The Spectator on Mouthgate

STWall

Good objective article reflecting our thoughts on here!

Gareth Southgate doesn’t know what he’s doing​

England’s second favourite status for the World Cup in Qatar now seems ludicrously optimistic​

Last edited by a moderator:
The trouble with the media and certain individuals in this country regard England in reaching a Euro final and a World Cup semi as a success. To me, however, success is winning a major competition, getting close is not success, it's failure.

Better managers' than Southgate have been sacked not long after winning a major trophy, so bumming-up England as a success doesn't convince me.

As for Jamie Carragher calling the fans idiots (It takes one to know one JC) for booing the team after the Hungary game isn't justified. They've paid good money to watch an insipid display and are well within their rights to show their disapproval. I bet Carragher has never paid to watch a game in his life.

The trouble with the media and certain individuals in this country regard England in reaching a Euro final and a World Cup semi as a success. To me, however, success is winning a major competition, getting close is not success, it's failure.

Better managers' than Southgate have been sacked not long after winning a major trophy, so bumming-up England as a success doesn't convince me.

As for Jamie Carragher calling the fans idiots (It takes one to know one JC) for booing the team after the Hungary game isn't justified. They've paid good money to watch an insipid display and are well within their rights to show their disapproval. I bet Carragher has never paid to watch a game in his life.
i get your point
but if millwall make the play-offs that is success for me even if we end up losing
in the semi so I'm not sure how you gage success
I do think as England fans we go in to every euro /world cup thinking we can win the media build the team up when half the time its bullshit
Southgate record as England boss is good not saying he's the best man for the job but a final and a semi in the last 2 comps (still a palace cunt)

think the real problem is his willingness to tell us all how to think
he can stick his politic up his ass
we don't pay politicians to play football so why they think its ok the other way round god only knows

On the face of it, nobody can deny the gonk's record is successful, but dig a little deeper and you find the truth. Has he beaten a top 10 team in a competitive match, you can argue Germany and Croatia in a group game, but Germany were in free fall, he failed against Italy, Croatia, Belgium (twice), then throw in Scotland, Germany, Hungary (twice). In fact whenever he has needed to step forward he has stepped backwards.

We made the F A Cup final beating Tranmere and Sunderland, that's lucky we then played a good team and got arses spanked.

Stats can be mislead, but English football is going backwards fast with him in charge and the results in the big games bear that out.

On the face of it, nobody can deny the gonk's record is successful, but dig a little deeper and you find the truth. Has he beaten a top 10 team in a competitive match, you can argue Germany and Croatia in a group game, but Germany were in free fall, he failed against Italy, Croatia, Belgium (twice), then throw in Scotland, Germany, Hungary (twice). In fact whenever he has needed to step forward he has stepped backwards.

We made the F A Cup final beating Tranmere and Sunderland, that's lucky we then played a good team and got arses spanked.

Stats can be mislead, but English football is going backwards fast with him in charge and the results in the big games bear that out.
we have beaten Ireland wales scotland all 3-0

holland away spain away Croatia Belgium Denmark Germany home
we have not lost a world cup Q 15w 4d 0L eurpean Q 7w 0d 1L

the best chance of winning any thing for years was the last 2 comps and we bottled it big time

i hope clowngate gets lost in the desert over there,he pokes his nose into affairs he doesnt know aboutTtactically he lost that final at wembley,instead of a all out attack and getting a 2nd goal whilst the italians were rattled,England resulted to a bore and let Italy get on top.

i hope the clown is eventually found in the desert as I mentioned above on his knees ashe eems to spotlight the cause all the time.clowngate is actually ruining a a talented crop of young players.During games they look baffled of what to do with the ball.

I just want him to fuck off

his continue preaching of Marxist ideology and quest to educate people in his warped equitable rhetoric has ruined watching England. Add to that the continual drivel from So called experts and football does not even make its way onto my TV

if these cunts actually believed the shit they preach then we would not even go to the World Cup in Qatar

The hypocritical narrative is pure wank and the Gonk is the biggest wanker of them all, he is there mainly due to the bollocks he spouts

The best manager I have ever had the fortune of watching England under was Terry Venables and the up their own arse privileged fat cats of the FA could not wait to get him gone.

The Gonk is there due to his ideology only and is a total useless cunt

Nosegate is the nice ( we can manipulate) face of the FA, average player and under average manager with little nous of tactics to win a game lf the OPPO don t do as he thinks they will , will make a good lay preacher with all the sermons he keeps giving the public , as a good standard of players at his disposal but they it ends ...shite at the top.soon filters down.....

