Match Thread Millwall V Reading KO 7-45

No, Jed had a player in front of him afobe to his left, by the time jed took the shot afobe was behind him, Jed was looking to pass I thought but afobe maybe just ran out of legs
If Afobe had continued running at the same pace as Jed, Jed would have had to kick the ball through the defender to reach him, hence Afobe hung back.

Watch how many 2 v 1 goals are scored in the Premiership through bypassing the defender. How many times have we seen Jed do that? I can’t remember any :shake:

If Afobe had continued running at the same pace as Jed, Jed would have had to kick the ball through the defender to reach him, hence Afobe hung back.

Watch how many 2 v 1 goals are scored in the Premiership through bypassing the defender. How many times have we seen Jed do that? I can’t remember any :shake:
I don't watch the premiership, but I'm sure your right.

The defender was backing off of Jed all the time, if Afobe kept up, Jed could have passed into space and had only the keeper to beat, he was looking for the pass I thought.

Good 3 points and performance but have we played more players or systems this season? Don’t get me wrong, we’re in a great position in the league but can’t help but think that GR has no consistency with either.

Good 3 points and performance but have we played more players or systems this season? Don’t get me wrong, we’re in a great position in the league but can’t help but think that GR has no consistency with either.
Was thinking the same. There’s rotation to keep players fresh and adapt to each opponent. And then there’s chopping and changing in what looks a bit of a desperate bid to find a winning formula - which is the one I think applies to rowett.
Obviously there’s been plenty of shit performances which have forced rowetts hand at times and changes had to be made.
But especially up front he needs to stick to a trio in his 3-4-3 or a two in 4-4-2 and let them gel a bit.
Even tonight I reckon the counter attack that Jed fucked up with Afobe might have gone better if they had played together a bit more often and had a better understanding.
At the back we’ve had hutch, Cooper and Murray for years now and largely they are part of a decent unit. Consistent selection must help with that.

Like Bradshaw & Smith, he needs a certain type of service.

If we dont give him what he needs, its not gonna work.

It's no surprise that Afobe and Bradshaw both scored goals from similar positions. If only we looked at it and gave them this sort of service every week.
The other interesting thing about the crosses for both Bradshaw goals and last night is that they did not come from the wing, but somewhere near the side of the penalty area.
That means that when they were delivered the ball arrived much more quickly than a cross from the wing would have done. Less time for defenders to think and react.

Bennett gave us so much more urgency and desire in the final third second half.
At least Rowett made the changes that were needed, but it wasn’t rocket science.
At least he ain't so stubborn as to not see that It has to change. Most of the time.

But then If he were to pick the right players In the right positions In the first place he wouldn't have to bring about the changes when the Inevitable happens.