Worrying signs

Peckham, I know it’s all ifs and buts, but if JB did fire Rowett, and spoke to Davidson, do you think he would leave the relatively comfortable position he‘s in at the moment with St. Johnstone, or do you think he might come to us, relishing the chance to manage in a better league, against better players and managers, and with the possible potential of promotion if he gets it right?
I don't know what he's like as a manager, i wouldn't mind him back as a coach. I don't think Rowett will be sacked unless we completely implode, i doubt the club could afford to sack him right now.

I can't share the general enthusiasm for Afobe and think that he'll struggle to reach double figures in goals; he just doesn't look like a natural goalscorer to me (he should have been on the end of an Ojo cross yesterday).
He's often isolated or stuck out wide on the flank fighting for the ball, we have nothing to aim at if he has the ball in those positions, he must be as frustrated as us! Smith was wheeled on yesterday but we never once played to his strength- headed balls that are swung into the box .Considering we have a winger who many think could play at a higher level he don't swing crosses into the box for him but waste the ball cause Jed either chooses the wrong option ( again) or he tries to much silly stuff in his quest for a goal. His corners were fucking abysmal as well, we had 12 yesterday! I'm not surprised the attacking players look toothless, we create next to fuck all.

Peckham, I know it’s all ifs and buts, but if JB did fire Rowett, and spoke to Davidson, do you think he would leave the relatively comfortable position he‘s in at the moment with St. Johnstone, or do you think he might come to us, relishing the chance to manage in a better league, against better players and managers, and with the possible potential of promotion if he gets it right?
If ifs and buts were pots and pans we'd all be scrap metal merchants.

No reflection on your post LwtL, just an opportunity to use one of my favourite quotes!

I've had time to reflect on yesterday and have calmed down somewhat, so here's where I see things.

I get that with the players at our disposal we must be hard to beat, to keep games tight and have a solid base. I even like that we are tough to play against and barring a few times, no one has really given us a hiding. I love it when we nick a tight game 1-0 against a team that spends much more than us.

What I don't get is what we do (or rather don't do) with the ball when we attack. There is no plan I can see. Even if you lack attacking quality you can still do the most rudimentary attacking option there is: Get the ball into the box, aim all crosses at the far post and get people in the opposition's area and attack the ball. Now, that sounds basic and simple. It is. If you put enough balls in the box (even of varying quality) along with four or five players attacking it, you will score a goal eventually. An opposition defender can make an error clearing, an attacker can head it in, the ball can be cleared to the edge of the area for a shot at goal, a low cross can be steered in, the ball could get handled, a player could get fouled for a penalty, an opposition player could score an own goal, the cross could be headed behind for a corner thus giving another opportunity. There are literally thousands of combinations of possibilities if you put enough balls in the box and get your players attacking it.

No Millwall fan expects Man City or Liverpool style attacking football. Most Millwall fans accept we are limited in ways that make us being a hard team to beat a reality. But, all Millwall fans want us to do something with the ball when we get it and at least have a go.

I honestly can't work out why a professional footballer can't beat the first man when taking a corner... It's like a bricklayer laying a brick the wrong way around... Just shouldn't happen.itslike a bricklayer laying a brick the wrong way around... Just shouldn't happen.

I honestly know so little about bricklaying that that was a genuine question.
I'm guessing you could lay them upside down too? If it is possible, I'm sure I would.
It's called frogging believe it or not, Laying bricks upside down I mean.

I've had time to reflect on yesterday and have calmed down somewhat, so here's where I see things.

I get that with the players at our disposal we must be hard to beat, to keep games tight and have a solid base. I even like that we are tough to play against and barring a few times, no one has really given us a hiding. I love it when we nick a tight game 1-0 against a team that spends much more than us.

What I don't get is what we do (or rather don't do) with the ball when we attack. There is no plan I can see. Even if you lack attacking quality you can still do the most rudimentary attacking option there is: Get the ball into the box, aim all crosses at the far post and get people in the opposition's area and attack the ball. Now, that sounds basic and simple. It is. If you put enough balls in the box (even of varying quality) along with four or five players attacking it, you will score a goal eventually. An opposition defender can make an error clearing, an attacker can head it in, the ball can be cleared to the edge of the area for a shot at goal, a low cross can be steered in, the ball could get handled, a player could get fouled for a penalty, an opposition player could score an own goal, the cross could be headed behind for a corner thus giving another opportunity. There are literally thousands of combinations of possibilities if you put enough balls in the box and get your players attacking it.

No Millwall fan expects Man City or Liverpool style attacking football. Most Millwall fans accept we are limited in ways that make us being a hard team to beat a reality. But, all Millwall fans want us to do something with the ball when we get it and at least have a go.
Top post, Robbo!

My biggest gripe is that, apart from Mahoney, we don’t have the skilful attackers who are prepared to take defenders on inside the box, forcing them to make tackles that could result in a penalty!

How many penalties a season do we get, compared to other clubs? Not as many, I would say. A few extra penalties, like the one we got against Bristol City, could give us a few 1 - 0 victories, and maybe another 9 - 12 points in the bag!

Like it or not the best we have seen of Jed was when Romeo was on the right with him. We have to start looking at 4-4-2 with Jed on one wing and either Malone or maybe Mahoney (although its obvious GR doesn't rate him) on the other. Two up front centrally, got to be worth a try at least. We had three centre halves yesterday and yet their first goal the bloke is all on his own to put the ball away, I dont think that happens with a proper right back there. It all seems so easy sitting watching it

Last edited:
Top post, Robbo!

My biggest gripe is that, apart from Mahoney, we don’t have the skilful attackers who are prepared to take defenders on inside the box, forcing them to make tackles that could result in a penalty!

How many penalties a season do we get, compared to other clubs? Not as many, I would say. A few extra penalties, like the one we got against Bristol City, could give us a few 1 - 0 victories, and maybe another 9 - 12 points in the bag!

Mahoney is an incredibly frustrating player but he can beat a man and cross a ball with either foot. It's true he hasn't delivered for us when you consider his talent, but one of the many jobs a manager has is to get the best out of players whatever way he can.

Surely in a game like yesterdays, being at home, we can sacrifice one of our SEVEN defensive players for someone like Mahoney, so behind Afobe we'd have three players in Mahoney, Ojo and Jed. You are going to create more chances with a front four like that. You can still play four at the back and two sitting midfielders behind them.

Or even TWO strikers up front in Afobe and Smith and Ojo and Jed on the wings. If any team at any level cannot defend with six players against a counter-attack then they should have no business being professional footballers.

Last edited:

I received seven texts from various mates at yesterday's game while it was progressing.

They all had one thing in common, Robbo. They each, independently, said how little they were enjoying the football they were seeing.

It appears entertainment at a football game is for others, not Millwall fans. It has become a thrill-less event, and has been since Harris...a long time now.

Earlier in the week I got a message from a season ticket holder of some 50 years that he found it just too hard going now to make the effort of getting to a game and sit there bored rigid.

There is a common theme and I find it very, very sad. Surely the manager must understand there has to be an entertainment value to a game. I'm sure he'll argue to guarantee us Championship football that element must be compromised. And I understand and sympathise with that.

Bt that doesn't make it any easier for the punter who looks forward to his game each week and then find his team sporting FOUR centre backs at a home game against mid-tase opposition.

There has to be some kind of meeting of the ways, somehow... Not least to help the commercial department, too. They find it much easier to raise money on positivity than negativity. So there is a secondary commercial consideration to this, also.

Incidentally, one of those I got messages and updates from yesterday was Moody. His daughter was going to her first Millwall game...making it FIVE generations of Millwall supporters in his family. He was deeply saddened that her very first experience was that...

Last edited:
I received seven texts from various mates at yesterday's game while it was progressing.

They all had one thing in common, Robbo. They each, independently, said how little they were enjoying the football they were seeing.

It appears entertainment at a football game is for others, not Millwall fans. It has become a thrill-less event, and has been since Harris...a long time now.

Earlier in the week I got a message from a season ticket holder of some 50 years that he found it just too hard going now to make the effort of getting to a game and sit there bored rigid.

