Why I think Silver's completely wrong

Whoever we sign in January (if anyone) will make no difference to the way we play, we have more chance of being relegated with this style of football, not good enough to get promoted yet a bad run when constantly defending a draw will put us in trouble.
I would expect someone to come in for Jed in January. Trying to jump the summer free mob. If we looked half like we were going to make the playoffs he might wait until the end of the season. This is more critical than who we might get in.

I would expect someone to come in for Jed in January. Trying to jump the summer free mob. If we looked half like we were going to make the playoffs he might wait until the end of the season. This is more critical than who we might get in.
This, if you were an attacking player playing for Rowett, would you stay????

Not gonna knock JB as without him, we would have been history a long time ago.

But Rowett isnt leading us down a good path.
He's fallen out with Danny & Mahoney, both young & talented players.
His defensive mindset is shocking & when we face a team who comes out of the starting blocks hard & fast & are 3-0 up by half time, his tactics wont be worth a wank.
Im not looking forward to the next half of the season when we play teams for the second time. They will have us sussed if he doesnt sort it out.
Not knocking JB as a chairman for supporting the club and us supporters during all the BLM shit, and for keeping us going during Covid, but I mentioned him alongside the others because he has attended some home games since the first lockdown (when the rot began), so would have seen with his own eyes how poorly the players have played in many of the home games since March 2020!

He could also not fail to see and hear how the home support has booed the players, during and after these games, for failing to win when we should have, or lost when at the very least we should have got a draw! Unfortunately, JB doesn’t seem to be the type of chairman that clubs sometimes get, where exciting, attractive football is the order of the day! He seems happy with how Rowett and the team are doing at the moment, even though we’re only one season away from having a potential relegation battle on our hands, and which could very well send us down to league 1, by which time it will be too late to do anything about it!

I do however, agree 100% with regards the other points you’ve made, LionsMet, and if we don’t finish at least 11th this season, then we will have taken a 2nd step backwards (after last season’s 11th finish), because we had already gone backwards, finishing 8th the season before that!

I'm hugely grateful to Silver for his "just back" reports and always enjoy them. But I think he is terribly wrong about our performance yesterday, as being simply a tenacious defensive performance similar to many of our away fixtures. Well, ok, it may be similar to a few of our away performances, but that's not to our credit. On Saturday we were playing away to a team three points below us in the league, a team who have been a model of inconsistency. All we did was spoil the game. Hack, hoof and defend. It was a pretty horrible performance: boring and utterly threatless upfront. We were set up to nick a draw which in the end we really did not deserve. It was, managerially, utterly gutless. We are going nowhere playing like this and it is the reason our attendances this season have been surprisingly poor. For Christ's sake let us attack a little. Middlesbrough have a very suspect defence. That game was there for the winning. But really only good luck got us a point.

I enjoy Silver's 'Just Back' - whether live from The Den or just figments of his imagination; like me, he's a glass-half-full sort of bloke.

You have the rest of us at a disadvantage, Monkey - we don't have access to the Directors' Box at Ayesome Park.

I was lucky enough to see Silver's 'Così fan tutte' at The Royal Albert Hall a couple of years back; Wolfgang Amadeus would have been moved to tears.

My emotions were running so high at half time, I didn't even bother with a Choc Ice.

For that reason, I think we need to cut the lad a bit of slack - anything is better than Fat Dan.

:thumbup:

I enjoy Silver's 'Just Back' - whether live from The Den or just figments of his imagination; like me, he's a glass-half-full sort of bloke.

You have the rest of us at a disadvantage, Monkey - we don't have access to the Directors' Box at Ayesome Park.

I was lucky enough to see Silver's 'Così fan tutte' at The Royal Albert Hall a couple of years back; Wolfgang Amadeus would have been moved to tears.

My emotions were running so high at half time, I didn't even bother with a Choc Ice.

For that reason, I think we need to cut the lad a bit of slack - anything is better than Fat Dan.

Dan still speaks very highly of you Paree

To be fair to Silver he has been constantly critical of GR over the past few months (probably too much so?) I think the term “our clueless manager” has been used on more than one occasion

As Axholme Lion said up thread, it feels as if Rowett has sucked all the life and ambition out of the players, and that picking up a point every week has now become the norm, instead of draws happening less frequently than they did before!
Isn't that excatly what we said about Harris?

Short of the 15 odd games In the honeymoon period when Rowett took over, the football has been tedious and fairly defeatist for a lot longer than we actually think of.

This goes beyond the current manager, Coronvirus recently made us accepting of what's been going on but the truth Is the club has been having a 'Coronvirus season' for many years.

The players can't cross a ball, make simple passes or move together as a unit yet the team only practice for two hours a day. We have no business acumen to maximize revenue, we don't provide a worthwhile match day experience and the board seem to Instigate bad P.R and appease those who do us harm. Millwall really Is an amature set up filled with supposedly qualified people who do great Impressions of being amateurs.

But don't worry, we're moving our training ground to a barron part of Kent.

Last edited:

Oh fuck off you French cnt.

When you think how peed off so many of us are yet we are quite high in the league shows that it’s probably the most boring football many of us have ever seen. How so many Wall can be arsed to travel away at the moment amazes me and I take my hat off to them. I have a season ticket and find it a real struggle to be bothered to make my way to the Den.

