Strange tactics

‘ArryBoy

1. Once Hull went down to 10, why did we not go pressing man to man marking when their defenders came out of defence. They simply strolled about and made easy progress up the field. Hull have the worst defence in the division!
2. With Coops and Creswell getting manhandled at free kicks and corners, where are the tactics to deal with this? Eg put a player between coops and their defender?
3. When we play out the back, it’s always the same robotic progress, where centre backs give to one of our full backs. Why not some times play aggressively up the middle?
4. Three games no goals - why not consider 2 forwards at home?

CYOL

We needed to put another striker on up front to give them less space to pass the ball & waste time but Rowlett tactics played into their hands , we are slow & predictable because our back four cannot pass the ball with any accuracy and they sussed us out on corners with 2 men grabbing coops shirt all game and apart from the very first corner we really did not look.like scoring from one

I think the back 4 and midfield 2 are solid. Its ahead of them we just need to sort. The 3 attackers are no where near each other when we go forward leaving Bradshaw isolated and outnumbered. Perhaps we need to move Fleming to Centre Forward to partner Bradshaw or someonelse as he is better attacking than defending. To me it’s like playing a Sheringham style player in midfield. Malones crossing is good as is Honeyman’s so I’d like to see them in a 4 man midfield with Sav and Mitchell.

We needed to put another striker on up front to give them less space to pass the ball & waste time but Rowlett tactics played into their hands , we are slow & predictable because our back four cannot pass the ball with any accuracy and they sussed us out on corners with 2 men grabbing coops shirt all game and apart from the very first corner we really did not look.like scoring from one
When teams are consistently breaking the rules in rugby you’ll find the opposition coaches coming out in the press to flag the issue to the referees. Cooper has been fouled like no one’s business in the last 3 games, anywhere else on the field it’s a free kick but in the oppositions box it’s ignored. Send the footage to the football authorities and have a word with the officials before each match and ask them how they intend to referee that part of the game as nothing will change until we start highlighting this type of foul play.

1. Once Hull went down to 10, why did we not go pressing man to man marking when their defenders came out of defence. They simply strolled about and made easy progress up the field. Hull have the worst defence in the division!
2. With Coops and Creswell getting manhandled at free kicks and corners, where are the tactics to deal with this? Eg put a player between coops and their defender?
3. When we play out the back, it’s always the same robotic progress, where centre backs give to one of our full backs. Why not some times play aggressively up the middle?
4. Three games no goals - why not consider 2 forwards at home?

CYOL
We simply didn't press as a team.
I think you've hit the nail on the head the playing out the back is Rowett's plan A. Time and time again Hull played a ball into an attacker who had peeled off of our defenders and did so with some success. Whereas we prefer to play it out wide and get a cross into an area packed with opposition defenders. I thought we was crying out for 2 up top.

When we play out the back, it’s always the same robotic progress, where centre backs give to one of our full backs. Why not some times play aggressively up the middle?
I think this is our biggest problem at present. Neither Billy nor George has the ability to play a ball through the middle to feet making us too predictable. Inevitably our wide players are given no space resulting in passes back to the CDs or a hopeful launched ball (normally at Bradshaw).

I reckon there were 4 occasions yesterday when we managed to get the ball to Flemming’s feet and each time he created an opportunity. GR really has to get to grips with the problem.

When Evans came on I thought he, with his better range of passing, posed them some different challenges. Perhaps try Evans instead Saville.

On the subject of the high press when they went down to 10 men you have to remember that when Burey’s on the pitch defensively we’re a man short!

Within 30 seconds of coming on Bennett had already won a ball and put them under pressure!

Last edited:
I don't think getting the ball out wide and throwing crosses in to one small striker (Bradshaw normally) works.
I think the diamond would work better, one from Evans/Leonard/Mitchell at the back, two from Saville/Mitchell/Honeyman Leonard in the middle and Flemming as the ACM. With a front two between Bradshaw/Afobe/Slammer/Bennett.

When teams are consistently breaking the rules in rugby you’ll find the opposition coaches coming out in the press to flag the issue to the referees. Cooper has been fouled like no one’s business in the last 3 games, anywhere else on the field it’s a free kick but in the oppositions box it’s ignored. Send the footage to the football authorities and have a word with the officials before each match and ask them how they intend to referee that part of the game as nothing will change until we start highlighting this type of foul play.
👏👏

I think this is our biggest problem at present. Neither Billy nor George has the ability to play a ball through the middle to feet making us too predictable. Inevitably our wide players are given no space resulting in passes back to the CDs or a hopeful launched ball (normally at Bradshaw).

I reckon there were 4 occasions yesterday when we managed to get the ball to Flemming’s feet and each time he created an opportunity. GR really has to get to grips with the problem.

When Evans came on I thought he, with his better range of passing, posed them some different challenges. Perhaps try Evans instead Saville.

On the subject of the high press when they went down to 10 ten you have to remember that when Burey’s on the pitch defensively we’re a man short!

Within 30 seconds of coming on Bennett had already won a ball and put them under pressure!
They need to learn to play between the lines.

Difficult to get a movement going forward when the front players are static.
I sit in the Barry Kitchener circa midway between halfway and the goal and am level with most of the forwards initial movements and, take my word for it, they make numerous runs but time and time again the ball is not delivered. When it is delivered they’ve often strayed offside.

I believe the problem lies primarily with the inability of the midfield and back 4 to deliver an attacking and timely pass.

Three games without a goal against relatively weak opponents, tells it's own story. Whatever tactics or system we are using is not working. Our Manager has shown he is prepared to change things at the back, let's see if he is prepared to do the same in attack.
Is it my imagination, or do several of the team seem disillusioned with how things are going ? Tyler Burey seems isolated and a bit detached from his teammates. Young and raw yes, could he do with a Mentor, someone whose opinions he respects to help his development?
Voglesammer, lacks pace to be a winger, and looks like he wants to see the goalie to operate, looks miserable.
Fleming seems so laid back and lack any sense of intensity. Does he want it bad enough to care? Undoubtedly a good player who should be bossing the game, but doesn't.

I sit in the Barry Kitchener circa midway between halfway and the goal and am level with most of the forwards initial movements and, take my word for it, they make numerous runs but time and time again the ball is not delivered. When it is delivered they’ve often strayed offside.

I believe the problem lies primarily with the inability of the midfield and back 4 to deliver an attacking and timely pass.
We play by numbers, the regulars in the crowd know exactly where the ball is going to be passed at any given time in the game when we have possession and so do oppo managers.

We are only a threat from set pieces which is where most of our goals come from.

Thought refs this season were supposed to be clamping down on shirt pulling and holding in the penalty box?

If true, why isn’t GR highlighting this to the ref’s association, showing video clips to back his claims up?

We can’t get anything from those games retrospectively, but it might make those who divvy out which ref goes where, think twice about giving those useless fuckers to us again this season, whilst also pulling them up about the shit decisions they’ve made against us!

If true, why isn’t GR highlighting this to the ref’s association, showing video clips to back his claims up?
Who's to say that he or the bacrkoom staff aren't doing that? Every fucking time we don't win the digging starts, same when Harris was here, One fucking loon was convinced that he was sending us out to lose cause he hated the fans. The internet has a lot to answer for,seriously.

One of the best, ever. I can't think of many refs who got the respect this bloke received. From professionals and supporters alike.
But fuck me, he freaked out the kids. :grinning:

maxresdefault.jpg

Difficult to get a movement going forward when the front players are static.
Vlog put some decent balls into the blox, i suspect that he knows what a striker wants yet there was no one there. Afobe gets slaughtered, a goal scorer that feeds off of the type balls that Vlog delivered, reckon we missed him yesterday. Bradshaw, who i don't think much of gets awaywith doing next to fuck all most weeks. We're a strange bunch at times!

From what I’ve read today he is flagging it especially during the game to the 4th official but I think he needs to take a leaf out of the Rugby coaches books and put the onus on the referee by asking him ‘immediately before the game’ how will he deal with that aspect of the game so he can communicate that to our team. It might help focus the Ref’s mind and memory as to what he should be penalising.

Members online