No more match day programmes

Got the last 35 years of every home programme in binders in the loft. Last few years I’ve bought a programme and barely read it , fcuk all in it , but kept buying out of habit. Shame to see them go.

Most of the sort of stuff in a programme you can find on the club's website, the introduction to the away side being all that's unique. So yes programmes are a pre-digital age thing.

Very sad, always bought one. I've got a leather bound book, of all Programmes from start of season 1967, Got loads of programmes, It's because the demand for programmes has fallen, and costs of printing. It will not be the same for me. COYLIONS.

Maybe the club could produce them only for cup ties, especially if we play one of the big guns from the Prem!

At least then the youngsters that make up the next generation of Wall supporters, could have a nice keepsake to remember that special game (especially if we were to beat them!)

A stupid decision. It is something I've always bought and read and it is handy as a reference for future fixtures and referring to for previous match facts and who played. We don't all sit there prior to kickoff looking at our mobile 'phones and articles on tractors and their photographs

It's the way of the world lads ......... all about costs.

Many years ago, I worked at the agency which handled all of advertising and publicity for JCB.

They spent hundreds of thousands each year on brochures, catalogues and exhibition materials - it's all still available, but only as PDFs.

The savings must be eye watering!

Instead of sending a 600 page Parts Catalogue to each distributor and service centre worldwide every six months, now it's just click and collect.

Having said that, if anyone does go down the printed route I'd be happy to do the layout free of charge.

COYL!

Wildcat who used to post on here has just shared this on Facebook…

TO all Millwall supporters.
An Update
Many of you I know have seen the notice that I put on last week, raising my concerns about the
fact that Millwall F.C. have decided not to continue production of the matchday programme. I know a lot of you have commented and a few of you have offered to help out, writing articles and offering services.
This is an update to keep you all informed of where we are as a consequence.
We have now received notification from the club that they are happy for us to produce a “Supporter’s Matchday Programme”, which is great news for us, as it removes any problems with licensing of Football League tables, stats etc.
However, to set this project up takes an awful lot of planning and organisation, and we have already started the process, talking to printers and finding people to do the jobs that need doing to ensure that we can produce a great Matchday Programme.
We cannot promise the glossy, multi page programme that you have been used to, but we will promise that there will be a Matchday programme that will be unique to Millwall.
There will be further updates which will include requests for supporters to help out and get involved. But for now, please be assured, that the process is under way.

Really Good News. Wish you and those involved the best of luck. In the past, I always got more info about what really goes on, Millwall players backgrounds etc. From Lion Roars and away match clubs match day programmes.
Hope it works out for all of us and puts our so-called Management to shame.

and puts our so-called Management to shame.
They're a business and have to move with the times, it won't suit some but that's life. If it's not cost affective it makes no sense to carry on when it can be done online. The ground is cashless, it excludes some bods from spending money but no one batted an eyelid because it's only a minority that it affects, same goes for the matchday program.

They're a business and have to move with the times, it won't suit some but that's life. If it's not cost affective it makes no sense to carry on when it can be done online. The ground is cashless, it excludes some bods from spending money but no one batted an eyelid because it's only a minority that it affects, same goes for the matchday program.
Programme collectors are going to be a bit compromised.
Come and look at my memory stick. I’ve got every programme since they went digital in 2022!

Programme collectors are going to be a bit compromised.
Come and look at my memory stick. I’ve got every programme since they went digital in 2022!
They will but won't get bored of the ones they have and can read them daily. There's plenty of 'collectors ' making a nice wedge from it so i get why they're pissed off but tough shit.

My mate listened to a Wall podcast, the facts are the club are losing thousands a season on programmes and only 8 per cent of the crowd buy them down from 18 per cent ten years ago. The costs are printing, storing and paying image rights for pictures, tables, etc on top of paying someone for content and editing.

If you're running a business where only eight percent of your custom base bought a product i'd imagine you'd have to make a decision. Costs and lack of interest from you're customers make that decision very easy to make, in my opionion.

They will but won't get bored of the ones they have and can read them daily. There's plenty of 'collectors ' making a nice wedge from it so i get why they're pissed off but tough shit.

My mate listened to a Wall podcast, the facts are the club are losing thousands a season on programmes and only 8 per cent of the crowd buy them down from 18 per cent ten years ago. The costs are printing, storing and paying image rights for pictures, tables, etc on top of paying someone for content and editing.

If you're running a business where only eight percent of your custom base bought a product i'd imagine you'd have to make a decision. Costs and lack of interest from you're customers make that decision very easy to make, in my opionion.
That really surprises me that the take up is so low. I have a programme from every match I have ever attended as an adult. I assumed most people did the same.
So, in a crowd of 15000 only 1200 people buy a programme. I’m really shocked.
No wonder they are losing so much money.
It’s a real case of use it or lose it.
Sad, but I can understand it.
On the positive side, if they do produce a digital version, I’ll be able to read it from my sofa before watching a game at home.

It’s a real case of use it or lose it.
Absolutely.

On the positive side, if they do produce a digital version, I’ll be able to read it from my sofa before watching a game at home.
I believe there will be some sort of physical match sheet available on matchdays. Not so sure about an online version. As well as that there's some supporters willing to continue producing some sort of programme.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted on social media

We have now received notification from the club that they are happy for us to produce a “Supporter’s Matchday Programme”, which is great news for us, as it removes any problems with licensing of Football League tables, stats etc.
However, to set this project up takes an awful lot of planning and organisation, and we have already started the process, talking to printers and finding people to do the jobs that need doing to ensure that we can produce a great Matchday Programme.
We cannot promise the glossy, multi page programme that you have been used to, but we will promise that there will be a Matchday programme that will be unique to Millwall.
There will be further updates which will include requests for supporters to help out and get involved. But for now, please be assured, that the process is under way.

Last edited:
Absolutely.

I believe there will be some sort of physical match sheet available on matchdays. Not so sure about an online version. As well as that there's some supporters willing to continue producing some sort of program.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted on social media

When I went to my first game in France I was surprised to see no match day programme. They give out a free information sheet with team news and a bit of club news on the other side.

It was probably because of programmes that I fell in love with football in the first place, or at least a big part of it alongside Match of the Day and The Big Match. In the late 70s when I was a kid and too young to actually go football there was an old fella on the estate who was a fanatical Millwall supporter and he would pass on programmes to my mum to give to me.

I would spend hours devouring every photograph of match action from previous games in glorious colour. It seems crazy now but back then all the pictures on the newspapers were only ever in black and white and seeing the likes of Nicky Chatterton and Dave Mehmet in that magnificent Bukta kit really brought the game to life in my own home. I would study every detail, rival clubs players and kits, club badges and even the crowd in the background too, empty gaps on the terraces on the halfway and the bright yellow of the crush barriers.

While it seems to be inevitable that with modern technology the traditional match day programme is on the way out a bit of me is sad that it feels like another part of what was our game is being lost forever.