I said it in another post. We are only nicking points is because the opposition isnt of quality.

Yes, points on the board cant be argued with but if Rowett continues to play like this next season & the season after without building & wanting to attack, we wont last long in the Championship.
Can’t agree with that. Not sure what we think quality really is? We’ve got much much better than under Hollowhead, previously Jacket and arguably Harris. League positions and results don’t lie.

In my opinion we’ve steadied the ship and now don’t look like a relegation team anymore. We can compete in 42 out of 46 league games per season, as in there is only 2 teams in my opinion that so far in front that
A Point home or away would be a good result (Fulham & Bornmuff).

I agree with most on here that it’s often sht to watch, but not every week and not for 90 minutes every week. I remember the Billy Bonds 0-3 loss at Blackpool all those years back, getting soaked and watching Tim Carter (rip) being lobbed on his line. Those were sht days. Not today. No comparison.

Football has changed and we are evolving with it. Many don’t like it, but unless we get millions to invest, this is possibly the optimum we can expect. It’s just a shame that the match day experience is now so dampened down by sub- illustrious performances.

Can’t agree with that. Not sure what we think quality really is? We’ve got much much better than under Hollowhead, previously Jacket and arguably Harris. League positions and results don’t lie.

In my opinion we’ve steadied the ship and now don’t look like a relegation team anymore. We can compete in 42 out of 46 league games per season, as in there is only 2 teams in my opinion that so far in front that
A Point home or away would be a good result (Fulham & Bornmuff).

I agree with most on here that it’s often sht to watch, but not every week and not for 90 minutes every week. I remember the Billy Bonds 0-3 loss at Blackpool all those years back, getting soaked and watching Tim Carter (rip) being lobbed on his line. Those were sht days. Not today. No comparison.

Football has changed and we are evolving with it. Many don’t like it, but unless we get millions to invest, this is possibly the optimum we can expect. It’s just a shame that the match day experience is now so dampened down by sub- illustrious performances.
Its all about opinions mate. But I dont think we have evolved at all.
I think we've gone backwards.

There is a massive lack of quality in the Championship in comparison to previous years & my point is, when the quality improves, we will in L1 very quickly IF we dont take advantage & improve our game.

If holding out to try & nick a point is evolving, then football is well & truly fucked.

We play to win, not draw or settle.
The.mindset of ANY team is to go out & win. I cant say we've done that at all this season apart from second half displays.
At times its come off, but all of the games hasnt seen us go out there & hit teams hard from the off.

If Jed leaves in January I’ll be interested to see the impact on the team 🤔

Personally, I don’t think it will be as bad as some think and, with him gone, I wouldn’t be surprised if our moves flowed better and we create more chances than now!

Last edited:
According to GR our away from home set up of 5-2-3 allows us to pick teams off with the likes of Jed and Ojo. WHO KNEW.??
I enjoy Silvers efforts while not always agreeing with them. Keep up the good work.
Has he told the players yet or is it going to be a secret Santa type reveal?

Isn't that excatly what we said about Harris?
Yes, we did say that about Harris, but even I have to admit that when Rowett and Davidson took over, the tactics, the style of play - virtually everything that had been the opposite of Harris’ game, was a breath of fresh air and a joy to watch!
Short of the 15 odd games In the honeymoon period when Rowett took over, the football has been tedious and fairly defeatist for a lot longer than we actually think of.
I think it gave all of us hope that here was a manager who knew how football should be played, and that was reflected in the way we won games. For me (and I’m sure for others as well), the rot began when Davidson left. Rowett was never the same afterwards, and we’ve been proven right that Davidson was probably the one pulling the strings in that partnership, by how well he has been as a coach, as witnessed by the success he’s had since becoming manager of St. Johnstone.
The players can't cross a ball, make simple passes or move together as a unit yet the team only practice for two hours a day. We have no business acumen to maximize revenue, we don't provide a worthwhile match day experience and the board seem to Instigate bad P.R and appease those who do us harm. Millwall really Is an amature set up filled with supposedly qualified people who do great Impressions of being amateurs.
Everything you say is spot on, but Rowett cannot control what’s happening off the field - that is down to JB to deal with! As manager, Rowett is able to control the poor crossing, the lack of simple passing and moving together as a unit - he doesn’t do anything about these failings (as we know them to be), because he isn’t interested in improving the player’s play as a whole!

Rowett, first and foremost, sets up to not concede goals! So what if Jed makes a loose pass, here and there? That’s OK, someone in midfield will win it back! So what if the midfield can’t string forward moving passes to each other? Don’t worry, we’ll get another chance later! So what if our players can’t cross a ball? That’s alright, we have other players who can score from other positions on the pitch!

Until Rowett deals with these failings, the players won’t improve and neither will our results! Barrett, as a coach, is very poor! As Rowett’s No. 2, it’s his job to get the best out of the players on the training field, correct any mistakes made in the last game, keep the players match fit (some of them aren’t), and make suggestions to Rowett, during the game, about formations, tactics and substitutions! Do any of us here really believe he does any of that, or does any of it well?
But don't worry, we're moving our training ground to a barron part of Kent.
That will be a small crumb of comfort for the club, knowing they have the best training ground in league 1, a couple of seasons down the line!