So if Luton do lose 3 - 0 on Monday?

Can see Forest beating Bournemouth tbh and getting 2nd place
I want Forest to wipe the floor with them cause i think they'd be crestfallen, i do think forest will beat them. Parker is a Charlton boy, he won't be doing us any favours even if his team were home and hosed.

I was thinking I wanted Bournemouth to win on Tuesday so they’ve got nothing to play for on Saturday. But the opposite could work for us as well. Imagine they lose to forest, there’s massive pressure for them to win on Saturday, and they’d have to hope hill will get something v forest.

the pressure could get to them and we could Nick a 1-0. If the football gods are smiling down on us and Reading beat Luton and boro fail to get a win, unlikely I know, then we would have Bournemouth in the playoffs. And I’d rather have them in the play offs than forest, as they’d be crestfallen after missing out on automatic promotion, and forest are in much better form at the moment and seem to be on an unstoppable run.

All ifs and buts I know but stranger things have happened in football. I’m just going to enjoy watching it on Saturday as it’s a free hit for us, because before last night we never had a chance at all.
Never mind ‘ifs and buts” Wippa, how about what May or may not happen? 😉

The permutations

If Millwall don’t win it doesn’t matter what happens in the other games.

Millwall win

Two of Middlesbrough, Luton and Sheffield United win – Lions miss out

Middlesbrough win, Luton lose, Sheffield United lose (with six-goal swing) – Lions finish sixth

Middlesbrough fail to win, Luton and Sheffield United both get a result (win, draw) – Lions miss out

Middlesbrough fail to win, Luton lose, Sheffield United win or draw – Lions finish sixth

Middlesbrough fail to win, Luton win or draw, Sheffield United lose (with six-goal swing) – Lions finish sixth

Middlesbrough fail to win, Luton lose, Sheffield United lose (with six-goal swing) – Lions finish fifth

Final-day fixtures

Saturday, May 7 (12.30pm)

AFC Bournemouth vs. Millwall

Luton Town vs. Reading

Preston North End vs. Middlesbrough

Sheffield United vs. Fulham

Always the same when you look back on the season loses away to peterbough when winning , brizzle city winning & fkd it up
fkn derby always teams at the bottom
Yep, they were bad results, but personally I think we threw it away in three of the games we had in April!

We were what, 10th in the table when we lost 1 nil at home to Swansea? Passing wise, they played us off the park, but that was because we sat back too much, and gave them too much space. Once we went behind, Rowett should have changed from 5 at the back to either 442, or 433, but didn’t! Jed was poor that night and got subbed, but none of the other players played any better! We had a few chances that weren’t taken, and it should have at least got us a draw! It wasn’t to be and it was a point lost!

We went into the away game at Preston, on the back of having thumped Barnsley 4 - 1 at home! Momentum should have been with us, but we started badly, and paid the price with a Murray Mint OG! He made amends a bit later with a cracking bullet header to bring us level. The 2nd half was end to end, and both sides had chances, and if not for some woeful misses from our players, we could have won the game comfortably. 2 points dropped there!

The 1st half away at Birmingham we kept it 0 - 0 at the break. Then threw all that good work away, by going behind, as we did at home to the Swans, a couple of minutes into the 2nd half! Thankfully we equalised with a poacher’s goal from Burke, and from there we should have gone for the jugular, but didn’t! In a moment of madness, Saville gave away a penalty and Taylor scored from the spot kick! Our blushes and our season were saved by a 98th minute penalty, which Afobe calmly slammed home! It was an overall lacklustre performance, coupled with the baffling and ridiculous decision by Rowett to drop Billy from the starting line up, which cost us 2 extra points that day!

So, all in all, 5 points over three games were lost! With Luton losing 7 - 0 away at Fulham yesterday, we would now be in 4th place in the play offs, and 2 points above both Sheffield United and Luton (of which the latter would now be sitting in 7th place!)

Yep, they were bad results, but personally I think we threw it away in three of the games we had in April!

We were what, 10th in the table when we lost 1 nil at home to Swansea? Passing wise, they played us off the park, but that was because we sat back too much, and gave them too much space. Once we went behind, Rowett should have changed from 5 at the back to either 442, or 433, but didn’t! Jed was poor that night and got subbed, but none of the other players played any better! We had a few chances that weren’t taken, and it should have at least got us a draw! It wasn’t to be and it was a point lost!

We went into the away game at Preston, on the back of having thumped Barnsley 4 - 1 at home! Momentum should have been with us, but we started badly, and paid the price with a Murray Mint OG! He made amends a bit later with a cracking bullet header to bring us level. The 2nd half was end to end, and both sides had chances, and if not for some woeful misses from our players, we could have won the game comfortably. 2 points dropped there!

The 1st half away at Birmingham we kept it 0 - 0 at the break. Then threw all that good work away, by going behind, as we did at home to the Swans, a couple of minutes into the 2nd half! Thankfully we equalised with a poacher’s goal from Burke, and from there we should have gone for the jugular, but didn’t! In a moment of madness, Saville gave away a penalty and Taylor scored from the spot kick! Our blushes and our season were saved by a 98th minute penalty, which Afobe calmly slammed home! It was an overall lacklustre performance, coupled with the baffling and ridiculous decision by Rowett to drop Billy from the starting line up, which cost us 2 extra points that day!

So, all in all, 5 points over three games were lost! With Luton losing 7 - 0 away at Fulham yesterday, we would now be in 4th place in the play offs, and 2 points above both Sheffield United and Luton (of which the latter would now be sitting in 7th place!)
So what you are saying is that instead of just top 6 form which we've been on since Dec, if we had top 2 form we might be even higher in the table.

Anything can happen. They turned over Sheff Utd a few weeks ago at Bramell Lane. Also put 4 past Swansea. Luton under massive pressure now to win. Without a few players also. Pressure can do all sorts, come 3pm on Saturday we'll see what pressure does to them. Today will be a massive headache for them. Anything can happen, this is Millwall after all....
Think you mean 12;30. By 3pm the game will be over

So what you are saying is that instead of just top 6 form which we've been on since Dec, if we had top 2 form we might be even higher in the table.
For what it’s worth, over the last 5 games we are the fourth best team in the league with eleven points, over the last 10 games we are the third best team with sixteen points & over the last 15 games we are the fifth best team with twenty nine points. We’ve actually got more points than Fulham during all three of those periods but they came out of the blocks a bit quicker

We are 20/1 with Bet365 to finish in the top six, it was 100/1 before Fulham’s match yesterday
Ridiculous odds as always. Bookies always win.
Realistically, we won't catch Sheff U.

If one of these three things happen there is no play-off for us.
1. We don't win.
2. Boro win.
3. Luton draw (or win).

Now what would you say are the chances of at least one of these things happening?

Just back from my time travels and the results were

Fulham 7 Luton 0
Bournemouth 1 Forest 0

Luton 0 Reading 1
Preston 1 Boro 1
Sheff Utd 1 Fulham 2

Bournemouth 0 Millwall 1 (Afobe 90+4)
Two down, Three to go and really you can forget Sheff Utd result

Alright I said Fulham 4

Ridiculous odds as always. Bookies always win.
Realistically, we won't catch Sheff U.

If one of these three things happen there is no play-off for us.
1. We don't win.
2. Boro win.
3. Luton draw (or win).

Now what would you say are the chances of at least one of these things happening?
The above treble:
Millwall to win 14/5
Reading to win 11/2
Preston to win or draw Evens
Pays 48/1 with Bet 365 right now although they are only going 25/1 for us to make the top six. However you do have to factor in the chance, however slim, that we can beat Bournemouth and Fulham thrash Sheffield Utd which increases our chances slightly.
Put it this way, last Friday evening after QPR lost I wasn’t going, but now I’m not selling my ticket!

We've thrown nothing away. The season ends in may. Using your logic you could argue that we should be no where near a play off spot. Who you gonna blame for the injury time goals that have won us points?
with the baffling and ridiculous decision by Rowett to drop Billy from the starting line up, which cost us 2 extra points that day!
The manager explained why Billy never played unless you know different of course. How a player not even on the pitch has cost us points is baffling to say the least. You'll be a barrel of laughs if we don't beat Bournemouth. You dig deep to find fault and blame Rowett for allsorts but it's him and his decision making that has helped us to the very healthy position that we're in and done with next to nothing spent. Shame you can't acknowledge these things and jump the gun without knowing the facts.

You've slagged and criticised the manager all season, every fucking time we drop points you're on him. He's mugged you off fella, we're potentially four games away from being promoted, fuck being in the trenches with you.

We've thrown nothing away. The season ends in may. Using your logic you could argue that we should be no where near a play off spot. Who you gonna blame for the injury time goals that have won us points?
I know it all evens up at the end of the season - win some we shouldn’t and lose some we shouldn’t. Further up the thread paddym thought we’d lost points at Peterborough and Bristol City, and Eastsussexlion mentioned if we’d only hung on when we were winning at Luton. That’s their opinion. All I’ve said in my post is that, IMO, we lost those three games in April, which were in between three great results: a draw away at Luton, and two home wins against Barnsley and Hull. That’s what I meant about throwing it all away - we lost momentum in those games! Sheesh!
The manager explained why Billy never played unless you know different of course. How a player not even on the pitch has cost us points is baffling to say the least.
I know what the manager said - Mitchell had played 31 consecutive games for us, when there was only 2 games left to play - Peterborough and Bournemouth. Yet Rowett dropped him because, “I didn’t start him Saturday because I just felt the games were catching up a little bit. I felt as though to dip him out for a game might give him the chance to come back in with a little bit more zip about his performancesouldnt .”

Really? Having played the lad for 31 consecutive games, and had formed a good partnership with Saville, yet he drops an influential player for Kiefenbeld (who can’t do half what Billy does in a match), in a game we had to win to keep in with a PO shout, and against a potential banana skin of a club in Brum that would have loved to have spoilt our party that day! Once again, I wasn’t the
only one on here that thought it strange Rowett dropped a 21 year old with a non stop engine, with 2 games in a season left to go! But… oh well…
You'll be a barrel of laughs if we don't beat Bournemouth. You dig deep to find fault and blame Rowett for allsorts but it's him and his decision making that has helped us to the very healthy position that we're in and done with next to nothing spent. Shame you can't acknowledge these things and jump the gun without knowing the facts.
Firstly, I won’t be ‘anything’ if we don’t beat Bournemouth, because I’m not expecting us to beat them! If, somehow we do, then I’ll be delighted, because I would love to spoil their party when they‘ve already shown off their Championship trophy to their supporters!

Other than my saying he was wrong to drop Mitchell, when was the last time I found fault with Rowett? I remember you saying something like ‘fair play to you mate’ when I said on here how pleased I was that Rowett had removed the defensive shackles to go on that great run, with the major injuries we had at the time! Somehow, you seem to have forgotten all that! I was impressed and delighted that Rowett had turned the corner that I, and others on here, wished he would, and thankfully he did! Time and time again I have told you that I will keep backing Rowett as long as his dull, defensive football doesn’t rear it’s ugly head again, but you keep forgetting that I’ve made this comment several times now!
You've slagged and criticised the manager all season, every fucking time we drop points you're on him.
See my paragraph above.
He's mugged you off fella, we're potentially four games away from being promoted, fuck being in the trenches with you.
How can he have mugged me off, when I’m happy for the bloke to succeed and be our manager, since he ditched his old style of football?

This is the best finish Rowett’s had to a season since he’s been with us! That is progress, and maybe the reason (if Rowett stays), that JB might be prepared to give him more money for better recruitment next season, so if we fail this time, we might have a better chance of promotion next season!

If anybody should be excited at the prospect of being four games away from potential promotion, it’s me! Didn’t you dig me out earlier in the season, saying that all my posts about wanting us to get to the Prem were drivel and ridiculous, and here you are now, getting yourself excited at the prospect of getting at least to the play offs, and maybe beyond!

I did slowly, through the season, come round to your way of thinking that we wouldn’t be good enough to survive in the Prem, and I said in one post that we needed younger and better players to give it a good go once we did get there. That’s why I’m hoping, if Rowett stays, that he will buy in and get the right balance of young and experienced players we will need to go up automatically!

Peckham, I’ll be the first to hold my hands up when you’ve got me bang to rights (and I’ve said and done this when it’s happened in the past), but I don’t believe you’re right here.

It is, after all, just a forum of opinions!

Really? Having played the lad for 31 consecutive games, and had formed a good partnership with Saville, yet he drops an influential player
He's explained why, He and the coaches, fitness team are all wrong and some geezer on the internet is correct. Mitchell has played in games that we;ve lost, how do explain that if you;re putting down the draw against Birmingham to Mitchells absence?.Your logic suggests that had Mitchell played all season we'd win every game? Why do you blame the manager when you're expectations and theories don't come to fruition?
Other than my saying he was wrong to drop Mitchell,
Own it, don't try that bollox.

How can he have mugged me off,
You've knocked him all season yet we're in with a shout of some glory. He's proved you wrong- mugged you off. Wasn't it you that named him Drawett? The manager himself has said that we don't have the players to go all out, he's got the best out of a limited squad. You wanted him gone, questioned every decision that doesn't go with your far fetched idea's. You're still at it today, blaming him for dropped points as though it's as simple as blaming one man.

and here you are now, getting yourself excited at the prospect of getting at least to the play offs, and maybe beyond!
Point me to where i've said i'm excited about the prospect of going up, ta.

Last edited: