Just Back v Sky Blues

silverlion

Staff member
A poor start, then an exciting and closely fought game and a good comeback win.

We started poorly. They were out of the blocks from the first whistle and pressed us back with some good play, some neat passing and we were struggling to get a foothold. From an early passing move down the left we were stretched and Cooper gave away a corner. It was swung in, their Godden was first to the ball with his head and their giant CH poked it in from three yards. They were over the moon and their mob in the north stand were giving it large. It was definitely an uphill struggle and we had to focus on our own game to try and get back into it. They were looking sharp. When they broke forward they always had a spare man, played some good fifteen yard triangles and carved out some good attacking moves. Their Gyokeres with 17 on his back looked lively and we were struggling to contain him. After 10 Bennett went down holding his leg and off he went to be replaced by Burey. It took us time but we were slowly getting back into it but they had not given up. After 20 they got a second. A decent move down their left had Danny stretched and the winger got half a yard on him. Hit a deep cross and their attacker stretched and hooked it past Bart for 2-0. We were up against it big time and it was tough to get back into it. Burey looked lively and got the better of their defenders with sharp runs but we couldn’t carve out a decent chance. Then they pushed the self destruct button. A foul in the middle of the park gave us a free kick which Honeyman floated into the box. Their keeper thought he would come out and punch it clear but Cooper beat him to it, headed it over a bunch of players ino an unguarded net for 1-2. We we’re back in it and they looked surprised. We had the better of the remainder of the first half but went in a goal behind.

The second half we played better. We pushed up onto their midfield, gave them less space, tried to play behind them and slowly gained control. It wasn’t long before it was all square. There was a good interchange of play involving Molly and Burey and the latter cut inside and hit a sweet shot which their keeper may have got a fingertip to it but it bounced back off the far post and Honeyman hit the rebound home for his first lions goal. The crowd came into play big time and were giving it large to their mob who had gone very quiet. Then the turning point of the game arrived. We cleared a corner to Burey who streaked past their midfielder Hamer who cynically brought him down for a second yellow and an early bath. He was really fuming, gave it big to his manager and stormed off cheered on by a raucous Millwall crowd. It was an uphill climb for them but to give them even more to chase we took off Cresswell and Honeyman and put on Leonard and Sav. Leonard slotted into the back five and Sav added energy to the middle. With five to go Sav slotted in the winner with a shot through a crowded box which found the bottom left hand corner. We brought on Olaofe and Evans for Benik and Shack with two to go but they had little to do apart from a late chance for Olaofe. They huffed and puffed but couldn’t blow our house down and after six added minutes Rockin’ All Over the World rang out loud and proud.

Bart could do little about the two goals conceded but made two or three good stops too. Danny was solid and a threat at times and Cresswell looked strong and aggressive. Cooper played well and took his goal well and Murray had a decent game. Molly had his moments especially going forward and Dabo did not get the better of him in this game. Billy was very busy and looked accomplished in his role Shack had his moments and Honeyman was busy and pressed hard. Bennett looked OK for ten minutes but Burey probably shaded MOM with some very good moments and a great shot to set up the second goal. Benik was busy but Olaofe had a bit more energy for the last few minutes. Evans was competent. They crowd were giving it large at the end with version of 2-0 and you mucked it up.

It was an exciting game and a good comeback win and we sit fourth at the time of writing this. Swansea on Tuesday will present some.big challenges

Thank you Silver, as always.

There are clubs in this division with better, more skilful players but they do not have our spirit and desire. We lack certain things but you cannot question the commitment and the character of the players. That's what won us the game today.

A word for two of our homegrown players, Mitchell and McNamara. Mitchell had a tough day today, he misplaced passes and got caught out time and again. But not once did he hide or give up. Danny McNamara was similar, totally playing for the shirt. He got involved when Tyler got fouled and their player got a red card and he had a pop at the bloke. Was that sensible? Probably not. Was that backing up a teammate and showing we are not a side to be messed about with? 100%. And I love him for doing that.

