Monk's chant at Cup Final

kinelloz

Any of you still have the link to the report about the Monk's chanr at the cup final - the 'low guttural roar' one?

I think it might have been Jim White who wrote the article. I thought I had it saved somewhere, I’ll have a look.

"Midway through the second half of the FA Cup final, about five minutes after a Millwall player had last touched the ball to be precise, a low groan began to emerge from the massed ranks in blue at one end of the stadium. "Merrr," it went, as if a herd of unhappy cows had been led into the stands. You kept expecting a second syllable, presuming this must be a precursor to the full-on Millwall cry of "Merrr-warr". But it never arrived, no matter how long the noise went on. And it went on for ages. Manchester United even scored their third goal in the middle of it and were not able to disturb its monosyllabic momentum. This was the football chant reduced to its most basic, a primal scream of loyalty, a growl of determination that no matter what happened, nothing would stop the underdog having its day out. It was the most defiant noise that can ever have been heard at a Cup final. Just a shame the players in blue couldn't live up to it."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't that the first ever chant of "YOUR SUPPORT IS F**KING SH1T" which we directed at United fans and has since been stolen by every single club in the country?

"Midway through the second half of the FA Cup final, about five minutes after a Millwall player had last touched the ball to be precise, a low groan began to emerge from the massed ranks in blue at one end of the stadium. "Merrr," it went, as if a herd of unhappy cows had been led into the stands. You kept expecting a second syllable, presuming this must be a precursor to the full-on Millwall cry of "Merrr-warr". But it never arrived, no matter how long the noise went on. And it went on for ages. Manchester United even scored their third goal in the middle of it and were not able to disturb its monosyllabic momentum. This was the football chant reduced to its most basic, a primal scream of loyalty, a growl of determination that no matter what happened, nothing would stop the underdog having its day out. It was the most defiant noise that can ever have been heard at a Cup final. Just a shame the players in blue couldn't live up to it."
Top man. Cheers

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't that the first ever chant of "YOUR SUPPORT IS F**KING SH1T" which we directed at United fans and has since been stolen by every single club in the country?
I can remember seeing the highlights and Fergie asked "what are they singing" ... once he was told i seem to recall he cracked out laughing lol