Millwall v Cambridge United in the Cobblers Cup

Early days, we are often a better team with Bennett in, so start him upfront off Adobe, if Bradshaw injured, it might be very precautionary, same as Fleming, Billy, Shakelton and Leonard across the middle with Danny back in, and that’s a decent team?

Not great, was it? 🤣

I can see GR’s reasoning for agreeing to play Cambridge this week, instead of next week (to give our players more match fitness time), and that’s all well and good, but what I don’t get is, why then play certain players who you know will almost certainly get a place in the starting 11 against Sheffield United?

Would have thought that the cup game tonight could have been used to give those fringe players more game time! Long got a start (as expected), and I understand Hutch playing, but GR didn’t risk Shackleton, yet he risked Cresswell. Burey could have replaced Malone, and he could have stuck with Afobe and Bradshaw up front (or kept Bradshaw on and paired him with either Bennett, Flemming or Olaofe), or given Honeyman’s No. 10 role to either Flemming or Bennett! Any of these players could have been given either 60, 75 or the full 90 minutes, to help get them up to speed!

As it was, it backfired on us, because Bradshaw is out for a while now, and Olaofe, who came on as his replacement, didn’t shine at all tonight. His performance was poor, and as it didn’t look like he pulled up any trees during pre-season, I’m starting to wonder if Olaofe is going to make it in the 1st team proper (as I hoped he would), or whether he is destined to leave and sign for a league 2 club, which is perhaps more his level?

We’ve also lost Honeyman for the Sheffield game as well, and he will be a big, big loss! Honeyman is going to get a number of bookings this season (and maybe even a red or two?), and whilst GR doesn’t want to remove Honeyman’s aggression, he has to be mindful when to sub his No. 10, or else the player is going to be facing a number of 1 or 3 match bans which won’t help him, or the rest of the team!

Was hoping a win tonight would consolidate last Saturday’s performance and give us the confidence to beat United, and it could still happen if Cooper has his shooting boots on again, but it’s going to be a lot harder to achieve without Bradshaw and Honeyman!

COYL!

No, Oloafe picked up an injury

To be fair Oloafe should have scored at least 1, probably 2, but he needs more chances before a judgement is made, he's quick, hard working, direct, wins aerial battles, just needs to find his shooting boots
This, he pulled up running down the wing after a ball he could have got to.
I really don’t think GR wanted to substitute him after the miss in case it shattered his confidence but personally I would have put Afobe on with 20 mins to go. There were 700 plus of us that had paid good money to go and I think we deserved better, however the consensus on the drive home was that with Bradshaw injured he didn’t want to risk Afobe before Saturday

it was good to see Oalofe play (more or less a full game) - he has potential but i dont think that potential is championship level - didnt hit the target early in the 2nd half 1on1 then got gifted one of the easiest chances you'd think he would finish 99/100 and this was the one time he missed. Also hit the bar with a header that the keeper had covered.

I dont think he ran enough. At times was just standing around when he should have been running non stop showing GR he was ready for the 1st team.

I would be shocked if he doesnt go on loan as he wont get many minutes this season

it was good to see Oalofe play (more or less a full game) - he has potential but i dont think that potential is championship level - didnt hit the target early in the 2nd half 1on1 then got gifted one of the easiest chances you'd think he would finish 99/100 and this was the one time he missed. Also hit the bar with a header that the keeper had covered.

I dont think he ran enough. At times was just standing around when he should have been running non stop showing GR he was ready for the 1st team.

I would be shocked if he doesnt go on loan as he wont get many minutes this season

Watch him off the ball, he was peeling off defenders getting into space and time and time again the pass didn’t come. The one on one, I think he over thought it, the header was deflected and hit the bar. Definitely a nervy start to his career with regards his finishing. To loan him out we probably need two more attackers in.

Watch him off the ball, he was peeling off defenders getting into space and time and time again the pass didn’t come. The one on one, I think he over thought it, the header was deflected and hit the bar. Definitely a nervy start to his career with regards his finishing. To loan him out we probably need two more attackers in.
he did peel off a number of times i agree. i think as the game went on he did it less - maybe he didnt have the fitness to get through 90 minutes.

he did win a lot in the air.

I think there is a player in him lets hope he gets 40 games in lg1 and smashes in 20+

Not great, was it? 🤣

I can see GR’s reasoning for agreeing to play Cambridge this week, instead of next week (to give our players more match fitness time), and that’s all well and good, but what I don’t get is, why then play certain players who you know will almost certainly get a place in the starting 11 against Sheffield United?

Would have thought that the cup game tonight could have been used to give those fringe players more game time! Long got a start (as expected), and I understand Hutch playing, but GR didn’t risk Shackleton, yet he risked Cresswell. Burey could have replaced Malone, and he could have stuck with Afobe and Bradshaw up front (or kept Bradshaw on and paired him with either Bennett, Flemming or Olaofe), or given Honeyman’s No. 10 role to either Flemming or Bennett! Any of these players could have been given either 60, 75 or the full 90 minutes, to help get them up to speed!

As it was, it backfired on us, because Bradshaw is out for a while now, and Olaofe, who came on as his replacement, didn’t shine at all tonight. His performance was poor, and as it didn’t look like he pulled up any trees during pre-season, I’m starting to wonder if Olaofe is going to make it in the 1st team proper (as I hoped he would), or whether he is destined to leave and sign for a league 2 club, which is perhaps more his level?

We’ve also lost Honeyman for the Sheffield game as well, and he will be a big, big loss! Honeyman is going to get a number of bookings this season (and maybe even a red or two?), and whilst GR doesn’t want to remove Honeyman’s aggression, he has to be mindful when to sub his No. 10, or else the player is going to be facing a number of 1 or 3 match bans which won’t help him, or the rest of the team!

Was hoping a win tonight would consolidate last Saturday’s performance and give us the confidence to beat United, and it could still happen if Cooper has his shooting boots on again, but it’s going to be a lot harder to achieve without Bradshaw and Honeyman!

COYL!
I thought Honeyman's second booking was harsh and GR agrees! 👍😉

I thought Honeyman's second booking was harsh and GR agrees! 👍😉
No way. unnessasary professional foul that was guaranteed to get a yellow. Once a player is away from you, running into the back of them and bringing them down is stupid. Double stupid if you are already on a card. Put it down to experience and dont do it again.

Last edited:
Just a thought, and obviously wise after the event, but if the manager brought the game forward to give players match fitness, then how about not changing the fixtures and arrange a fucking friendly instead and play the game as scheduled next week? I know it's a shit cup, but it's still a cup. There is potential for drawing a big club in later rounds, TV money etc.