Looking good .............. so far

Do we buy a decent left and right back, or just rely on Murray Mint and Danny (and hope they don’t get injured?)

Yes, we have cover for Danny in Leonard, but if he gets injured as well…..

Do we buy a decent left and right back, or just rely on Murray Mint and Danny (and hope they don’t get injured?)

Yes, we have cover for Danny in Leonard, but if he gets injured as well…..

I reckon we need both plus another centre back.

It's madness, really. We've gone from a weak squad to a decent squad in about 2 days and I think there's more to come.

Definitely looks like we intend to play 5-3-2 this season the way things are shaping up. With a 10 behind 2 strikers.

Think we have done some great business but let's not forget we still need to blood a few youngsters
This.

As I mentioned on another thread, haven’t heard that the likes of Alex Mitchell, Hayden Muller or Isaac Olaofe have been loaned out (so far) so maybe GR is going to be looking at them, with a view to them stepping up to play in the 1st team?

Mitchell is a centre back, so is cover for any injuries in that position. Likewise, Muller is a right back (cover for Danny?) but can also play at centre back and in midfield (more cover). Now that we’ve signed Afobe, is Olaofe going to be our third forward, behind Bradshaw and Afobe? It would certainly save JB having to pay out £1M+ to bring in another forward.

Perhaps GR will give Olaofe a chance in the first half of the season, and if he’s not up to snuff, then GR may be able to dip into the January transfer window for a replacement!

This.

As I mentioned on another thread, haven’t heard that the likes of Alex Mitchell, Hayden Muller or Isaac Olaofe have been loaned out (so far) so maybe GR is going to be looking at them, with a view to them stepping up to play in the 1st team?

Mitchell is a centre back, so is cover for any injuries in that position. Likewise, Muller is a right back (cover for Danny?) but can also play at centre back and in midfield (more cover). Now that we’ve signed Afobe, is Olaofe going to be our third forward, behind Bradshaw and Afobe? It would certainly save JB having to pay out £1M+ to bring in another forward.

Perhaps GR will give Olaofe a chance in the first half of the season, and if he’s not up to snuff, then GR may be able to dip into the January transfer window for a replacement!
Rowett should know whether youngsters are up to playing in the first team without given them a game, we can't have them near the first team squad until they are good enough, having a conference standard player cover for 3 months whilst someone like Cooper is out injured musn't happen.

Rowett should know whether youngsters are up to playing in the first team without given them a game, we can't have them near the first team squad until they are good enough, having a conference standard player cover for 3 months whilst someone like Cooper is out injured musn't happen.
This is why keeping Pearce last season made sense. Cover just in case, and we needed him more than a few times.

Definitely looks like we intend to play 5-3-2 this season the way things are shaping up. With a 10 behind 2 strikers.

If we are setting up to be defensive the midfield and strikers could look like this in a 5-3-1-1

Honeyman Mitchell Saville
Flemming
Afobe

or in a 5-3-2 this:

Honeyman Mitchell Flemming
Afobe Bradshaw/Bennett

or if Rowett has a lobotomy and goes BANZAI:

Bart
Dan Hutch Cooper Murray
Mitchell
Honeyman Flemming Bennett
Afobe Bradshaw

The signings we've made are versatile in the attacking areas and this appears to be deliberate because it gives us options.

Rowett should know whether youngsters are up to playing in the first team without given them a game, we can't have them near the first team squad until they are good enough,
As would Paul Robinson and his staff, they see the players daily and know what's needed for them to develop. It would do Alex Mitchel no good for him to be in the senior squad cause he won't get a look in cause he's just not good enough at the moment. He won't develop or improve sitting on the bench, he needs to be playing at a level that suits him, and he is!

If we are setting up to be defensive the midfield and strikers could look like this in a 5-3-1-1

Honeyman Mitchell Saville
Flemming
Afobe

or in a 5-3-2 this:

Honeyman Mitchell Flemming
Afobe Bradshaw/Bennett

or if Rowett has a lobotomy and goes BANZAI:

Bart
Dan Hutch Cooper Murray
Mitchell
Honeyman Flemming Bennett
Afobe Bradshaw

The signings we've made are versatile in the attacking areas and this appears to be deliberate because it gives us options.
I wonder how much a look in will Saville get. Unless we can fit him in higher up the pitch he's not as valuable to the team as he was when he first came to us. He played well sitting deeper but was no threat on goal.

As would Paul Robinson and his staff, they see the players daily and know what's needed for them to develop. It would do Alex Mitchel no good for him to be in the senior squad cause he won't get a look in cause he's just not good enough at the moment. He won't develop or improve sitting on the bench, he needs to be playing at a level that suits him, and he is!

I agree with this. I've noticed of late a lot of promising young players from Premier League clubs having one or two loans age 19-21 and then coming back to the first team squad. at ages 22-23, which is older than before when it came to promoting youngsters. The Gallagher lad at Chelsea, for example is 22 and likely to be involved for them this season.

Possibly influenced by the comparatively late development of Harry Kane? Also letting young players' bodies grow and develop properly?

I wonder how much a look in will Saville get. Unless we can fit him in higher up the pitch he's not as valuable to the team as he was when he first came to us. He played well sitting deeper but was no threat on goal.

I think if he plays then it will be alongside Mitchell in a midfield two with Honeyman, Afobe and Flemming ahead allowing them to attack and the two wing backs bombing on. I thought Saville was a lot better playing a bit deeper like you said.

I thought Saville was a lot better playing a bit deeper like you said.
He had goals and assists in him when he played under Harris, could even take a decent free kick if and when he could prize the ball away from wankerchops. I said at the time that we sold the wrong player to Boro but it's worked out well in the end and Saville is still here. We have some very good and capable footballers now that don't just rely on pace and hitting aimless and hopeful crosses.