On this day 34 years ago

An absolutely marvellous day that will never be matched (until we go up again ;)), followed by the excitement that within a few months we’d be playing against the big boys of the First Division! And boy, didn’t we acquit ourselves well in that first season, finding ourselves top of the table in October, and holding our own in a fantastic 1 - 1 draw up at Anfield against the current league champions, Sniverpool. We so held our own that day: hitting the bar before that wonderful 5 man move resulted in Stephenson’s rocket firing it’s way into the roof of the Anfield net!

Even now, I look at that end of season table for 1988/1989, and still can’t believe that we finished one place above Alex Ferguson’s mighty Man. Utd!

What a fantastic 24 month rollercoaster ride that was! Wouldn’t for all the world, have missed any of it!

Like it was only yesterday, so many good friends have gone since that day.
We decided to pay the extra on the inter-city and the old bill made us come back on the cattle wagon football special that backed onto the ground to avoid the city center.
I always remember the fellah with the baby in the buggy after his wife went out for the day and left him babysitting at home.
The best football day of my life way above the semi and final at Cardiff.

An absolutely marvellous day that will never be matched (until we go up again ;)), followed by the excitement that within a few months we’d be playing against the big boys of the First Division! And boy, didn’t we acquit ourselves well in that first season, finding ourselves top of the table in October, and holding our own in a fantastic 1 - 1 draw up at Anfield against the current league champions, Sniverpool. We so held our own that day: hitting the bar before that wonderful 5 man move resulted in Stephenson’s rocket firing it’s way into the roof of the Anfield net!

Even now, I look at that end of season table for 1988/1989, and still can’t believe that we finished one place above Alex Ferguson’s mighty Man. Utd!

What a fantastic 24 month rollercoaster ride that was! Wouldn’t for all the world, have missed any of it!
742E4D4F-A6E5-4CA0-BFAB-CAD27040EA2D.jpeg

Indeed...
In January 1988, we organised our wedding, not thinking we would get to face Red Nose at The Den, let alone get promoted.

Then shit happens:

8 April 1989; Millwall 0–0 Manchester United....
The day of my wedding and I missed that game.
:slap:

:grinning:

Indeed...
In January 1988, we organised our wedding, not thinking we would get to face Red Nose at The Den, let alone get promoted.

Then shit happens:

8 April 1989; Millwall 0–0 Manchester United....
The day of my wedding and I missed that game.
:slap:

:grinning:
Blimey, Kryan, you mean to say your missus wasn’t prepared to put the wedding day back….?

Whatever happened to “Love, Honour and Obey?”

Words fail me! :grinning: