Oil Burke

He makes it clear his ambition is PL football, which is fair enough. He's been consistently one of the top 5 players in this division for a good few years and probably deserves a crack.

That being said, we all know he's probably not good enough. He goes and signs for someone like Southampton where the expectation level is sky high, he's no longer the main man and will probably be limited to bit-part football in a side that will be bottom half or struggling to stay up. That's hardly the dream.

I doubt anyone really begrudges Jed a move but, players just can't help themselves...
:grinning:

“I think people think sometimes you want to move so you can get a few extra quid in your pocket but it’s not like that for me,” he continued. “If it was I’d be on a flight to Istanbul."
:slap:

He said after his marriage. If his wife to be is a London girl she might have the say. Or it could depend on how good the stag night is and quality of the wedding presents.

They don't live far away from London, young family, just getting married... it will most definitely play in to his decision making.

He'll go wherever he'll get the most money. He can move and move again when he's done playing wherever he ends up.

Saw him after the peterborough game signing autographs , was saying how much he liked it here and would love to come back .,took time out talking to the young kids which a couple of our own couldn't be bothered to do. nothing to lose signing on a free sign him up can only improve once fully fit.

“What I will say is I have loved my time at Millwall and if that carries on I am more than happy with that.”

How can he say that, now that he knows we’re spending another season in the Championship, yet still goes on about playing in the Premiership next season?

Hedging his bets maybe? Seeing us as a safety net should no Prem club come calling during the summer?

Then he says…..

“I believe I can do it. I want to play at the highest level I can – whether that is with Millwall.

“I dreamt of that happening with Millwall. Millwall have been class all the way through.

“They have never put any pressure on me. The manager has been top drawer. I’m a huge admirer of the chairman.
“He has changed my life – for me and my kids. He is a great man.”

”Whether that is with Millwall”
- or…..? He doesn’t mention another club, which you would do in the context of the start of that sentence, so by not mentioning another club, does that mean he might be staying with us?

“The manager has been top drawer.” - I guess he’s referring to Rowett not putting him under pressure to sign a new contract, or could he mean he likes playing under this new, second half of the season attacking Rowett team, and would stay if that continued?

Answers on the proverbial postcard, please!

Last edited:
Burke is quality. I think we only saw a few moments of his potential last season. Has pace, aggression and physicality aplenty. Sort out his shooting boots and he could be the real deal for us. Other clubs will out - bid us, but a tempting basic, plus a pay by goals/results package should at least be offered.

Burke is quality. I think we only saw a few moments of his potential last season. Has pace, aggression and physicality aplenty. Sort out his shooting boots and he could be the real deal for us. Other clubs will out - bid us, but a tempting basic, plus a pay by goals/results package should at least be offered.

Was hoping Burke was going to be our first signing along with Afobe,bring back the young lad on loan at Sutton and give him a taste of Championship football to see if he can cope

Burke and Afobe are clearly on our radar but they would have to adapt their wage demands to fit in with our wage structure. Not doubt their agents are looking to see whether they could find a club willing to pay them a wage closer to what they are getting.

As for the lad at Sutton the jury is still out on him. I have no doubt that we have kept an eye on his progress at Gander Green Lane but he was not a regular starter for them at L2 level, which doesn’t paint quite the rosy picture we were hoping for. GR has said that he, along with Alex Mitchell who was at Orient will rejoin the club for preseason and then we can make a true assessment of whether they might fit into a side that came close to a play off position last season. My honest opinion is that Mitchell might make the grade with us but Oloafe might not. But….what do I know?

Burke and Afobe are clearly on our radar but they would have to adapt their wage demands to fit in with our wage structure. Not doubt their agents are looking to see whether they could find a club willing to pay them a wage closer to what they are getting.

As for the lad at Sutton the jury is still out on him. I have no doubt that we have kept an eye on his progress at Gander Green Lane but he was not a regular starter for them at L2 level, which doesn’t paint quite the rosy picture we were hoping for. GR has said that he, along with Alex Mitchell who was at Orient will rejoin the club for preseason and then we can make a true assessment of whether they might fit into a side that came close to a play off position last season. My honest opinion is that Mitchell might make the grade with us but Oloafe might not. But….what do I know?
Assume olaofe might not be good enough. He really needed to be scoring goals for fun if he’s to make it at a higher level.might be a late developer who knows.