Team v Preston

silverlion

Staff member
A tough game against an in form side. They are 7th in the league and three points above us so we shall need all we have got to get anything from this one. We have had success there recently so we shouldn’t throw the towel in just yet. Our problems have not been in defence but in attack and we haven’t put the ball in the net for three games. GR would not just have worked on shooting in training but how to create decent chances for our strikers who have been firing on blanks lately. Some would sat they just haven’t been firing!

Long has done enough to retain his place and the same can be said for Danny, Cooper and Cresswell. The later should be able to see well enough to play despite the shiner he got against Hull. It was good to see Hull’s appeal on the red card was rightly rejected. The first big question is do you bring back Murray after his one match ban or stick with Molly who had a decent game last week and hit some great crosses. It really depends whether GR thinks he needs more defensive solidity with Murray or is he going for all three points with Molly playing higher up the pitch. It’s a tough call.

Midfield has no issues and Billy and Sav should be nailed on. The idea of playing three attackers behind a lone striker has not paid dividends in the past three games. Is it time to play two strikers and two wide players? His options are to play Flem and Honeyman and maybe Vogi and Bradshaw up front. Or maybe Flem and Bradshaw up front with Vogi and Bennett wide. Or even more progressive and play Bennett and Bradshaw upfront with Flem and Honeyman behind. Whichever way you look at it things must change or we never score a goal.

My thoughts are,

Long
Danny Cresswell Cooper Murray
Billy Sav
Flem Honeyman
Bennett Bradshaw

Subs Bart Molly Evans Shack Styles Vogi Burey

I think we need a front two and not wanting to change Billy and Sav I’d like to see a straight forward 442 and try Fleming up front.

Long

McNamara Cresswell Cooper Wallace

Honeyman Mitchell Saville Malone

Bradshaw Fleming

I think we need to stop playing honeyman as a winger,he drops back to deep aswell. Not he’s s fought, just not he’s rite position. Play shacks there instead

We are one of the lowest scoring away teams and have one of the worst away records. GR and the rest of the coaching team must know this - but no signs of trying anything new eg 2 strikers

Much as a good idea, I cant see GR playing Malone as a winger, but he would do as well as Burey or Bennett.

The back 5 looks likely to be with Wallace. I think Styles should start, and if not Honeyman

Upfront, the Slammer still looks a bit off the pace to me, I would play Bradshaw, but he needs someone up there with him, if Afobe not fit, Bennett plays, if he can get up to full speed, we are always a better team if he play. An outside chance of Olaafe, why not, this could be his chance.

Disappointed with Burey last week, but showed some glimpses, but sometimes he needs to do less with the ball, and not take a man on every time and to be fair, I still think he doesn't get the ball passed to him at the right time, put it in front for him to run onto. But if a sub, a great impact player

Long
Danny Cresswell Cooper Murray
Billy
Sav Fleming Styles
Bradshaw Bennett

This is NAD’s take on the team.

Long; McNamara, Cresswell, Cooper, Wallace; Mitchell, Saville; Styles, Flemming, Voglsammer; Bradshaw

Long
Danny, Cresswell, Cooper, Molly
Shackleton, Billy, Saville, Bennett
Flemming, Voglsammer
Ball on the floor please.
COYL