Just back v Sunderland on Now TV

silverlion

Staff member
A tight first half, two errors from Cresswell in the second and a comprehensive defeat.

We started brightly and had the better of the first twenty minutes. An early free kick from Honeyman came to nothing but we continued to press. A good cross from Danny found Honeyman but his shot was blocked for a corner. The set piece bobbled around in the box and Cooper shot from close in but the keeper saved it. We had a deep corner and then a free kick but all came to nothing. Then came a good chance. A long goal kick from our keeper found Bradshaw who get the better of their defender. The keeper was stranded, Tom headed it over his head towards goal but another defender cleared it. Then they came back into it with a some good pressing and a couple of free kicks in dangerous positions. We weathered the storm and came back into it for the last ten minutes. There was a good overlap from Danny and his cross found Zian but his shot was blocked. Then came a golden chance. Their keep made a hash of a clearance which fell to Zian fifteen yards out. He shot first time but it just went the wrong side of the post and the half ended goalless.

They started brighter in the second half and just had the edge. We tried hard to match them but they had other ideas. A ball out to their left was our downfall. Cresswell took a heavy touch which was picked up by Pritchard. He ran into space and hit a cross to the far post and their attacker was on hand at the far post to tap it home for 1-0. We tried hard to get back into it and a corner found Flem but his header was cleared off the line. From the second corner it bobbled to Cresswell who hit it wide. They pressed forward and a cross from their right found Pritchard who shot through a crowd of legs and it found the back of the net for 2-0. Long should have got a stronger hand to it. It was time for fresh legs. Bennett, Shack and Styles replaced Sav, Honeyman and Vogi. We pressed forward with more energy and a Flem cross was tipped over. More fresh legs came on with Molly and Evans replacing Danny and Murray. We were going for it but another Cresswell error gifted them a third goal. He headed it on and their Sims rounded Long for their third. Despite some huffing and puffing and five added minutes we were a beaten side.

Long could have done better with their second but played OK. Danny was solid and the same could be said for Cooper and Murray. Cresswell made two errors for two goals and has dropped off my Christmas Card list. Billy and Sav were solid, Honeyman was busy and Vogi had his moments. Flem came and went and Bradshaw was busy but rarely a threat. Bennett had his moments and so did Styles and Shack looked busy without really causing a threat. Molly pressed hard from the left and Evans looked calm but never really a threat.

All in all a disappointment. A bad miss by Flem in the first half and two errors from Cresswell sealed our fate. Time to dust ourselves down and put it all right when Wigan come next week.

Mitchell was poor today and needs to be replaced by Shackleton. Interestingly given the stick he's received, what we missed second half was bringing Burey on. His speed would have pushed them back.

All in all the score didn't reflect the game.

Mitchell was poor today and needs to be replaced by Shackleton. Interestingly given the stick he's received, what we missed second half was bringing Burey on. His speed would have pushed them back.

All in all the score didn't reflect the game
No it didnt. Billy tries. That's good enough for me. If you want to blame folk. Zians miss. Wallace's dive in. And the ref. Cant

No it didnt. Billy tries. That's good enough for me. If you want to blame folk. Zians miss. Wallace's dive in. And the ref. Cant
Not blaming anyone mate. Mitchell, Fleming and Cresswell were poor today by their own standards. if I was being ultra critical I would say Dutch was being too cocky in hitting it first time when he could have had a touch and made sure.

All in all the score didn't reflect the game.

Can’t agree with that. Mitchell has been in excellent form recently, probably the best of his short career so far. He wasn’t great today but I don’t think dropping him would be fair especially when it’s hard to see exactly what Shackleton offers as a replacement.

Great first half, Fleming more time than he thought, should have scored. Great flight up, still on the p@ss up there. Good day apart from the result. Will we catch our flight back?

If we stick with our current goalkeeper we have no hope of getting in the play offs. He should have been dropped after Preston match. Bart is brave and puts his body on the line. I don’t see this with Long.
Gave away goals at Preston.

If we don't score we'll have no chance. Long has been part of a team that's only lost twice in a ten game period. We've drawn four blanks up front in the last five games only scoring against Preston, that's a bigger concern.
This.

Hopefully with the Shamrock player signed, and a few more coming in permanently/on loan in January, we’ll have enough options up front to change personnel if need be!

A long trip th ed & back for another game we could have won, first half we started with the ball on the floor and we looked good and really had some good chances to take the lead but we did take them , second half to forget ,poor defending for the first 2 goals but we still had 2 chances cleared off the line and then hit with a sucker punch,
we abandoned the ball playing for the hapless long hoof which just did not work with the midgets up front but we still play that way.....Why? No one really had a decent game and referee lost control in the first half falling for their " go down if touched" and booked 3 lions for next to nothing and let's give Pritchard a warm welcome for his antics when they come to the den

Last edited:
Having reflected on the game it was definitely the proverbial “game of two halves”. We pressed first half and held a high line. Second half we played too deep and without the press which gave them much more freedom to play. Did you see Fleming constantly urging everyone to move up the pitch?
So why? I can only assume Rowett instructed them. Lots of clamour for him to piss off despite our position in the league and I’m beginning to think the same. Also the 3-0 no way reflected the match.
What’s your view of what went wrong?