelace

Hopefully he might decide that he's better off staying with us for a bit. If he does, he'll stay in a familiar setting where he has a real chance of progression. He could easily get lost in a Premier league set up whereas at Millwall he'll most likely regular appearances. Anyway, a Prem team would probably loan him out so in terms of experience, he'll do just as well with Millwall as elsewhere.

One of the problems is that the big clubs sign up absolutely everyone they can even though there's very little chance that they'll get a starting spot. Look at Ojo. He's 24. Does he have a realistic chance of making the Liverpool first team? I doubt it, much as he's improved in the last couple of matches. However, instead of selling players who don't make the grade, the big clubs hang on to them just in case they improve or perhaps hoping they'll get a bigger transfer fee at some point. So we'll most likely lose Ojo in the summer and Liverpool will loan him out elsewhere. Even if we do get him for next year, we couldn't build a team around him because we can never be sure how long we'll have him. Some teams have whole squads out on loan - Chelsea have 22 players out on loan. How is this good for either the players or football? The obvious solution would be to cap the number of players that a team can have on their books. That would reduce the amount of poaching from lower league clubs and players would have better careers too. Of course, the current set up obviously suits the big clubs so no chance of anything like that happening.
With respect mate, if you’re a 15 year old and Chelsea come knocking to go into their youth set up, it’s a very easy decision. The finances, the set up, the support they get and the fact they’re surrounded by the best youth players in that area - it’s a no brainer. All of these parents see it as the holy grail. Look at Gilmore of Chelsea - £50k per week? Family will never have to worry about money ever again. Lovelace at Millwall? £1k per week?

We are a feeder club to the big boys when they come knocking. Can’t see that ever changing.

In future it’s best we don’t put our youngsters in the shop window of the first team until they have been signed on a professional deal with us. It was obvious that as soon as he hit the headlines as a 15 yr old being named on the bench he must be pretty useful. Our club is managed by buffoons.
We lost at least one youth team player to Man city before he played a game, as do many other smaller clubs. It's not the clubs fault we are bringing through good players. How does a player gain experience if he can't paly for the fear of losing him? The club can't win with know it alls whinging and cunting them off on internet forums.

With respect mate, if you’re a 15 year old and Chelsea come knocking to go into their youth set up, it’s a very easy decision. The finances, the set up, the support they get and the fact they’re surrounded by the best youth players in that area - it’s a no brainer. All of these parents see it as the holy grail. Look at Gilmore of Chelsea - £50k per week? Family will never have to worry about money ever again. Lovelace at Millwall? £1k per week?

We are a feeder club to the big boys when they come knocking. Can’t see that ever changing.
Yes, I can see that and I couldn't blame the family if they're offered good money by Chelsea and they take it . However, the clubs rumoured to be interested are Brighton, Rangers and Leicester not Chelsea. Even if it is Chelsea, I don't think it's quite as simple as that either. A kid like Lovelace will be a very small fish in a very big pond at Chelsea. Joining the likes of Chelsea is a huge opportunity for a 15 year old but there are risks too. And most 15 year old who sign up won't get the colour of the money Gilmore gets. If he's good enough, the big clubs will come knocking later. Staying at Millwall for another year or two might be the smarter move for him in the long term. Is he not better off if he gets to play championship football than to be a youth team player at Brighton?

Last edited:
Signing for a big club makes no sense at that age unless you are exceptional, the big clubs can pick the best kids in Europe and further.

If he signs a 3 year deal at a top club and does not impress it could be career over without playing for the first team whereas if he sticks with us he is guaranteed first team football make a name for himself and get his big move when more experienced so probably a 17 year career and a lot more money in the bank.

Re the above i met a 19 year old footballer in portugal a few years ago who i,d never heard of who was on Chelseas books, the girl who he was with showed me footage of him playing on her phone (when he was at the bar getting a SOFT drink) he looked very good for such a young player.

When he came back i said tongue in cheek "you have no chance of getting in their first team come and play for Millwall" he just smiled.

A real nice fella who never had a drop of booze that night and left early.

He now plays for Chelsea and England.

Re the above i met a 19 year old footballer in portugal a few years ago who i,d never heard of who was on Chelseas books, the girl who he was with showed me footage of him playing on her phone (when he was at the bar getting a SOFT drink) he looked very good for such a young player.

When he came back i said tongue in cheek "you have no chance of getting in their first team come and play for Millwall" he just smiled.

You name dropper.
😂

Ulster says any chance of showing pics of aforementioned young lady

Signing for a big club makes no sense at that age unless you are exceptional, the big clubs can pick the best kids in Europe and further.

If he signs a 3 year deal at a top club and does not impress it could be career over without playing for the first team whereas if he sticks with us he is guaranteed first team football make a name for himself and get his big move when more experienced so probably a 17 year career and a lot more money in the bank.

It makes no sense to ordinary folk like you & me, but they earn obscene amounts from a young age and lets be honest, all PL clubs have decent coaches and facilities. If and when they get released they'll end up with an EFL side taking a punt.

Stay at a club like Millwall for example, they earn roughly £1k a week, decent money to be fair, but not comparatively and if we then decide in a few years na, this player isn't for us, or not good enough - they tend to end up in non league football.

you are deluded if you think these 15 yr olds sign up on much more than 1k a week even at premier league sides. unless they are real close to the 1st team, they will be 1-4k a week as well. Yes a bit more money but i think they are sold the premier league dream more so than anything.

you are deluded if you think these 15 yr olds sign up on much more than 1k a week even at premier league sides. unless they are real close to the 1st team, they will be 1-4k a week as well. Yes a bit more money but i think they are sold the premier league dream more so than anything.
If kids are good and wanted by bigger clubs ‘incentives’ are paid to the families, not necessarily legal!! Houses and such like, trust funds all goes on.

its a brave move, of those ones we have lost early what happened to them, anyone know, was there a lad Walker, goalkeeper went to Liverpool or ManCity?