The first time I saw Millwall outplayed at home

10 October 1960: At home to Chelsea in the League Cup lost 7-1. I think Greaves got a couple and so did one of the Sillett brothers.

Not 100% sure, but think we were still in the game at half-time but they ripped us apart in the2nd half 🤦‍♂️
How old are you lot?
Was the cup called the Alan Hardaker Trophy at that point?
& quiz question (I’ve no idea what the answer is) but how many different names has the League Cup had?

How old are you lot?
Was the cup called the Alan Hardaker Trophy at that point?
& quiz question (I’ve no idea what the answer is) but how many different names has the League Cup had?
Are you including the The Football League Cup and the EFL Cup as one or two styles?

20th January 1974.
Although the first professional game played in England on a Sunday was an F.A. cup tie, Cambridge v Oldham.
6th January 1974.
Just checked: the Southern League game I reported on at Cheltenham Town was on Sunday 13th January 1974. 2.15 kick off (to avoid using floodlights).

Dave Lewis, Cheltenham's record goalscorer with nearly 300 goals, restricted himself to just 5 that afternoon...

Last edited:
Alan Hardaker Trophy
League Cup
Milk Cup
Rumbellows Cup
Carling Cup
Coca Cola Cup?
Carabauo cup
Then I gave up!
You've missed:
Littlewoods Cup
Capital One Cup
Worthington Cup

So, take out the Alan Hardaker Trophy, which it was never called, and add the present EFL Cup to the Football League Cup as you suggested, the answer is...

Thanks Whisky, at least I didn’t cheat & Google it. I remember my Dad taking me when Swindon won it in 69, a bit of a shock result if I remember (I did Google the year though)

Thanks Whisky, at least I didn’t cheat & Google it. I remember my Dad taking me when Swindon won it in 69, a bit of a shock result if I remember (I did Google the year though)
Top man.

Mind you, you are taking a risk getting anything about football from Google. Some if the entries are mind-blowingly incorrect.

Yes, Chelsea, Spurs, Grimsby, Merson Ipswich et Al have done us at home and Fulham are way down the list however good they were.

Historic game: our first-ever in the League Cup.

Yep, we were only 2-1 down at half-time, Burrudge netting for us.

You are right about the scorers. Greaves helped himself to a brace (no disgrace there: he ended the season with 41 First Division goals from 40 appearances). Left back Peter Sillett also got a couple and their veteran centre back Bobby Evans scored his one and only Chelsea goal. The other goals came from Peter Brabrook and Johnny Brooks.

It was also an historical game because it was the first time - so far as I can trace - of Millwall having five different goalscorer against them who were already full internationals.

All had played for England except Evans, who had collected 30 or 40 Scottish caps.

By the way. Chelsea two rounds on played at Doncaster...and won 7-0....!!!
Thanks Whisky👍

Nice to know my memory is surviving the test of time! 😉

Am I going mad,but sure I remember Ray Wilkins(rip)going into goal against us at the new den,not long after we moved,QPR I think,pulled of a couple of worldies and they beat us with ten men?
Then again my memory is fucked so who knows

I was there that night no one could get near Greavesy. His ball control and balance was something special. Think Alf Ackerman was our centre forward that night. Good player for us.

The biggest football lesson I remember was Swansea at home, last game of the season about ten years ago. They played more triangles than the London philharmonic orchestra. Lost 3-0, could’ve been double that. Lovely day. Sobering performance.