Bit stupid of me to not mention Tyler Burey, who played a huge part in winning us the game. How many of our players can do what he did for our 2nd goal? The lad is a real talent and I hope he is given a run of games. He will do things wrong and make bad decisions, but he can win us a game out of nothing. As others have said on the other thread, I would far rather us invest in giving Tyler games and experience and allow him to make mistakes for his betterment in the long term than keep giving Mason Bennett games. It's not Bennett's fault, he is just one of those players that will be forever cursed by injury.

Gary Rowett: "I thought young Tyler Burey was outstanding when he came on and he was our best player by a million miles. With a change of formation, I think he feels it's difficult for him to show his best quality. But I think today proves how he could do it.

"He's got real talent. He just gave us a spark when we looked like we needed something. The last couple of weeks I've noticed he's a lot more focused. Since his contract's been sorted he really seems desperate now to kick on."

Cheers Silver. Pretty much how I saw the game and a good read unlike the dribble I’ve just read through on the match thread. I don’t know why the fuck some people even bother, yeah we had a stinker of a start but sometimes it happens, at least stick with the team and give them a bit of support when they need it most. Nothing wrong with a bit of constructive criticism now and then but writing the team and manager off after 20 minutes? Come on.

Burey my MOM today, he’s got raw talent and pace to burn and has that directness that defenders hate playing against. Quick mention also for Ryan Leonard who was excellent when he came on for the last ten minutes and settled us down when it looked like the superb Gykores might get them back in it.

Coming out of the Kitch upper after the game and into a wall of intense heat made me realise just how much effort the lads put in to get us over the line so a fucking great big well done to all of them.

Cheers Silver. Pretty much how I saw the game and a good read unlike the dribble I’ve just read through on the match thread. I don’t know why the fuck some people even bother, yeah we had a stinker of a start but sometimes it happens, at least stick with the team and give them a bit of support when they need it most. Nothing wrong with a bit of constructive criticism now and then but writing the team and manager off after 20 minutes? Come on.

Burey my MOM today, he’s got raw talent and pace to burn and has that directness that defenders hate playing against. Quick mention also for Ryan Leonard who was excellent when he came on for the last ten minutes and settled us down when it looked like the superb Gykores might get them back in it.

Coming out of the Kitch upper after the game and into a wall of intense heat made me realise just how much effort the lads put in to get us over the line so a fucking great big well done to all of them.

Excellent point that the players showed incredible fight in that intense heat @Ilderton Wanderer. Christ knows what the temperature was on the pitch.

Thanks for the report Silver, a couple of extra observations:
At 2-2 we were very lucky not to go behind, they forced two corners in quick succession, had one shot saved by Bart another tipped onto the bar, one blocked and a penalty shout that, although accidental, would have been given with VAR.
I’m not sure how their man got a second yellow but Tyler somehow stayed on the pitch (right at the end) Home advantage maybe?
Having said all that, what a great comeback, “two nil and you f***** it up” it’s normally what opposition fans sing to us!

Cheers Silver just a thought but we could be one of the clubs that benefit most with this 5 sub rule. Smallish sized squad but decent attack minded players coming on against tiring defenders

What a great afternoon it turned out to be, a proper Millwall day out. They don't half put you through thr wringer sometimes but it's all part of why we love our club so much. All part of the inexplicable enigma that is Millwall, we never do things by halves.

Going in at half time only one goal adrift kept the hope alive, we had something to hang on to. Thought we'd struggle when they got the red but we never, we smelt blood and went for them. The confidence that Coventry played with in the first half slowly ebbed away, credit to our boys for making that happen.

Our fans were fucking superb, it's been patchy and somewhat quiet of late but today we stuck with them ( apart from a few divs- why do they bother coming?) and roared them on from the stands. No one should under estimate what that roar does for the players, they needed us and they paid us back in full with a fighting performance and a will to win.

Very proud of them today, won't single anyone out that made errors, we win and lose as a team.

Onwards and upwards. Enjoy the win. I hope it brought some much needed cheer for Mama and Brian too!

Miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiill