Referees today

BigPaul

I don't watch the Premiershit, so I don't often see VAR and all the controversy surrounding it, so the England v Germany match interested me.

It seems to me that the ref simply did not bother giving the 2 penalties in the sure and certain knowledge that VAR was going to give them anyway.
In both cases he was a short distance away with a very clear view, but waved away appeals both times.
When I watched Slabhead commit that first foul for the German pen, the first thing I said was Penalty! It was clear to me watching on the telly that it was a pen, but the ref, 10 yards away said no.

So, is it often the case that refs do this?
In the second case, it was a really nasty foul that he saw fit to book the player for AFTER he had seen the TV replay.
It's a worrying trend because how many fouls, maybe serious will they not bother to give in other parts of the pitch?
Refs could be sleepwalking to redundancy at this rate.

I actually thought the ref did ok last night but I agree with you it’s maybe a bit of a cop out for the refs having VAR.
I actually said to my lad watching the game last night how did the ref not give that straight away he had a perfect view of it.
That's my main point.
VAR was introduced, as I understand it, to eliminate mistakes. It now seems to be replacing referees.

Agreed. Thought the first penalty last night was nailed on so was surprised the ref didn't call it.
Thought the 2nd was 50/50 till' I saw the replay.

It seems letting play continue uninterrupted and called back if required is what the authorities want?

That's my main point.
VAR was introduced, as I understand it, to eliminate mistakes. It now seems to be replacing referees.
Had mentioned to Peckham on another thread that the same thing was done here with baseball. It began with, "This will be a limited usage situation with instant replay."
Now, they're working on replacing umpires with robots and already have in some minor leagues. It's all on us- as much as we sometimes despise and despair poor and/or biased/corrupt officiating, we must accept that human nature- sometimes even the shittiest parts- is part and parcel of sport.. We've got to hold the line against the urge to make everything perfect and/or "fair." It's inhuman and ugly. There's that sobriety talking again, BP...

VAR should not be used, football has worked fine without it for years, the great thing about football is you can play the game exactly the same way as the pros do, without a high end camera.

The refs have to justify the cost of the var system and all their mates behind the scenes , we now have up to 6 officials getting it wrong & the actual ref on the pitch too afraid to make a decision unless the voice in his ear says so.I

Reactions: Owl
The Authorities must realise that VAR is NOT the referee. Scrap it and bring back the final and total authority is with the referee....however useless he may be.
Had a long think about your comments and decided I agree but maybe use it for goals (did it go over the line)

Do agree with with VAR turning in to being the ref

In most matches throughout the season with decisions you win some and you loose some

As for linesmen what are they now there for, the ref gives the decision for who has the throw in watch his hands when the ball goes out of play

Had a long think about your comments and decided I agree but maybe use it for goals (did it go over the line)
In fairness, the goal line technology seems to be working very well. Our goal against Blackpool would almost certainly not have been given without it.
I don't recall anyone complaining about this technology following any match in the UK.
There is no delay as the ref is alerted immediately and the goal is given straight away.

The system for over the line or not is excellent. His watch buzzes he signals a goal whilst pointing tovhis watch. Works perfectly and a simple system.