Match Thread Millwall v Peterborough KO 3pm

I wish some on here qiuld give Benik credit where due . 13 goals this season with an ever changing partnership up front speaks volumes. Dont expect him to graft for 90 mins, but when he does its normally productive. He's am instinctive striker and I for one hope he is here for the long haul. Listen to his post match.....he clearly loves it here too
it's because he doesn't charge around like a lunatic. he's not a blood and thunder and graft player. but still he looks far more likely to score than anyone else in our team. he has had more shots on target than anyone else in the side.

there's another part of his game which is essential in this league - he is happy to travel through teh box with the ball at his feet. bradswhaw cannot do this. bennet can to an extent. afobe will actually slow the ball down in teh box. will put his foot on the ball. this creates space for everyone else as they have time to move into position. we are so used to head down chargers, blood and thunder - i.e charge at the goal, shoot, or pass as quickly as possible. you need a bit of nous in this league. bennet has got it too. so has afobe.

There really is some rubbish written on this forum at times, especially on these match threads. We’re finishing the season three points off a place off spot with the best home record in the division despite having one of the lowest budgets.

Talk of getting Rowett out now is crazy. If you don’t like the bloke fair enough but just say that instead of making ludicrous claims about impending relegation battles and tired generic criticisms about formations and supposed favourite players.

We had to listen to enough nonsense earlier in the season just because we lost a couple of games while in the midst of a nightmare injury crisis and let’s be honest since then Rowett has made all those calling for him to be sacked a few months ago look fucking silly.

We finally look like an established championship club for the first time in ages and that’s down to stable management with a sensible long term plan instead of a scatter gun ‘let’s sack the boss every 18 months’ approach that some seem to think is the right way to do things despite the mess many other championship clubs are in after throwing money they haven’t got at mediocre players and countless new managers.
Agreed, you can't argue with the table at the end of the day. Say what you like about Rowett but we're going to finish very close to the playoffs and that a decent season whatever way you look at it.
However, I still can't quite make my mind up about Afobe. On the one hand, there's plenty about his play to criticise like his poor touch. Then again, 13 goals is a decent haul and he always comes across as having a good attitude. On balance, I hope he stays. Put it this way, we've seen far worse strikers lining out for us in the last few years.

Another solid performance, kept it tight and went for the win in the second half as i expected us to do. We a have team that fights for each other and what we lack in technique we make for it with heart and determination. Only come up short this season cause we don't have enough creative midfielders to open up opponents, we're not far off being a very good side and all done on a shoestring budget. Very proud of those players. they've never given up and have exceeded many fans expectations.

not to go on but i want to talk about the humble pull back in the box.

honestly, i can count on one hand in say the past 10 years we have scored from a player out wide assisting with a pull back (matron!). we see it today with the excellent danny mac - he beats a player, charges into the box, and the pull back is fucking awful! this is the millwall way.

no the way this team is interesting is that someone like afobe or bennet and even burley will beat the second and third man before pulling back. they have that nous to actually move with teh ball - they don't just have that hurrid panic that most millwall wide men/strikers have had over the years. i use hte pull back as just one example. little through balls is another, i bet aforbe will find more men with a throughball than most of our midfielders. you need skill in this league, is what i am saying, and skill in the box in particular. we have signs of it with afobe bennet and burke. its the midfield where it lacks the most in my view.

Comedy Gold:

Peterborough United manager Grant McCann told BBC Radio Cambridgeshire:

"I'm not one to ever blame officials for a result. (spoiler alert!!)

"We've lost the game today because of us, but I will say the decision to give them the throw-in, which is a massive strength for them, has cost us the first goal today and swung the momentum.

"Up to that point we were comfortably the better team, I think everyone could see that.

"Yes, we were lacking the end product, yes, we lacked in the final third, they changed their shape in the second half, but we had them and then the throw-in's cost us."
What a fucking wanker! McCann that is! 😉

We did nothing upfront once again this time against a relegated team until BENNET came on.

Bennet will not play a lot of full games next season due to being injury prone, if Rowett insists on signing his pals we could be in a relegation scrap next season, the signs are all there, some need to take their blinkers off.
Wow. Your knowledge of football is something else. Probably the best keeper in the league, along with at least a defence in the top 3 in the league and we’re facing a relegation battle next season? Chuck in Danny Mac, Mitch, Burey, Bennett, Lovelace, Bradders, Saville, Leonard to name a few.

Yeah, we’re fcked. Ffs 🤦‍♂️

I wish some on here qiuld give Benik credit where due . 13 goals this season with an ever changing partnership up front speaks volumes. Dont expect him to graft for 90 mins, but when he does its normally productive. He's am instinctive striker and I for one hope he is here for the long haul. Listen to his post match.....he clearly loves it here too
Thought he had a good game today...

Another solid performance, kept it tight and went for the win in the second half as i expected us to do. We a have team that fights for each other and what we lack in technique we make for it with heart and determination. Only come up short this season cause we don't have enough creative midfielders to open up opponents, we're not far off being a very good side and all done on a shoestring budget. Very proud of those players. they've never given up and have exceeded many fans expectations.
Correct, what I’ve said in another thread. But if we come up against a footballing side we look poor.but shopping in primark what can we expect. Parachute payments give us no chance unless a miracle happens and we unearth a mitrovic and a pirloe.

Correct, what I’ve said in another thread. But if we come up against a footballing side we look poor.but shopping in primark what can we expect. Parachute payments give us no chance unless a miracle happens and we unearth a mitrovic and a pirloe.
True enough but that all suggests that Rowett has done a decent job. No doubt we don't have quite what it takes up front whether that's down to a lack of creativity in midfield, not having good enough strikers or a bit of both. You can see that we fall a little short. When we really needed a win against Birmingham, we couldn't manage it. When Wednesday really needed it against a better side than Brum, they did it. But given our squad, I don't think you could ask for a whole lot more than we've had this season.
My only worry about next year is replacing Jed. We definitely have fewer attacking options without him in the team. He won't be easy to replace.