Just Back v Sky Blues

Gary Rowett: "I thought young Tyler Burey was outstanding when he came on and he was our best player by a million miles. With a change of formation, I think he feels it's difficult for him to show his best quality. But I think today proves how he could do it.

"He's got real talent. He just gave us a spark when we looked like we needed something. The last couple of weeks I've noticed he's a lot more focused. Since his contract's been sorted he really seems desperate now to kick on."
He won't start Tuesday then. 😂

What a great afternoon it turned out to be, a proper Millwall day out. They don't half put you through thr wringer sometimes but it's all part of why we love our club so much. All part of the inexplicable enigma that is Millwall, we never do things by halves.

Going in at half time only one goal adrift kept the hope alive, we had something to hang on to. Thought we'd struggle when they got the red but we never, we smelt blood and went for them. The confidence that Coventry played with in the first half slowly ebbed away, credit to our boys for making that happen.

Our fans were fucking superb, it's been patchy and somewhat quiet of late but today we stuck with them ( apart from a few divs- why do they bother coming?) and roared them on from the stands. No one should under estimate what that roar does for the players, they needed us and they paid us back in full with a fighting performance and a will to win.

Very proud of them today, won't single anyone out that made errors, we win and lose as a team.

Onwards and upwards. Enjoy the win. I hope it brought some much needed cheer for Mama and Brian too!

Miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiill
“No one should under estimate what that roar does for the players” I agree and do wonder though how it impacts players as we never really hear. 🤔

Great comeback, but for a sound defensive team, we were a shambles up to their second goal, Murray not at the races, cresswell sloppy with passes and Malone aimlessly passing and flicking it to no one. To come back and win from 2 down is something we won’t see too often , but GR needs the team to be on their game from the off. When we got in a groove we were the better team, our passing still not what it could be, but the effort was immense, Honeyman looked wasted when he came off. The midfield three looks to need a bit more time to get themselves organized, but the second half showed us what could be. A roller coaster game, and If as expected Burey starts with Benik next game, maybe we have a decent pairing, both looked well up for it today .

Honeymans finish was great considering how quickly it comes at him, could easily have panicked and missed the target. A couple of tough away games coming up but two home games and two wins, as always in this divison getting points on the board as early as possible gives you a fighting chance. I still think about survival first every year and everything else is a bonus.

I don't normally comment on the Just back threads, but thought I'd chuck my two pennorth worth in.
Bart pulled off a number of saves that allowed us ultimately to win the game..
The defence and midfield haven't quite clicked. Murray had the worst game I've seen and I am a fan. I'm not a fan of Malone and again don't think he played well. Mitchell was poor today, but I will never fault his running on fact at the end he was all over the pitch, if only Saville had his engine. Shackleton was neither here nor there, but was pleased when he went through their player and then fronted a couple of them up that got the crowd going.
The heat obviously played a major part, Honeyman as has been noted looked out on his feet. But was in the right place at the right time, good anticipation from my perspective.
I really like Bennett but starting to think he is a waste of a wage, similarly Bradshaw, hate to say that about both of them, but we just don't get enough out of them.
Afobe wasn't in it, possibly due to poor service, but the ball bounces off him more times than not, getting a consistent pairing up front needs to happen ASAP, fingers crossed for the Kraut.
Now the real enigma.. Burey... he obviously has something about him, but his work rate is poor, and he simply never puts his foot in shirks challenges and ducks out of headers. He definitely splits opinion where I sit, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt as I think he is possibly the best crosser of the ball he hits it clean and does run at people.
Overall a poor footballing performance but a good team effort.
They were walking through us at will and Rowett should have changed formation, I would have taken Malone off early in the game and bought Leonard on to shore up the midfield. He too has a good engine and a turn of speed that can catch defences out.
Bottom line is we got a result I don't think we would have if they still had 11 on the pitch, but we did and I walked away happy but a bit concerned about our next 2 games..

Agree with most on here re the 1st half performance it was a horrible display but being gifted a lifeline with Cooper's goal meant they had a chance of getting something from the game and I was expecting a GR draw.

There were youngsters behind me in B1 saying Cresswell is shit at defending and should be stuck up front and we will never score 3 goals!!!.Oh well,wouldn't take betting tips off them.

I would start Savile with Honeyman and drop one of the others on the bench, he can spot a pass and the goal is reminiscent of his first stint with us...