You don’t have to drag Wall into it - the media do that for us! 😉

Every time I want to seek out the current Southgate sermons or, any new bollocks from him on Social Media sites and Google searches, I have to pinch myself, and remember to type 'Gareth Southgate' and not The Gonk, Clowngate, Nosegate, Mouthgate, Cuntgate or any other amusing 'Gareth' putdowns from MO that I trip over during the course of a visit...​

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

we have beaten Ireland wales scotland all 3-0

holland away spain away Croatia Belgium Denmark Germany home
we have not lost a world cup Q 15w 4d 0L eurpean Q 7w 0d 1L

the best chance of winning any thing for years was the last 2 comps and we bottled it big time
That's my point mate, we've won loads of friendlies or meaningless games and you're right we've done exceptionally well in qualifying against the likes of Andorra and San Marino but when push comes to shove in big games he fails every time. Negative, naive and tactically inept

Hold on, which Jamie Carragher are we talking about? This one:- Screenshot_20220618-130549_Google.jpg

That's my point mate, we've won loads of friendlies or meaningless games and you're right we've done exceptionally well in qualifying against the likes of Andorra and San Marino but when push comes to shove in big games he fails every time. Negative, naive and tactically inept
think you point of view is spot on to be honest
no matter who the boss is we bottle it
i do think a lot of people on here want him gone for all the other bull shit and not the football

As for Jamie Carragher calling the fans idiots (It takes one to know one JC) for booing the team after the Hungary game isn't justified.
The same cunt that spat at a bloke and his daughter for trying to banter him over a defeat to Man utd. The man's another mate of the media that drives a wedge between players and fans.

Last edited:
Good objective article reflecting our thoughts on here!

Gareth Southgate doesn’t know what he’s doing​

England’s second favourite status for the World Cup in Qatar now seems ludicrously optimistic​

15 June 2022, 10:30am
‘The Hungar Shames’ screamed the Sun after England suffered a mortifying 0-4 defeat to the not so mighty Magyars last night. The game was England's worst home defeat since 1928. England now face the humiliating prospect of relegation from Tier B of the Nations League where they may join the likes of Armenia, Montenegro, and Albania. The shambolic, shapeless, performance against determined but limited opposition (Hungary are ranked 40 in the world) came on the back of three consecutive dismal outings (one goal in six hours of play, and that a penalty). England’s second favourite status for the World Cup in Qatar now seems ludicrously optimistic.
Ordinarily there would be serious questions raised about the manager’s position after such a debacle. But, despite fans chants of ‘You don’t know what you’re doing!’, not here. Gareth Southgate is immovable, thanks to his freshly inked contract extension which will keep him in the job until 2024 (at £5 million a year). This was reward for the accumulated credit of a World Cup semi-final, Euros final and straightforward qualification for Qatar; along with, probably, his nice manners and impeccable progressive credentials (supporting his players taking the knee, for example).
But does Gareth Southgate know what he is doing? And is he worth £5 million a year? On the surface reaching the semis of a World Cup and final of the Euros are unquestionable achievements for a nation used to hitting a quarter final brick wall in major tournaments. But below the surfaces are awkward realities like the exceptionally favourable pathway at Russia 2018 opened up by a rather dubious defeat to Belgium in the first round; and the huge advantage of playing mainly at home in the Euros; and some large slices of luck en route to that final. What few question is that Southgate made a mess of the World Cup semi and the Euros final, with an inflexible game plan in both and a controversial, some would say inexplicable, selection of penalty takers in the latter.
England’s second favourite status for the World Cup in Qatar now seems ludicrously optimistic
All this highlights just how difficult it is to truly evaluate Southgate’s, or arguably, any manager’s true value and contribution. All the man in charge can really do is try to create a good atmosphere in the squad (probably a Southgate strength), pick the team, and then hope for the best. During the actual games, he can prowl around the ‘technical area’ looking pensive and concerned (Southgate), or leap around in frustration at perceived injustices (Graham Taylor). He can make substitutions that sometimes, perhaps fortuitously, appear to work, but usually make no difference; and he can bark instructions through cupped hands that, even if heard, probably confuse as much as help.
Common sense dictates that nothing much can be achieved without a decent team. Just as Lewis Hamilton won’t win an F1 race in a Williams, so Jurgen Klopp is unlikely to have much joy at Norwich. The key metric by which any manager should be judged then is how successful they are in relation to the quality of the squad available to them, and the opposition faced. By such a calculation Southgate plummets, with what most would regard as a wealth of talent at his disposal and yet a record against major sides, and recently not so major sides, that is little better than his predecessors.
Yeah but he could still walk into a brick wall with a hard on and only break his nose.

I do think as England fans we go in to every euro /world cup thinking we can win
Hahaha, speak for yourself fella.

Southgate record as England boss is good
Against certain and weaker opponents it is, well apart from Columbia, Iceland, Scotland etc. He was out thought and left scratching his chin against Mancini in the final. You can dress it up all you like but the man's a bottler and limited tactically. He did well on home soil against inferior teams, plays a holding midfielder against the mighty San Marino, plays sideways football and comes unstuck against better sides that are managed by winners, both as players and managers.

Gonkgate isn't employed on the strength of managerial prowess, one relegation at club level don't get you the international job.

Last edited:
I think you'll find that it's the manager that bottled it bigtime and not the players. You don't bring on penalty takers in a final after 70 minutes if you have the nous and belief that you can win. You don't select Tyrone fucking Mings because ' he speaks well ' if you want to win anything, you don't select novices to take penalties.