Players contracts

‘ArryBoy

I was listening yesterday to BBC London report of the game. The reporter said he had seen a list of Millwall players whose contract expires this season - and he said it was a surprisingly high number. I can only think of Jed, Bod, Bradders - and Mahoney? Anyone know anything about this?

If we don’t buy anyone in January, and assuming Rowett’s seen the light and we continue for the rest of the season playing the same as we did against Brum (big ask that), then surely the following players need, at the very least, another 1 year contract extension:

Afobe *
Ballard *
Bradshaw
Kieftenbeld
Leonard
Mahoney +
Wallace (M)

* (dependant on their respective clubs)
+ (dependant on Rowett seeing the light about this boys talent)

Jed looks like he’s off (unless we get promoted) so yeah, he’s off! Lol.
Ojo just has to go back to Liverpool in January
Bod, Thommo and Smith - each one will go on a free!

If we don’t buy anyone in January, and assuming Rowett’s seen the light and we continue for the rest of the season playing the same as we did against Brum (big ask that), then surely the following players need, at the very least, another 1 year contract extension:

Afobe *
Ballard *
Bradshaw
Kieftenbeld
Leonard
Mahoney +
Wallace (M)

* (dependant on their respective clubs)
+ (dependant on Rowett seeing the light about this boys talent)

Jed looks like he’s off (unless we get promoted) so yeah, he’s off! Lol.
Ojo just has to go back to Liverpool in January
Bod, Thommo and Smith - each one will go on a free!
Sounds just about right 🤔

The extent of the board's ambition will be shown in January. We have a real chance of making the play-offs but to do so will require some investment. Assuming that there isn't anyone in the U21s who can step up, then imo we need at least, 3 and probably 5 players to join the squad in January (RWB, CD, CF and possibly LWB and a creative midfielder). The board will also need to resist the temptation to sell Jed, and be prepared to see him leave for free in the summer if we fail to get promoted.

M.Wallace signed a new long term contract in February 2021 and Leonard signed a new one in August this year also so that keeps them at ours for the next 3 seasons?

We have never splashed big money on players and long may it continue, we have in my opinion the best Chairman in any division who runs a stable ship, since he arrived we have steadily progressed as a club, when we do arrive at our destination we will have the foundation in place to stay there.

We have never splashed big money on players and long may it continue, we have in my opinion the best Chairman in any division who runs a stable ship, since he arrived we have steadily progressed as a club, when we do arrive at our destination we will have the foundation in place to stay there.
Hope to be proven wrong, but I cannot see that JB is going to give Rowett any decent amount of money in January, to buy the players needed to get us to the top flight!

The January transfer window is not the best time to buy players, as there is usually very little good quality on offer. No clubs in the Championship top 6, going for promotion, are going to sell their best players to a rival club, unless those players have fallen out of favour with the manager (re: Mahoney), or cannot get any game time because they’re not classed as Championship quality (re: Thommo).

If by ‘destination’ you’re talking about the Premiership, then for the reasons I’ve stated in the above two paragraphs, that dream won’t come true with JB still at the helm!

IMO the only way we will get any decent investment is if JB decides to sell the club, and a company like Huski are interested in buying it! Even if Huski were interested, they don’t have bottomless pockets! It would take some financial investment in the squad to get us to the Premiership, and even more investment to keep us there! Would Huski be willing to splash the cash? That, as they say, is the $64,000 question!

I for one, would love to see us upset the cart and gain promotion to the premiership, I however would not like to see a whole heap of money come into the club and be spent on players who would go straight into the first team and win the league at the first try, that to me is just the easy way.
I would like us to keep going as we are and earn our way to promotion with improvement in the coaches, management team and youth setup, much more rewarding that way.

Its a dangerous game trying to buy your way into the Premiership, a lot have tried and failed miserably in fact very few make it and stay there, unless someone with bottomless pockets (Newcastle) comes in which is highly doubtful (would we sell our soul as they have ?) i would rather progress as we are now.

Its a dangerous game trying to buy your way into the Premiership, a lot have tried and failed miserably in fact very few make it and stay there, unless someone with bottomless pockets (Newcastle) comes in which is highly doubtful (would we sell our soul as they have ?) i would rather progress as we are now.
And carry on playing at 3 on a Saturday

I for one, would love to see us upset the cart and gain promotion to the premiership, I however would not like to see a whole heap of money come into the club and be spent on players who would go straight into the first team and win the league at the first try, that to me is just the easy way.
I would like us to keep going as we are and earn our way to promotion with improvement in the coaches, management team and youth setup, much more rewarding that way.
If (and it’s a big ‘if’) we gained promotion to the Prem, doing it the more rewarding way you have suggested would be great, but the club would still need a shed load of investment in the team to compete!

Yes, the youth set up is important, but a while back (when the team were playing poorly), we were crying out for Rowett to blood some more U23’s to play in the Championship, but he didn’t, and now he has opted instead to send those players out on loan!

As good as some of these U23’s are, we could not rely on them, or the current 1st team to help us survive our first season in the Prem! Not unless JB and the board were willing to spend several millions on a number of established Prem and/or foreign players that we would need to compete against Man City, Man United, Chelsea, etc. By all means integrate slowly one or two U23’s into the team that first season, but not at the expense of the established players you have bought in, as they will give you the best chance of Prem survival!