Team v Reading

silverlion

Staff member
An opportunity to bounce back after a poor and pointless display on Saturday. They are two points below us and smarting from a home defeat on Saturday against Bournemouth. There will certainly be changes from Saturday’s line up to give us some energy and threat. The lowlights showed only one poor effort from Jed and we always seem to be two yards off them for the entire game. Setting up not to lose backfired on us in Huddersfield but I would be very surprised if GR’s approach is any different tomorrow. Playing five at the back can also be deployed to help the attack if the two wing backs can get forward and bolster our forward play. If they are forced to defend and play deeper or they are not adventurous in getting forward then the whole system collapses. For me, key to this is to start Danny at RWB. He can get forward well and I cannot understand why he was not even in the squad on Saturday. He looked fine when he came off at the end of the Stoke game after a good ten minute cameo and did not look injured. There is no news about his omission so I can only assume that he has fallen out with GR or was injured in training.
One certainty is that the big Pole will wear the gloves. I am hoping that Danny makes a welcome return to the side. The back three of Ballard, Hutch and Cooper pick themselves but is there any doubt over Moll? He certainly has not been playing well and getting forward to support the attack with any threat. Is it time to give Murray a start? It’s a tough call.
Midfield is always an issue and they were certainly ineffective at Huddersfield. I cannot seeing GR leaving Saville out but should he be partnered by Leonard or Dutch. For me Leonard gets the nod. Up front has issues too. Ojo was the invisible man on Saturday so he either needs a kick up the rear, benching or replacing by Bennett who gives you aggression on the left. Bradshaw needs better service on the floor or do you start Smith?Jed should be nailed on.

My thoughts are,

Bart Danny Ballard Hutch Cooper Murray
Leonard Saville
Jed Bradshaw Bennett

Subs Long Pearce Molly Dutch Billy Ojo Smith

Want to see us attack this mob early.

Bart
Danny Hutch Cooper MWallace
Jed Leonard Mitchell Ojo
Bradshaw Afobe

Subs Long, Malone, Smith, Saville, Bennett, Dutch, Ballard

Put Danny back where he belongs, stick Leonard in the middle where he plays best, give Ojo targets in Bradders & Benik up top.

If Ojo isnt cutting it, replace him with Malone to drive down the channel.
Benik/Brads not cutting it or run out of puff, stick Smithy on.
Tell Jed to focus on not taking on the world & hasnt got to do every mans job, take the pressure off of him. Focus on getting down the flank & get the balls into the forwards.

Come on Wall, bounce back from Saturday & get at this load of crap.

Last edited by a moderator:
No good playing two strikers who like the ball on the floor who will not get the service they need to be effective and will get pushed back deeper and deeper as the game goes on, as we have seen numerous times.

Until Rowett changes his boring defensive tactics, the only option we have is for Smith to start which keeps their defence from playing higher up the pitch and putting us under constant pressure which is not helped by not being able to retain the ball.

Not Ono Ojo and Jed - in mid - never it in midfie shifts - show ponies. One at most and I wd saw start without either as dare Mahoney to deliver

No good playing two strikers who like the ball on the floor who will not get the service they need to be effective and will get pushed back deeper and deeper as the game goes on, as we have seen numerous times.

Until Rowett changes his boring defensive tactics, the only option we have is for Smith to start which keeps their defence from playing higher up the pitch and putting us under constant pressure which is not helped by not being able to retain the ball.
Agreed mate but, Bradshaw got the service he needed a couple of weeks ago & scored twice. Both balls to feet.
It showed we can do it, but the manager & the players need to acknowledge that this is how it needs to be played to win a game!
If its not working, then kick the fuckers up the ars for not delivering the service needed & stick Smith on as the target man. He can either score or set the other striker up.

We can do it, we've proven to do it. Just need to stop fucking around playing negatively & do what works!

Hopefully manager & players do the right thing!

Murray has scored more goals than Molly this season, and should have scored against Someone at home, so why not change them over?

Want to see us attack this mob early.

Bart
Danny Hutch Cooper MWallace
Jed Leonard Mitchell Ojo
Bradshaw Afobe

Subs Long, Malone, Smith, Saville, Bennett, Dutch, Pearce

Put Danny back where he belongs, stick Leonard in the middle where he plays best, give Ojo targets in Bradders & Benik up top.

