Outgoings on loan

LeonC

Four players need league one loan football to progress IMO. Olaofe, A. Mitchell, Muller and Burey. None are the finished article and will get little chance of first team football this season. I’ve included Burey because the lad needs minutes and will wilt being just a sub. Pompey are looking for wide attacking players so Olaofe and Burey could fit the bill. Charlton could be a good fit for Mitchell and Ipswich for Muller.

Last edited:
We don't get to choose where they would go to, Olaofe didn't make the starting line up at Sutton so why would a div. 3 club want him?
I think the Harris connection at Gillingham will come into play with one or two going there.
Not sure Burey will go until we get another forward in.
The positive thing about them staying is that they get to train with better players instead of lower league standards.

I agree with the exception of Burey. He didn't look completely out of place in the first team, often very raw at times but provided an option and scored some important goals. Having 5 subs this year would provide an ideal opportunity to bring him on more when the game dictates we need him or when we can give him minutes.
Also hasn't Burey been on our books now for a while? I wouldn't want him to think he is going nowhere at Millwall with being sent out on loan all the time and not renew his contract and end up elsewhere.

I agree with the exception of Burey. He didn't look completely out of place in the first team, often very raw at times but provided an option and scored some important goals. Having 5 subs this year would provide an ideal opportunity to bring him on more when the game dictates we need him or when we can give him minutes.
Also hasn't Burey been on our books now for a while? I wouldn't want him to think he is going nowhere at Millwall with being sent out on loan all the time and not renew his contract and end up elsewhere.
Burey reminds me of Ifill. Makes a lot of bad decisions but can turn a game. Needs to be involved our 1st team squad. Confidence and maturity will come.

We don't get to choose where they would go to, Olaofe didn't make the starting line up at Sutton so why would a div. 3 club want him?
I think the Harris connection at Gillingham will come into play with one or two going there.
Not sure Burey will go until we get another forward in.
The positive thing about them staying is that they get to train with better players instead of lower league standards.
Yes we do decide where they go on loan, we are the loaning club.

How would playing another season in League 2 progress any of these players ? Olaofe and Mitchell have both had a whole season in div 2 notching up 27 and 26 respectively. Muller has only been on loan at St Johnston Scottish premiership and Burey at Hartlepool.

League 2 would be a step down for all of them.

I agree Burey has shown bits of quality at times but needs 30+ games if he’s to progress not cameo sub appearances IMO.

Muller will probably be released at the end of this season.

We should look to loan Alex Mitchell to a League 1 side with a view to bringing him in to the senior group next season.

Olaofe has a make or break year ahead of him I feel. a League 1 loan, if he can cut the mustard, may see him have a chance of involvement either from January or for next year.

Rowett alludes to him needing to tidy up his touch and ball retention, but for me this is tough to coach in to someone especially at 22. If he hasn't got it now, he never will. Maybe that will stop him from hitting the high levels.

Burey for me needs to be in and around the first team this season. He will find himself getting minutes, no doubt about it.

Interested to see what happens to Topalloj this season as he hasn't been mentioned in any loan conversations to my knowledge.

If burey is 22 and not in the team he needs to move on. Shown some good stuff but for me not good enough, for our level anyway. Hope he proves me wrong.

Definitely keep Burey. Very quick, can beat a man, we haven't got many players like that.

The thing is with young players, you never know how they'll perform until you give them a go. Some sink, some swim. If they sink badly, their careers can be ruined. You have to be brave and give them a run of games. Rowett isn't a risky manager.

Yes we do decide where they go on loan, we are the loaning club.

How would playing another season in League 2 progress any of these players ? Olaofe and Mitchell have both had a whole season in div 2 notching up 27 and 26 respectively. Muller has only been on loan at St Johnston Scottish premiership and Burey at Hartlepool.

League 2 would be a step down for all of them.

I agree Burey has shown bits of quality at times but needs 30+ games if he’s to progress not cameo sub appearances IMO.
We can't tell another club to take our players on loan and play them, we can only choose between the ones that put in a bid to take them.

League 2 would be a step up from reserve team football so it depends how much time Rowett is going to give these players in our first team as to whether they are better off leaving or not.
For me, Burey is the only one that will get anytime with the first team and that will be limited unless we have an injury crisis or he becomes a lot more consistent.

With any young player wanting to break into the first team,firstly will need to be progressive and take his chance,he won't get many chances to shine so it's in his hands and grab the chance as there is always someone else who also wants your position