Team v the Blades

silverlion

Staff member
A tough first away fixture in the league. They are no mugs and are hotly tipped to be there or thereabouts at the end of the season. On the flip side we made a decent start to our league campaign and sit on the top of the league. We also have a decent record there and they probably think of us as their bogey team so they will be trying extra hard to get three points on Saturday. They only lost narrowly to Boro last weekend and they are another highly fancied side to be in the top six come the end of the season.
Following Tuesday‘s debacle at Cambridge I can confidently predict changes. Bradshaw is crocked but there has been nothing on the OS to say how long he will be out for. Forgive me for being a cynic but how can you train all week, go through copious stretching exercises in training and pre match, have one shot in the first minute and be crocked for weeks. It beggars belief! Add to that Honeyman got his first red card of the season so he is suspended and the Flying Dutchman is crocked for 3/4 weeks so we have less options than we did seven days ago.

I confidently predict that Bart will wear the gloves. Long is a decent keeper but there was no blame on conceding once at Cambridge. It was as far into the corner of the net as it could be and he stood no chance. The first big issue is whether Danny starts or Leonard takes his place. There is little on the OS to say that Danny has signed his new contract and I think he is playing a waiting game to see if somebody comes up with big bucks to sign him before the end of the transfer window. He has nothing to lose. Our decent offer is on the table but if somebody else comes in then he can say that we have offered him £x and to sign him he wants £y. If that doesn’t happen then he just signs for us in September. Many on here say that as a Millwall lad from a Millwall family then he should sign for a club where his heart is. It is not quite as simple as that as it is a short career and you play for whoever pays the most. We shall see! The next debate is whether Cresswell plays or not. Hutch is back, Cooper is nailed on with his shooting boots already packed and Murray can play in the back three. But do you play Molly? If you do then Cresswell has to be benched but if not play Murray at LWB and start Cresswell.

Midfield has issues too. If you play two holding midfielders and a ten you need a partner for Billy who must be nailed on. Sav would fit the bill as his partner but then who do you play as a ten? GR probably thinks that Burey could fit that role but I am not entirely convinced. He spends too much time in a free role and the ball goes over his head too much. He needs to be driving the play, not watching it. We have Leonard as an option as long as he doesn’t play him at RWB. The obvious replacement is Shack but whether he can play as a ten is a good question.

Up front has few options. Benik must start but Bradshaw can’t partner him. I am not sure you would chance Olaofe following Tuesday when he should have got a hat trick. He will be pleading for another start but GR will put him on the bench and use him as an impact sub. Bennett is the answer and his aggressive play can be a bonus as the second striker.

My thoughts are,

Bart
Danny Cresswell Hutch Cooper Murray
Billy Sav Shack
Benik Bennett

Subs Long Leonard Molly Muller Evans Burey Olaofe

A tough first away fixture in the league. They are no mugs and are hotly tipped to be there or thereabouts at the end of the season. On the flip side we made a decent start to our league campaign and sit on the top of the league. We also have a decent record there and they probably think of us as their bogey team so they will be trying extra hard to get three points on Saturday. They only lost narrowly to Boro last weekend and they are another highly fancied side to be in the top six come the end of the season.
Following Tuesday‘s debacle at Cambridge I can confidently predict changes. Bradshaw is crocked but there has been nothing on the OS to say how long he will be out for. Forgive me for being a cynic but how can you train all week, go through copious stretching exercises in training and pre match, have one shot in the first minute and be crocked for weeks. It beggars belief! Add to that Honeyman got his first red card of the season so he is suspended and the Flying Dutchman is crocked for 3/4 weeks so we have less options than we did seven days ago.

I confidently predict that Bart will wear the gloves. Long is a decent keeper but there was no blame on conceding once at Cambridge. It was as far into the corner of the net as it could be and he stood no chance. The first big issue is whether Danny starts or Leonard takes his place. There is little on the OS to say that Danny has signed his new contract and I think he is playing a waiting game to see if somebody comes up with big bucks to sign him before the end of the transfer window. He has nothing to lose. Our decent offer is on the table but if somebody else comes in then he can say that we have offered him £x and to sign him he wants £y. If that doesn’t happen then he just signs for us in September. Many on here say that as a Millwall lad from a Millwall family then he should sign for a club where his heart is. It is not quite as simple as that as it is a short career and you play for whoever pays the most. We shall see! The next debate is whether Cresswell plays or not. Hutch is back, Cooper is nailed on with his shooting boots already packed and Murray can play in the back three. But do you play Molly? If you do then Cresswell has to be benched but if not play Murray at LWB and start Cresswell.

