My take on last night

silverlion

Staff member
It was a well needed win but it was not a great game to watch. The first half was pretty flat with little to get excited about except for two good chances for Benik, the first of which he should have put away. His movement was good and it was good to have Danny back looking lively down the right. GR must have had a good talk to them at the break and they came out looking more lively in the second half.
The game was calling out of an injection of life and this came with the arrival of Jed on the hour mark. He was busting a gut to get on with some energetic warm ups on the line in front of us in Block 29. He was like a recently opened bottle of champagne when he entered the fray and his enthusiasm quickly spread to the rest of the team.

The pass from Saville to Benik was a peach and the ref had little doubts about giving the pen. Jed struck it sweetly to the right which confused Bentley their keeper who dived energetically to his right and looked a plonker when he realised his error. They huffed and puffed but I don’t think that Bart had a serious save to make in the whole ninety minutes. Malone made a darting run on 85 but pulled up with what looked like a pulled muscle. Cooper came on, Murray moved to LB and we saw the last few minutes out with little drama.
It was my first look at Ojo and the lad shows real promise. He had a lovely drop of the shoulder in the first half and looks a threat. Hutch was very solid and Ballard had another good game. Near the end they pumped a ball down the middle and, despite two forwards around him he muscled them both out of the way and cleared the danger. Danny looked bright but looked as if he either had cramp or a pulled muscle in injury time. Saville looked sharp, Evans had a couple of moments and Smith laboured a bit up front. The introduction of Jed changed the game and he was impressive. They looked poor. They have won their last three on the road but they showed little threat.

And so onto Barnsley on Saturday where our big test will be to see whether we can keep this momentum going. Un beaten in six throughout last month is good so let’s hope it has given us some confidence.

I thought we were okay against a side that had won there last three away games. My gripe was Smith, he really was a passenger cause his legs have gone. Unless he comes on late as sub i don't think we'll get much in return from him. If he starts then surely we have to droop crosses onto his nut in and around the box. Afobe, i thought run his nuts off and seems to like playing here, perhaps give Bradshaw a chance with him cause he was playing to wide and doing to much chasing. A settled pairing up front may pay dividends.

Saville is starting to show glimpses of the player we saw before he left, Ballard is solid as a rock and Evans starting to get more involved. Danny Mac, superb, Mitchell very good and OJo looks lively although he was drawn into the middle at times. If we can create a few more chances and put them away then i think we'll push right up the table.

I could live with Wallace leaving if we use some money to bring in a player like Blackpool's Bowler. But I suspect Ojo is the replacement for Jed, and I don't see it yet.

Thanks Silver, good to read. I thought Saville was exceptional all night. Less sure about Ojo. It was a decent deserved win.
Don't understand Cooper on the bench, nor the Dutchman. One negative: what the hell do we do when Jed leaves in January, as everyone suspects?
I think we would have to force Jed's hand to go in February, He will get a better deal as a free agent at the end of the season.