There is a common theme and I find it very, very sad. Surely the manager must understand there has to be an entertainment value to a game. I'm sure he'll argue to guarantee us Championship football that element must be compromised. And I understand and sympathise with that.

Bt that doesn't make it any easier for the punter who looks forward to his game each week and then find his team sporting FOUR centre backs at a home game against mid-tase opposition.

There has to be some kind of meeting of the ways, somehow... Not least to help the commercial department, too. They find it much easier to raise money on positivity than negativity. So there is a secondary commercial consideration to this, also.

Incidentally, one of those I got messages and updates from yesterday was Moody. His daughter was going to her first Millwall game...making it FIVE generations of Millwall supporters in his family. He was deeply saddened that her very first experience was that...

Whisky, I have Millwall mates that are also finding it hard to motivate themselves to go to games, especially at home. One described it as a chore. That cannot be good. I also know of some that have missed games, and I'm talking die-hard Millwall that have never done so before.

Very worrying.

Yesterday we had 14,000, which is an excellent attendance. And what did they get? A insipid, spineless, lethargic display lacking any attacking threat and fight.

That was a massive missed opportunity, because why would you pay good money to witness that crap?

Rowett got away with our terrible home form last season. The fans didn't tolerate that yesterday and won't do again.

If we know anything about football owners, if the fans continually turn against a manager, his time is usually up.

Despite all this I like Rowett. He defended the club when it seemed the world was against us and has gone on record saying he respects the fans. And I am certain we would never go down with him as manager. But, we cannot keep playing this way at home.

Totally agree with all of that, except Rowett, I fear like Harris before him believes it's his way or no way; the reason he persists with 5 at the back. Why play Cooper when we can all see he is bang out of form, why Evan's, when Mitchell gives us so much more positivity? I could go on and on...
What really summed it for me & the fans around me was Cooper trying to be a winger and making a complete hash of the cross and then being way out of position , we have players who are wingers but are playing everywhere else but on the wing....ojo in the middle, Jed wherever he wants. GR & the players have not got a clue or are being told to play this way. Don't know what's worse

Last edited:
Rowett has got previous, every club he's been at has binned him after a couple of years!
He stabilises a struggling team, makes them hard to beat, then 18 months of dreadfully dull defend at all costs football follows, he's back on the rock and roll!!

Rowett has got previous, every club he's been at has binned him after a couple of years!
He stabilises a struggling team, makes them hard to beat, then 18 months of dreadfully dull defend at all costs football follows, he's back on the rock and roll!!

Hard to argue with any of this, because it's totally correct.

Depends what sort of club Berylson wants. We won't go down under Rowett, but is treading water each season with a disenfranchised fanbase the answer?

Jeds statement before yesterday's farce might explain a lot.
He admires the Luton manager/coach Nathan Jones style of play and the aggression and attack minded attitude of Luton. And would not mind playing for him.
Looks like GR's tactics are affecting the players and performances.

That's pretty damning. Here's the direct quotes:

Speaking to London News Online about Jones, Wallace said: “He’s done a great job. He’s a manager I’ve always looked at and thought ‘I’d like to play for the guy’. He has a really attacking style of play. They get on the front foot.

“They are one of the smaller clubs in the league but they certainly play with that energy, they are very aggressive.”

That, to my eyes, is a not-so-subtle message to the manager, with a few digs to boot.

That's pretty damning. Here's the direct quotes:

Speaking to London News Online about Jones, Wallace said: “He’s done a great job. He’s a manager I’ve always looked at and thought ‘I’d like to play for the guy’. He has a really attacking style of play. They get on the front foot.

“They are one of the smaller clubs in the league but they certainly play with that energy, they are very aggressive.”

That, to my eyes, is a not-so-subtle message to the manager, with a few digs to boot.
That's what I would expect all the lads in our squad to say about Wall. It's us who should be very aggressive, but are shackled by our tactics and positioning.
As Robbo said, we should be pumping the ball into their box ( oo, err, missus ) for our forwards to get on the end of...but our style of play doesn't seem to include getting too many Wall shirts there to get on the end of crosses.