Match thread Millwall vDerby KO 3pm

I thought Jed was awful 😞

How many times did he fail to feed the overlapping player, especially when they went down to 10 men?

Several of Derby’s most promising moves started with Jed giving away the ball unnecessarily and exposing his teammates in the middle of the park 🤦‍♂️

His goals and assists statistics are often thrown around but I’d love to know what his pass and dribble success figures are. I bet very low!

I think he’s a nightmare and the sooner he leaves the better!
He played an absolutely sublime ball into the box at one point, minutes later a simple ball slipped between there distant centre halves could have put Afobe in but he decided to run wide and take on a defender he didn';t need to be near, very frustrating to watch at times. He won't be going anywhere bigger than us if he's being watched and reported on by other clubs scouts.

Jed was our MOM today by a mile Purle even though he did lose
the ball a few times
Can't agree with that mate, not today when you had Billy Mitchell playing the way did, hardly pit a foot wrong, breaks up play quick because he can read the game and gets forward. We have a real player in that kid and i think he'll only get better. Ballard was superb too.

I just typed a message about him, would like to see a few games in a real 4-4-2
Agreed, if he still has it in him i'd always select him. The set up doesn't seem to suit him, playing way to deep for Rowett. He's much more effective playing just behind the forwards. Regards to the 442, i thought it didn't suit us today, we looked way to narrow and like we'd never played it before, perhaps if we persist with it we might improve.

Disappointed today, we seemed slow and lacked ideas and Derby played ok and looked like they wanted it more, their movement and chasing.

Saville needs dropping, does nothing and his miss sums him up. Once they went down to 10 Rowlett should have changed it up and used the subs, but waited until the 70th minute followed by putting Smith on in the 80th, to little to late.

Afobe in the box when he was in his arse and he decided to try and knock the ball on when it was perfect for Jed or Leonard, touched it and sod’s it right up when he could have left it. Against 10 men when huffed and puffed but the usual lump in the box, no creativity. Lack of goals still the same issue and the fact we don’t really create clear cut chances. Going to be another frustrating, waste of a season at this rate.

He played an absolutely sublime ball into the box at one point, minutes later a simple ball slipped between there distant centre halves could have put Afobe in but he decided to run wide and take on a defender he didn';t need to be near, very frustrating to watch at times. He won't be going anywhere bigger than us if he's being watched and reported on by other clubs scouts.
Or if he does go, it’ll be to a team who’s manager and training methods will teach Jed where he‘s going wrong. If he listens, it should make him a better, more rounded player than he currently is!

For Jed to keep picking the wrong pass, or to go for goal when the better option is to pass to someone in a better scoring position, either smacks of arrogance on his part (that he believes only he can do the right thing in that moment), or that he’s simply not learning from his mistakes! Either way, it needs to be drummed out of him by Rowett and/or Barrett on the training field!

If it’s the latter, then what I find most worrying about that, is that neither Rowett and/or Barrett seem to think that Jed is doing anything wrong in the first place! If they thought otherwise, you’d like to think they would be showing him where he’s going wrong!

A manager or coach can't make decisions for a player once he's on the pitch. Shortcomings can be pointed out and possibly rectified but the player has to be able to improve his game himself.
I agree, but is Rowett and/or Barrett pointing out those shortcomings, and if not, why not? If they are telling him, then why isn’t Jed listening?

Its either arrogance on Jed’s part, that he feels he’s doing nothing wrong, or he believes his manager and coach are talking out of their arses! Either way, it’s not helping him or the team!

The starting team selection was good. Most of us would have picked a similar team following the game last Tuesday.

The team looked like the were told to have a good go.

If you agree with that it’s wrong to criticise Rowett for his preparation.

There were a few players who were poor. Ojo and Saville for example.

But, it wasn’t a disaster today. We move on to the next game.

Poor first half but at least we got a decent goal at the end. Much better second half and we did at least move further up the pitch and have a go, that is all I ask. Thought the crowd we right up for it today, so all in all not a bad day out.

Agreed, if he still has it in him i'd always select him. The set up doesn't seem to suit him, playing way to deep for Rowett. He's much more effective playing just behind the forwards. Regards to the 442, i thought it didn't suit us today, we looked way to narrow and like we'd never played it before, perhaps if we persist with it we might improve.
The reason we looked narrow is it was a 4-2-3-1, I think gr said it himself in his interview.

For me, the problem stems back to recruitment, every manager has his best/favorite formation, with GR it seems to be 5-2-3, we just don't have the players to play it, our CB's Hutch, Pearce & Wallace are all, tough tackling cb's, with Cooper, you can tell he has had a bit of training to try and get forward, he can do ok sometimes but looks nervous on the ball.

None of our CB's have the pace needed to play a 3 man defense, Danny Mc and Malone have been promoted and brought back to the club to fill the wingback rolls.

He brought in dutch to be the hard man in midfield and get his foot in, while evans was brought in to get forward, Mitchell and Leonard are doing better jobs right now

Then you have George Saville, a great player for us last time around but plays his best football in a 4-4-2.

Jed on one side with Bennet on the other with Bod, Bradshaw, Smith, Afobe, Parrott, Zahore all being tried down the middle (I may have missed someone)

His 5-2-3 then changed to a 5-3-2, I don't think any of our midfield players look comfortable in a 3 again he changed personal with Thompson, Evans, Ginger, Dutch, Mitchell, Leonard, Saville, all being tried.

My point being that his recruitment has been terrible, along with his formation choice, he brought players to the club and played them out of place, did any of the forwards who I spoke of above have any kind of chance to score, do any of the attacking midfielders who I spoke of above have any kind of chance to play their best football.

We have for a good few seasons been known as a hard team to beat as our defense has been solid, I think we all can now see cracks in the defense.

Again do any of our defenders have a chance to keep a clean sheet when they play in a system that creates problems for them?

Or if he does go, it’ll be to a team who’s manager and training methods will teach Jed where he‘s going wrong. If he listens, it should make him a better, more rounded player than he currently is!

For Jed to keep picking the wrong pass, or to go for goal when the better option is to pass to someone in a better scoring position, either smacks of arrogance on his part (that he believes only he can do the right thing in that moment), or that he’s simply not learning from his mistakes! Either way, it needs to be drummed out of him by Rowett and/or Barrett on the training field!

If it’s the latter, then what I find most worrying about that, is that neither Rowett and/or Barrett seem to think that Jed is doing anything wrong in the first place! If they thought otherwise, you’d like to think they would be showing him where he’s going wrong!
Classic example is his failure to pass to Afobe against Reading and shoot himself. He acknowledged so after his glorious miss. He needs more composure when presented with opportunity’s for self and others!

A manager or coach can't make decisions for a player once he's on the pitch. Shortcomings can be pointed out and possibly rectified but the player has to be able to improve his game himself.
By now a 27 year old player should know which options to choose. I can’t believe every manager/coach that he has played for hasn’t pointed out to him time and time again what he should be doing.

The problem must be he simply doesn’t have the ability to apply what he’s been told in match circumstances and that is down to Jed and no one else.

Only on a Millwall forum would people spend so much time criticising the one player that contributes to at least half the goals we score. Instead of micro analysing every single thing Wallace does wrong perhaps it might be worth acknowledging what he does bring to the side.

Yesterday Wallace fucked up a couple of times but the moaners conveniently forget to mention he was directly involved in our goal (again) and put it on an absolute plate for Saville and Afobe. But no, let’s cunt him off for choosing the wrong pass on one or two occasions.

No wonder he is likely to fuck off. I would too if I played my bollocks off for a club where the fans boo you off when you are within a point of a play off place.

I didn't hear any chanting about Scott Malone from the Derby fans yesterday, but they were definitely trying to get under Mason Bennetts skin. It was very noticeable that when Malone scored he gave the cupped ear to their end before coming across to the West and beating the Millwall badge on his chest. So, good for him.
Although Mason didn't reach the highs of the Reading match you can't fault him for effort and I'm always amazed at how well he does in the air against taller defenders.

Ordered a Millwall poppy pin on here, but got stuck in traffic and missed the poppy stall Sat.....
Can I pick one up and make a donation next Tues night ??

:shake:Only on a Millwall forum would people spend so much time criticising the one player that contributes to at least half the goals we score. Instead of micro analysing every single thing Wallace does wrong perhaps it might be worth acknowledging what he does bring to the side.

Yesterday Wallace fucked up a couple of times but the moaners conveniently forget to mention he was directly involved in our goal (again) and put it on an absolute plate for Saville and Afobe. But no, let’s cunt him off for choosing the wrong pass on one or two occasions.

No wonder he is likely to fuck off. I would too if I played my bollocks off for a club where the fans boo you off when you are within a point of a play off place.
Agree and said it before, we would be fucked without him.

Staff online

Members online