Millwall Academy

We don't have an appetite to play our youngsters. I believe that lays at the managers feet. The club should be focusing more on pathways for younger players and getting them in the team at younger ages, getting a few good seasons then selling them on for decent fees.

Doesn’t make sense to me. McNamara, Mitchell and Burey are all permanent fixtures in the first team squad with Oloafe and Topolloj knocking on the door now too along with recent decent loan moves for Alex Mitchell and Muller to gain valuable experience.

The fact is Rowett is giving more opportunities to young players than any manager we’ve had for a long time, four or five players coming through in the last year to eighteen months isn’t a bad return no matter what bollocks some nerdy Internet blogger says.

Doesn’t make sense to me. McNamara, Mitchell and Burey are all permanent fixtures in the first team squad with Oloafe and Topolloj knocking on the door now too along with recent decent loan moves for Alex Mitchell and Muller to gain valuable experience.

The fact is Rowett is giving more opportunities to young players than any manager we’ve had for a long time, four or five players coming through in the last year to eighteen months isn’t a bad return no matter what bollocks some nerdy Internet blogger says.
It’s hardly bollocks, assuming these stats are right (and why wouldn’t they be?)

I didn’t expect us to be top 10, but I also thought we’d be above the spotters! Now that is disappointing!

Perhaps the stats are worked out for players that come through the Academy, and only play for the 1st team. Maybe those players that come through and just go out on loan aren’t counted? :shrug:

How many more top youngsters do we need to lose to big clubs for people to realize why the club stopped pumping money into the youth system?
Putting money into the first team has got us to where we are now .

Whatever this table is trying to prove it doesn't really mean anything, Anoraks are high up for a Div 3 team but don't have any young players worth buying and have a very average squad with no money in the bank.

I didn’t expect us to be top 10, but I also thought we’d be above the spotters! Now that is disappointing!

:shrug:

Ah yes, the Spotters and their academy are good for bringing profitable, decent talent through. Various, recent owners have noticed this and it relieves them of the need to dip into their own pockets in a serious way to run the club on a daily basis.

Recently, owner after owner sells the players on quickly just to sustain the running of the club. The trouble is; they can't produce enough to keep at the club and take them to where they think they belong, or even the Championship,
for that matter.

Because of this business model, they have to bring in shit loans, cast offs and other clubs freebie, bargain bucket dross, just to survive mid-table in League One. They've now become the Crewe Alexandra of the South and they will be a League One team for some while yet because of it.

I don't find it disappointing at all...in fact, I find it fucking hilarious.
That's the only time they will above us in a table for a very long time.
:grinning:

We should applaud them, then go and take their youngsters just to see them all go beserk and throw their train sets out of the pram.

Last edited:
they have to bring in shit loans, cast offs and other clubs freebie, bargain bucket dross, just to survive mid-table in League One.
We moved well away from being that and are about to build a new training ground plus extras. They'd give both their arms to be where we are right now and for the foreseeable!

We have five players from the acadamy in our squad. We had roughly the same when we last got promoted, O'Brien, Fred, Thompson etc. They mostly served the club well and contributed towards our current standing. Considering the costs plus risks involved for both developing and losing acadamy playersi i think we've done well to get that many through.

We are now trusted with loan players from premier clubs to add to our home grown players. Our owner and board clearly have experience, a plan and are seeing it through, so is our manager and squad.. The spotters have the living version of guitar hero and his geek son running them into the ground.

They're 45 places below us in the football pyramid. Tables smazbles.

:smoke:

Last edited:
Think that table is wrong.

We get 0.33 for any graduate playing Premier league games. We had Eze and the two at Man City play games.

We get only 4 for Championship players, but we had Danny Mc, Billy Mitchell, Fred, Tyler Burey, Mahlon, Ben Thompson.

League One, 3.5, but we had O'Brien, Marquis.

League Two, 2.5, Nelson, Olaofe, Alex Mitchell, Dan Moss