Penalties

lionheart48

When are the FA going to clamp down on the gamesmanship of goalkeepers performing during penalty shoot-outs such as last nights.
The rule should be that the penalty taker can take the kick whenever he is ready and if there is an empty net too bad such as in live play, the referee and penalty taker should decide when the ball is live and not the keeper who should have his drink bottle outside the area where he stands watching the previous penalty.

Last edited:
The referee already has it in his power to do what you suggest LH.
But, a bit of reinforcement from the FA would not go amiss.
Players will always do what they can get away with to gain an advantage.
As an alternative, the ref could have booked him the first time he did it and sent him off the second time.
No subs allowed during the penalty shoot, I think, out so they'd have been stuffed.

The referee already has it in his power to do what you suggest LH.
But, a bit of reinforcement from the FA would not go amiss.
Players will always do what they can get away with to gain an advantage.
As an alternative, the ref could have booked him the first time he did it and sent him off the second time.
No subs allowed during the penalty shoot, I think, out so they'd have been stuffed.
BP Sounds good to me.

when did the rule change from the keeper being on his line and not prancing around, or is that still the rule?
One foot needs to be planted at the time of the kick which allows the keeper to alternate feet as long as one is in contact with the line.
The ref needs to enforce that the keeper be in position the minute the kicker places the ball and he does not have to wait for the keeper to go walkabout or have refreshments.

While their at it stop the stuttered run up by the taker. You know like the ones England players tried, yes the ones that all missed.

While their at it stop the stuttered run up by the taker. You know like the ones England players tried, yes the ones that all missed.
Happy, a couple of years back I remember Harry Kane having a penalty chalked off and he was booked in a game a Wembley, I have no idea when and but a couple of months later in a European tournament every penalty was allowed to be taken in that fashion and from memory, the Kane incident was a one-off of that particular rule

When are the FA going to clamp down on the gamesmanship of goalkeepers performing during penalty shoot-outs such as last nights.
The rule should be that the penalty taker can take the kick whenever he is ready and if there is an empty net too bad such as in live play, the referee and penalty taker should decide when the ball is live and not the keeper who should have his drink bottle outside the area where he stands watching the previous penalty.
Extend it to during the game taking an age over goal kicks (hang on doesnt apply to Bart). Injuries, drinks breaks, unnecessary subs etc etc. The flow of a game and the 'gung ho' last 10 mins has been removed to the detriment of the supporters which is what I thought was a large part of the game; entertainment !!

I've noticed the refs are less tolerant of all the fairies falling over every two minutes this season and the game has been better for it. They all get up pretty quickly now they know the refs are playing on.

Totally agree with this but what would happen if it did, do they put an outfield player in goal or take a player off and replace the keeper (who might have to take one)

Totally agree with this but what would happen if it did, do they put an outfield player in goal or take a player off and replace the keeper (who might have to take one)
As far as I’m aware, substitutions are not allowed after the match plus extra time has been played.
My guess is that an outfield player would go in goal and one player from the other team would leave the centre circle, because teams in penalty shoot outs must have the same number of players.

Maybe Bexleyheath Lion can confirm this?

Surely the Scousers - with two Cups won already on penalties this season - can't do the same in the Champions League Final?
They'd likely moan like anything if Real beat them in a shoot out.