So, Jed…

He’s probably earned a ton of money from those expensive transfers, so I doubt he’s short of a few bob!

Perhaps now, at his age, and with a family, he might want to lay down some roots, and would see that joining us would be a good career move? We are now an established Championship side. Supporters seem to have taken to him (and him to them), and next season could be a pivotal one if we can attract better players that will give us a chance of the play offs or (whisper it), possible promotion!

Why give that chance up, just because he (and no doubt his agent), dig their heels in, over not accepting a cut in wages that would make it more financially affordable for the club? If we got promotion next season, every player’s contract would probably improve anyway, so Afobe could very well end up with his Stoke salary, but with the added bonus of playing with us in the Prem!

There doesn’t seem to have been any interest from other clubs (from the Championship down), so his only alternative is to go back to Stoke and languish in the reserves, hoping that he might get the odd start (or come on as a sub), next season! A football career is a short one, and no player wants to be playing in reserve games (regardless of what they’re being paid.) They want to be out there, playing, and in Afobe’s case, banging the goals in!

For that to happen, Afobe and his agent must be prepared to work with the club on this, to ensure the best outcome for both parties moving forward!

In a few years time, Afobe can always sign for Charlton in non league, just as his career is coming to an end! They would love to have a forward who could score 15+ goals a season! Who knows? Afobe might actually fire them back into league 2! 🤣🤣🤣
Sadly there seem to be many footballer's not playing first team football that are happy to get rich whilst playing reserve team football.
A lot of youngsters at the top clubs are already made millionaires before playing first team football, if they ever do.
We need to make sure every player we sign has the desire to give 100% whilst under contract.
Add to that you have agents whose only interest is to get their client another contract as soon as possible after he has just signed one and you can see why football doesn't deserve the respect it currently has.

I just looked at Norwich for an example and saw Sam Byram, left leeds for west ham in Jan. 2016 for 4.5m and in 6 1/2 years since then he has played for 90 minutes 40 times and his total minutes add up to less than 53 games.
8 games a season, 1 game per month and I'm sure he won't be looking at a conference club at £500 a week just so he can play every week.

Twelve goals. As for wage thief- a stupid and lazy offering that you often hear from thick people. We are paying a percentage of his wages, he's our top scorer. Using your braindead logic Jed has robbed us blind this season if you think Afobe's a wage thief.

You're right on one point, he's not been at twelve clubs.
if you want him at the club that's fine ..you have your opinion and i have mine......to me a total waste of money and if you have seen him play in all.the games that I have then you might have a different view ...offered exactly nothing in one of the most important games yesterday( and not for the first time) & is a lazy player , plus if you add all his loans / transfers he has moved 26 times.
, we need do better then him in the new season if we want to.progress

If you can read go to his wiki site and it lists all his transfers / loans.....26 in total since 2010 .....£36 million in transfers deals...unless he has bojo managing his career then it could be anything

I agree 84 but he will have to lower his wage demands. We just could not afford to pay him the £30k he is on at the moment. We split it 50/50 with Stoke at the moment but if he expects us to pay him the whole £30k then he is dreaming. It would upset the dressing room big time and …..frankly…I don’t think he is worth that kind of money.
Apparently, from an inside source, there was much upset in the dressing room that Luke Freeman was on £30k and only played 11 minutes for us at Fulham and seemed unconcerned about regaining fitness and getting back in the team. I assume that we were only paying half of his inflated wages but that is still a lot to pay for a slacker.

I agree 84 but he will have to lower his wage demands. We just could not afford to pay him the £30k he is on at the moment. We split it 50/50 with Stoke at the moment but if he expects us to pay him the whole £30k then he is dreaming. It would upset the dressing room big time and …..frankly…I don’t think he is worth that kind of money.
Apparently, from an inside source, there was much upset in the dressing room that Luke Freeman was on £30k and only played 11 minutes for us at Fulham and seemed unconcerned about regaining fitness and getting back in the team. I assume that we were only paying half of his inflated wages but that is still a lot to pay for a slacker.
Yeah i agree, if he was to take a pay cut then we should sign him. No player can or ever will hold us to wage demands and i wouldn't want to sign any player that has an attitude that will upset the dressing room.

We have the summer now to hopefully rebuild on what we achieved this season to go one better next season. With players leaving that will free up more wages, still curious to see where Jed will end up.

Last edited:
Afobe really does divide opinion. Prior to the Huddersfield game I was firmly in the 'get rid' camp, but since then he has been effective (6 goals; 1 assist in 9 games). Having said that, I still think that his first touch is terrible and he's poor at holding the ball up.

Should we try to keep him? For up to £1.5m (or on loan) and 15k/ week wages maybe, but imo - given our relative lack of resources and our wage structure - anything over and above that sort of outlay is hard to justify based on this season's performances as a whole.

Afobe really does divide opinion. Prior to the Huddersfield game I was firmly in the 'get rid' camp, but since then he has been effective (6 goals; 1 assist in 9 games). Having said that, I still think that his first touch is terrible and he's poor at holding the ball up.

Should we try to keep him? For up to £1.5m (or on loan) and 15k/ week wages maybe, but imo - given our relative lack of resources and our wage structure - anything over and above that sort of outlay is hard to justify based on this season's performances as a whole.
I think that wages and signing on fee is going to be what makes him a good/bad signing if we get him.
Can we get him on a 2 year contract or will we have to have him on a 3?
Whatever we pay will be money gone as we won't get a fee for him at any stage and how much drop in wages will he take?
I'd have him on 10k a week but don't expect him to drop to that and Rowett wants him so I'm expecting him to be one of our bigger earners if he signs, if he ups his defensive work then that won't be so bad.