Midfield has issues too. If you play two holding midfielders and a ten you need a partner for Billy who must be nailed on. Sav would fit the bill as his partner but then who do you play as a ten? GR probably thinks that Burey could fit that role but I am not entirely convinced. He spends too much time in a free role and the ball goes over his head too much. He needs to be driving the play, not watching it. We have Leonard as an option as long as he doesn’t play him at RWB. The obvious replacement is Shack but whether he can play as a ten is a good question.

Up front has few options. Benik must start but Bradshaw can’t partner him. I am not sure you would chance Olaofe following Tuesday when he should have got a hat trick. He will be pleading for another start but GR will put him on the bench and use him as an impact sub. Bennett is the answer and his aggressive play can be a bonus as the second striker.

My thoughts are,

Bart
Danny Cresswell Hutch Cooper Murray
Billy Sav Shack
Benik Bennett

Subs Long Leonard Molly Muller Evans Burey Olaofe

That is a very good looking side, @silverlion. I like it. Bennett and Afobe up top could be a handful and it will benefit Afobe to have another striker alongside him to occupy their three centre-backs. I do think that Malone will play as he appears to be first choice LWB and Leonard will start instead of Danny, who Rowett appears to have the arsehole with. I think Hutch will be benched.

If I was Leonard and I got dropped after how well he played against Stoke I wouldnt be happy. Also Cresswell has to start whether Hutch is fit or not. Bradshaw should start thinking of a career after football as to be injured as regularly as he is I cant see him playing for much longer. Add to that the Dutch lad and only a matter of time before Bennett is back on the treatment table and yet again we are looking at a season plagued with injuries. The good thing is we have better back up in most positions this season except maybe up front but hopefully that will be addressed before the window closes.

Not sure about the line up but would take a point and would imagine we will set up hoping for one

Last edited:
An entertaining 3-3-3-1.
Forget 5 at the back let’s try 3 banks of 3.

Bart

Hutch Cooper Wallace

McNamara Evans Topalloj

Shackleton Leonard Malone

Cresswell

The amount of people that put hutch in the 11,the geezer has been a liability now for over a year! The defence looks alot tighter and comfortable without him in my opinion

Bart
Leonard, Cresswell, Cooper, Murray
Shackleton, Billy, Saville, Molly
Benik, Lenny

I'd like to think he won't slip into defensive mode and go 5 at the back but think he will.

Bart
Danny, Cresswell, Hutch, Cooper , Murray
Leonard, Billy, Saville, Molly
Benik
Time will tell
COYL
Tough game in one of many northern shite holes.

Last edited:
I would take a draw right now , a point will be a decent return but getting an early 3pts away would be nice , Bradshaw new Dutch and Honeymonster are all a big loss but we have plenty of option's to cover ,
Bart is a cert
Danny will only come in if Leonard moves to midfield imo as he played well last week and it would be a bit naughty dropping him for a unsettled Danny .
Cresswell must start so Hutch will have to warm the bench
Does GR partner Sav with Billy or move Leonard up ? ,don't be surprised if Evans plays instead .Shakleton may be the answer and sav as a no 10
Afobe and Bennett up top will be a good parnership but the two players signed to feed them are missing so it may not work this week .

This is NAD’s take on the team.

Millwall predicted XI: 5-3-2: Białkowski; Leonard, Cresswell, Hutchinson, Cooper, Wallace; Shackleton, Saville, Mitchell; Afobe, Bennett

Probably an element of truth in their selection.

This is NAD’s take on the team.

Millwall predicted XI: 5-3-2: Białkowski; Leonard, Cresswell, Hutchinson, Cooper, Wallace; Shackleton, Saville, Mitchell; Afobe, Bennett

Probably an element of truth in their selection........

...... my dear Watson.

:thumbup:

Injuries, suspensions, squad suddenly looking thin, coming off a bad defeat on Tuesday, away from home against a promotion favourite.........................