Team v Hull

silverlion

Staff member
Another tough game in our last four cup finals. They might be near the bottom of the league but they have won their last two games, one of which was away at Middlesborough. Their last game they beat Cardiff, but they defended like a pub side so you can’t read too much into that. They have nothing to play for so they just as well go for it rather than sit back and let us roll over them. On the flip side we have got everything to play for and a win is what we really need. We played OK at Preston but we will need more than that if we are to win. GR will have watched their last game and will be looking to put out a side to get us all three points. Do we need changes? After listening to GR’s post match interview I think he has changes in mind. He said we needed more energy and composure and that Billy was running on empty after so many consecutive games. We will certainly need all the attacking options we have got, a strong bench and remember to wear our shooting boots!
Who wears the gloves is not an issue and Long will have to be happy to warm the bench. Bart had little chance with Murray’s OG but made some decent saves during the game. Danny will be keen to get his boots on and try and find the net again. Ballard has Hutch breathing down his neck again and GR might consider a change there to give us more leadership and impetus from the back. Cooper was solid on Saturday and I expect him to start alongside Murray who has strict instructions to put the ball in the right net!

Midfield has issues. Billy was at fault for the first goal when he gave the ball away cheaply on the half way line, a ball over the top found their Bob Marley lookalike, Danny was nowhere to be seen and Bob’s cross was slotted home neatly by Murray. Billy did the same thing later in the game but we survived. So, if Billy warms the bench do you play Saville in his place or even change the shape and play Ojo. Dutch is probably nailed on unless two games in three days are too much for his little legs.

Depending on the midfield set up determines who plays up front. Burke has pace but little more and there could be a strong argument for playing Benik and Bradshaw as a partnership with Jed either wide, a roaming role or as a ten. Whichever option GR chooses he has got to press forward with urgency and purpose to get a win. There are some tough calls to make.

My thoughts are,

Bart
Danny Hutch Cooper Murray
Dutch Saville Molly
Jed Benik Bradshaw

Subs Long Ballard Leonard Billy Ojo Burke Burey

Think your spot on with that line up, possibly Ballard to start purely down to fitness but could see Hutch come on in the game….COYL

I agree with one exception, would drop Afobe as his touch is shocking, seems like his brain isn't in sink with his feet.