Midfield/forward

‘ArryBoy

Do we have midfield/forward problems? We had one shot on target against Huddersfield, scored a late goal against a poor 10-man WBA, and all 3 goals against Watford relied on free kicks to Coops. Some issues seem to be
1. Volkslammer played out of position
2. Bradshaw often competing for long high balls against big blokes
3. Flemming, although having some very good moments, could be more involved
4. Bennett and Honeyman should be first choices, in my humble opinion
Anymore?
COYL

We don’t have a lot of players who are comfortable on the ball!

How often do you see pass and move football? When was the last time we created a number of passing moves in midfield that led to an open play goal?

Its either one of two things:

We either don’t have the players to play that way (in which case why weren’t the right players bought in the summer to change that?) or

Rowett won’t play that way because he‘s still cautiously defensive and is always worried about conceding the 1st goal (which is ridiculous because that‘s happened a number of times this season!)

Perhaps if we’re still in or very near the play offs come January, JB might be able to bung GR a few more quid to buy/loan some midfield flair players?

We cannot keep relying on set pieces and free kicks to get us goals!

I think Flemming will offer a lot more given time. Think this league is a whole new ball game for him which he's still trying to work out. He wants to pass and move quickly and get up the pitch. Not sure Bennett is worth a start cause he often tires or breaks down to easily, must a pain trying to set up team around him.

I wouldn't fret too much, we're in a healthy position and have options on the bench. Big break coming up and a transfer window in January if needed.

Last edited:
We either don’t have the players to play that way (in which case why weren’t the right players bought in the summer to change that?) or

Rowett won’t play that way because he‘s still cautiously defensive and is always worried about conceding the 1st goal (which is ridiculous because that‘s happened a number of times this season!)
He's said previoulsy that we don't have enough players to be able to play that way effectively or for 90 minutes, i doubt we're the only team like that, it's not the premier league!

I don't think he's been as cautious and he;'s getting the best out of a mixed bunch. Look at the points we have and where we;re sitting in the table. There are many teams that try and play the way that you describe, you'll find them down the bottom of the table.

I think with any manager coming to us the first remit is to get to the 40 point mark- safetey- then be more daring and expansive. If someone had offered me our current position back in August i would have snapped your hand off, we're doing fine.

Last edited:
We don’t have a lot of players who are comfortable on the ball!

How often do you see pass and move football? When was the last time we created a number of passing moves in midfield that led to an open play goal?

Its either one of two things:

Perhaps if we’re still in or very near the play offs come January, JB might be able to bung GR a few more quid to buy/loan some midfield flair players?

We cannot keep relying on set pieces and free kicks to get us goals!

We had a player that was comfortable on the ball, Ryan Woods, but he was cunted off by the fans. This is what fucks me off about some Millwall fans. They want a player who is hard working, puts their foot in, is comfortable on the ball, can beat a man, and can score. When your in the championship you only get players that can do 2 maybe 3 of those things. If they had it all they wouldn’t be with us.

This as been the problem for many a season , we need a midfield General to orchestrate things ,we have the workhorses already but their passing , ability seems limited to either backwards or widespread but if we continue to hoof the ball forward we need a bigger physical present as Bradshaw / Afobl cannot play that role effectly

Last edited:
We had a player that was comfortable on the ball, Ryan Woods, but he was cunted off by the fans. This is what fucks me off about some Millwall fans. They want a player who is hard working, puts their foot in, is comfortable on the ball, can beat a man, and can score. When your in the championship you only get players that can do 2 maybe 3 of those things. If they had it all they wouldn’t be with us.
Woods never ever looked anything like the player we thought we were getting, which is why he got stick.
Afobe a doubt tomorrow night which will be a fucking tough one. Would like to see 2 up top, Vogl, who I think looks a bit pissed off being on the flank, and Bradshaw or Lennie, appreciate the latter may not last and is a bit of a risk from the off. Either 442 or 4312.

Woods was completely wasted by Rowett, the guy could obviously pick a pass and was comfortable on the ball, Rowett had him playing as a DM(most of the time he was stood on the edge of our penalty area!!)

We have the players, its not that they cannot pass and play to feet the problem is they are static so as soon as we get the ball we are marked and the player with the ball has no forward pass so either goes sideways or backwards, we often see Saville do his nut due to no movement off the ball.

Once we learn how to move off the ball it will look joined up not disjointed and be so much better to watch.