Our crowds

Looking at the year average we sit very close to the bottom of the table in terms of support, yes there are big clubs in the division and historically we cant match that but for a club to still have something to play for on the last day of the season to only average just over 12k is poor..

Not sure crowds make up a huge amount of the clubs income compared to TV and sponsorship but it makes a difference on the pitch.

We are hit hard at night games, lots have moved out of London and with some still working from home, the 40mins after trying to get a train makes it a nightmare, its starting to have an effect on support as well, once out the habit its tough to re start.

The club need to attract more local fans with cheap tickets for night games, it will change the atmosphere of old, sanitising the already sanitized stadium .

Its not how it was at the old Den, the CBL HALFWAY and THE ILDERTON had special feelings in them, also piss running down the terrace on the Halfway, like a reflection in society today its all so shit, it could be just an age thing , that said i remember thinking 4k was a good crowd then.

The football has been boring but effective, cant blame Rowett he has done well with on the £50 budget he gets , maybe its better to yoyo more, one shit season to moan about followed by promotion.

Thoughts , cant see a move working with the supposed redevelopment about to start, a big backer , nope not with our history .

maybe we are where we are and thats it , always punching .
If you want to attract younger locals mate, you'll end up with a load of students from goldsmith's complete with man bags, trousers that are a foot too short, and confusion over whether they are a man, woman or toaster. That and a load of immigrants.

Personally I prefer the crowd at midweek night games; yes it's much smaller but far less wankers in attendance, and generally a better atmosphere because of it.

Thing is the majority of our traditional support has moved out of Bermondsey and New Cross, but the club has remained there.

It's actually got me thinking... I've always been in the boat of "If Millwall moved out of the area it'd be the death of the club". But having just said the above I wonder if that would actually be the case...

No disrespect meant to those that still live walking distance from the Den, there are quite a lot still, I'm more remarking on the majority and the local youngsters.

The problem is Football used to be a sport and now its a business, The club have to go by the rules set by the government and the FA, and the knock on effect it now has on our fans has taken its toll over the years.

Fans no longer go as it's more of a pain in the arse then it is fun, the way the world is today with all the woke crap has made it all the more difficult, say boo to a goose and you get banned, stand up, you get banned, take a deep breath, you get banned.

We also have to compete with all the other clubs in London, and we are far from an attractive club to today's "Londoners" (why go to Millwall, they are racist, they are all hooligan's etc....) most of the old guard have moved away and the tradition of introducing family members as they grow up has gone with them.

I don't have the answer to what has to be done, but we do need to try and get new fans, something needs to change, even this season, some have said that they have seen a difference in the crowd, kids with other clubs shirts on, or people just been arseholes with cringe worthy attitudes and behavior.
Cringeworthy attitudes and behaviour.

Yep, saw that in spades last home game of the season. Wankers everywhere. Can't be doing with them.

Thankfully Peckham still has a staunch Wall following, loads of us still about and still see youngens in their Wall kits.
I went to see Merstham a few times last season (I can take the dog there and he loves it, especially the free burgers that they are gonna throw away at the end!) and each time I saw several little uns in Wall shirts.

Gave me a tremendous sense of well-being. I think even though the majority have moved away from Lewisham, the tradition of supporting your old man's club is alive and well.

An anecdote:

Mate of mines missus, G, is a local (to here) primary school teacher. A few months ago they had a mufti day and all the little uns wanted to wear their football kits. 99% of them turned up in Liverpool, Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea or Arsenal shirts.

Then G noticed Billy (that's what we'll call him anyway). Now Billy doesn't come from a very good home. He was wearing a Millwall shirt. G went over to him and said "Billy, I didn't know you supported Millwall?". "Oh I don't really miss", he replied, "nobody really likes Millwall. But I don't have my own football shirt so mum borrowed this off my cousin". G replied "Well I have a good friend J, who very much likes Millwall, and he'd be very happy that you were wearing their shirt".
Apparently Billy's face came over with a look of amazement and happiness at that!

When G told me about it I thought I'd contact the club and get Billy sent a full Millwall kit. But in this day and age I reckon G would probably be on a disciplinary if I did that, for sharing the story with me.

I'd say we have a good few walk up supporters mate, both tourists and staunch Wall that can't do enough games to justify a season ticket. On top of that i know many that do at least 15 home games per season but would never buy a ST for various reasons.
Yeah we do well with walk ups. One of the reasons why we had smaller crowds than charlton when playing at the same level but a bigger income. They sell loads of ST’s for peanuts. We had less ST sales but more walk ups paying full whack.