I don't normally comment on the Just back threads, but thought I'd chuck my two pennorth worth in.
The defence and midfield haven't quite clicked. Murray had the worst game I've seen and I am a fan. I'm not a fan of Malone and again don't think he played well. Mitchell was poor today, but I will never fault his running on fact at the end he was all over the pitch, if only Saville had his engine. Shackleton was neither here nor there, but was pleased when he went through their player and then fronted a couple of them up that got the crowd going.
The heat obviously played a major part, Honeyman as has been noted looked out on his feet. But was in the right place at the right time, good anticipation from my perspective.
I really like Bennett but starting to think he is a waste of a wage, similarly Bradshaw, hate to say that about both of them, but we just don't get enough out of them.
Afobe wasn't in it, possibly due to poor service, but the ball bounces off him more times than not, getting a consistent pairing up front needs to happen ASAP, fingers crossed for the Kraut.
Now the real enigma.. Burey... he obviously has something about him, but his work rate is poor, and he simply never puts his foot in shirks challenges and ducks out of headers. He definitely splits opinion where I sit, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt as I think he is possibly the best crosser of the ball he hits it clean and does run at people.
They were walking through us at will and Rowett should have changed formation, I would have taken Malone off early in the game and bought Leonard on to shore up the midfield. He too has a good engine and a turn of speed that can catch defences out.
Bottom line is we got a result I don't think we would have if they still had 11 on the pitch, but we did and I walked away happy but a bit concerned about our next 2 games..
A great summary. You make a good observation of GR not changing formation when needed. We were overrun by Coventry for most for first half as they strolled through our midfield and defence - this cried out for a change as you suggested.

Delighted to see Tyler doing well today. If I remember right, there were some people writing him off last year. But you can't expect a young player to be the finished article at the start. However, if you give them a chance, they might pay you back. Let's hope there's lots more to come from Tyler.
I watched him closely and he was either walking around them, or making all the right passes. He's developing a swagger now and by god does this team needs some verve and audacity

Don’t underestimate your just backs P54. They have a different style to mine but I have posted many times that it is always good to read the thoughts of someone who was actually at the game. I have looked at the upcoming fixtures and there are two I will miss next month as we will be in Spain for three weeks. And in December I am in New York for my birthday weekend and will miss the Wigan game. My mate, who worked for Barclays Foreign Exchange is looking for a bar that might show the game. So I might see it.
I have watched the extended highlights on MTV and I realise that I did not mention to two quick chances in the first half, the second of which Murray blasted at their defender. I also noted that the ball did hit Billy’s outstretched arm in the penalty area and VAR would almost certainly have given it. It was a decent win and it was a good feeling walking out of the Den with three points in the bag! COYL!

Honeymans finish was great considering how quickly it comes at him, could easily have panicked and missed the target. A couple of tough away games coming up but two home games and two wins, as always in this divison getting points on the board as early as possible gives you a fighting chance. I still think about survival first every year and everything else is a bonus.
Honeyman’s wasn’t as easy as he made it look. Plus as always he was the first one there to follow up! 👍

Thanks for your summary. It's basically what I thought from the comfort of my sofa.

Thanks for your summary. It's basically what I thought from the comfort of my sofa.
Got to agree with a lot of what you have said , I go to, every game and see first hand the team, tactics etc and Marlone is a waste of a player , done next to nothing in all the games and seems out of condition or is he just lazy ? , afumble also as not had a shot on target this season and cannot create a chance for himself ,let's hope the new man changes all that we shall see on Tuesday night hopefully, some things need to change in midfield/ defence as we cannot keep letting forwards run at us without putting a tackle on till they get to the edge of our box it will cost us goals & points if this tactic is not addressed and why did saville not start ...best player by far at sheffield

Don’t underestimate your just backs P54. They have a different style to mine but I have posted many times that it is always good to read the thoughts of someone who was actually at the game. I have looked at the upcoming fixtures and there are two I will miss next month as we will be in Spain for three weeks. And in December I am in New York for my birthday weekend and will miss the Wigan game. My mate, who worked for Barclays Foreign Exchange is looking for a bar that might show the game. So I might see it.
I have watched the extended highlights on MTV and I realise that I did not mention to two quick chances in the first half, the second of which Murray blasted at their defender. I also noted that the ball did hit Billy’s outstretched arm in the penalty area and VAR would almost certainly have given it. It was a decent win and it was a good feeling walking out of the Den with three points in the bag! COYL!
Highlights confirm a couple of things - The defence looked very shaky. Malone is not a wing back and looks poor in a better team and Jake [Captain?] seems to have lost a lot of pace. In the first half the ball hits their player on the back in the area - Jake 5 feet away- their player turns- Jake still 5 feet away- their player changes the ball to right foot- Jake still 5 feet away- their player gets a shot off- Jake still 5 feet away- Bart tips it over the bar. Also watch him for their second goal, he just trots back miles away from the action.
I like him a lot but think he needs a spell out of the team, I would have hutch back and try Topaloj at left back - if we are light up front we can’t keep giving away goals!