If Ojo isnt cutting it, replace him with Malone to drive down the channel.
Benik/Brads not cutting it or run out of puff, stick Smithy on.
Tell Jed to focus on not taking on the world & hasnt got to do every mans job, take the pressure off of him. Focus on getting down the flank & get the balls into the forwards.

Come on Wall, bounce back from Saturday & get at this load of crap.

Agree 100% with this. As much improved as Leonard is these days as we saw at Huddersfield he hasn’t got the pace to play RWB and is much better in midfield. It’s ok putting him at the back if we’re under the cosh in the last 15 minutes but going forward we need Danny Macs speed and crossing ability.

Leonard does deserve a mention for the phenomenal effort he put in at Huddersfield, he was one of a handful of players that genuinely looked like they were busting a gut for the shirt. Put him in the middle in place of the ineffective and woefully out of form Saville.

Agree 100% with this. As much improved as Leonard is these days as we saw at Huddersfield he hasn’t got the pace to play RWB and is much better in midfield. It’s ok putting him at the back if we’re under the cosh in the last 15 minutes but going forward we need Danny Macs speed and crossing ability.

Leonard does deserve a mention for the phenomenal effort he put in at Huddersfield, he was one of a handful of players that genuinely looked like they were busting a gut for the shirt. Put him in the middle in place of the ineffective and woefully out of form Saville.
Agreed mate.

Tbh, if I never saw Saville in our shirt again I wouldnt cry about it. Hes shocking.

Leonard was superb against Stoke in the middle. Find something works? Fucking stick to it.

I would pick a 4-4-2, I would have to go with Hutch and M.Wallace, Cooper is out of form and Ballad or Hutch don't play their best on the left side of the 2 CB's.

Bart in goal
Danny at left and malone at right back
Wallace and Bennett on the wings, with Leonard and Saville in the middle, I know lots of people want to drop Saville, but I would like to see him play 3 games in a 4 man midfield, that is
Smith and Bradshaw up top

Think to a man they need to up their game and take it to the opposition , not putting in 100% is not acceptable.

NAD’s take on the team.

Possible Millwall starting XI: 5-2-3: Bialkowski; Leonard, Ballard, Hutchinson, Cooper, Malone; Mitchell, Saville; J Wallace, Bradshaw, Ojo.

Not sure why you would leave out Danny. The article also says that the only one he couldn’t pick was Evans who is crocked. It looks to me the same side that played poorly at Huddersfield. Maybe he has given them all a chance to show what they can really do?

NAD’s take on the team.

Possible Millwall starting XI: 5-2-3: Bialkowski; Leonard, Ballard, Hutchinson, Cooper, Malone; Mitchell, Saville; J Wallace, Bradshaw, Ojo.

Not sure why you would leave out Danny. The article also says that the only one he couldn’t pick was Evans who is crocked. It looks to me the same side that played poorly at Huddersfield. Maybe he has given them all a chance to show what they can really do?
Bloody hope not Silver.

NAD’s take on the team.

No matter how many times it gets posted don't look any better. 😂

Bart
Danny, Ballard, Hutch, Molly
Jed, Leonard, Billy, Ojo
Bradshaw, Bennett
Bart
Danny, Ballard, Hutch
Jed, Leonard, Billy, Molly
Bradshaw, Afobi, Bennett
Or
Probably none of the above.
5 at the back at home again more likely, asleep by 8.05.

We have to go at Reading from the off, so Drawett has to go 4-4-2 with this…..

Bart
Danny Hutch Cooper M Wallace
Jed Leonard Mitchell Ojo
Bradshaw Smith

…..but we know he won’t!

We have to go at Reading from the off, so Drawett has to go 4-4-2 with this…..

Bart
Danny Hutch Cooper M Wallace
Jed Leonard Mitchell Ojo
Bradshaw Smith

…..but we know he won’t!
Hopefully he won't. Starting with Smith is the equivalent of playing with ten men. What has Ballard done to be dropped? Cooper has been way off the mark this season but you chose him over our most solid centre back.

:hmmm: