Legends of ‘72….help needed

silverlion

Staff member

Can you name them all? I am good on nearly all of them but
I can’t remember the three on the left of the middle row. I think the middle one of the three was Steve Smith….or am I wrong?

This post is only for older Lions. In 1972 I had been teaching for one year at Eltham Green where the head was Peter Dawson.

Think this popped up on a question before the sight revamp the blonde bloke on the left of the three is the late Billy Holmes. PS this is long before my time

I thought that Steve Brown was a right back in the famous line up of King Brown Cripps Dorney Kitchener Burnett……
The player in question was a winger.
As a 15 year old I spent a very interesting day watching the Lions train at the old Den. Jack Blackman was there on the day and there are some very interesting stories about him in King’s book

Can't name the middle row except the far right. Is he one of the Browns, the other being back row far left

Steve and Brian Brown?

No need for resting players in the old days then. 1971-72 season seven players played in all 42 league games

One of my favourite seasons. I was 15/16 and went to nearly every home game and a few of the top away games. We lost out by a point on promotion to the then, old Division One.

Some things haven't changed though....that season, we did the double over The Spotters...The penultimate game of the season we beat them 0-2 at their gaff. This meant that they had to get a result in the final game to stay up.
They lost at Blackpool 5-0. So we were at it and played our part, even back then..!!
:ROFLMAO:

High Street Life's dad here.
Jack Blackman was my dad and I actually knew several of the lads there
My dad was the trainer physio but also did some coaching as well. I am eighty next year so memory not so clever but still a season ticket holder.... love the game, love the club.
Dad never actually played for them but he was Millwall through and through, being born and brought up in Bermondsey as was my mum's family. He turned pro. when he was 18 being spotted while playing over Southwark Park for a well known Bermondsey team called the Weston ( 2000 spectators watched them every Sunday morning). He then played for QPR and the the Palace (sorry) up front. He is among the top goalscorers at both for his period there. When he finished a very successful playing career he went to Sutton United and trained as a physio. Went back to the Palace and after a couple of years became first team trainer and after over twenty years with the Palace fell out with a manager. WAlked out and within a very short time Millwall phoned him, the rest some of you oldens will possibly know about. Never made any money from the game but loved it. he was with the Lions over twenty seasons and known for the speed he ran on to the pitch and the football badder he carried with the magic sponge.
I thought some of you may be interested.
COYL