Just Back v Rovers

silverlion

Staff member
A tight and scrappy game where they scored with their only shot on goal.

We started well and there were three chances in the first 5 minutes. A cross from Jed was headed over, a long range effort from Evans on the half way line did not catch out their retreating keeper and a header from Cooper following a corner. We looked up for it but they looked like spoilers in the middle. There was a lot of scrappy play where we moved the ball well but they gave us no space to develop our attacks. Jed looked lively, Danny made some good runs down the right and Molly got forward at every opportunity. We just didn't look enough of a threat in the final third to score a goal. At times it looked promising but it fell apart when we got close. Dutch was having a tight game in the middle, Saville was trying hard to create a chance but Evans looked off the pace and really never improved throughout the game. The game was not helped by a ref who missed all the obvious stuff and let the game flow but pulled it back when there was not need. It all ended up being stop start and frustration was growing in the crowd. Surely GR could see the weakness in the middle and correct it at the break as the half finished goalless.

There were no changes for us at the break but they made a change. The second half needed a decent pass or a chance in front of goal but we had to wait a while before it eventually came. A surprising cross field pass from Ballard found Molly in space on the left. He hit his cross first time and Jed stole in on the right to side foot it home. It was a goal worthy of winning any game. The Den erupted but there was no music! We continued to press forward in search of a second but never really created a decent chance. Smith came on for Benik and Leonard came on for Saville but it really should have been Evans going off. There was a firm challenge on their right which didn't really look a foul but the ref gave it. The free kick was flat and hit with pace and their Brereton glanced it home. Bart stood no chance. It was their only shot on goal. Mitchell came on for Evans near the death but forgot his magic wand to turn the game. They had a man down for ages near the end and you would have thought he had broken both legs. After extensive treatment with the magic sponge he struggled to get up but was running around like a greyhound in thirty seconds. We piled on the pressure at the death but to not avail and the game ended all square.

Bart had little to do and could do little to stop their goal as it was right in the corner. Danny had a decent game was aggressive and made some good runs down the right. Murray was solid in the middle and Cooper tried so hard to score from set pieces but the MOM was Ballard. He never missed anything and his cross field pass to set up the goal was excellent. Dutch was busy and full of hustle and bustle, Saville had his moments but Evans was average at best. Jed was busy, took his goal well and Benik had some good movement and touches. Smith was his normal one dimensional self, Leonard added some bite in the middle and Mitchell hardly broke sweat.

All in all a scrappy game which we had the better of but just couldn't turn our advantage into a a second goal and they were very lucky to come away with a point. They have had the Indian sign over us for far too long so, at least with a draw we have stemmed the tide a little. The atmosphere was magic and it was good to be back to live league football.

Cross field ball from Ballard out of defence finds Malone in space on the left. Powerful drive into the box for Jed to smash home. Afobe tracking back concedes an unnecessary foul. Their man glances an unchallenged header past Bart from the free kick .

And so it begins .....drawing games we should have won cost us a top 6 position......with the negative ,dull ,boring approach GR as the team playing we won't going nowhere.....still missing a proper partner for Beni and why do we play such a defensive formation at home.......I thought Harris was tacticless I think GR sent to the same coaching course........not millwall.for me

We enjoyed it, didn't have to sit in the allocated seats, sat were we all normally sit, even brought beers up to back if block 10. Thought result was fair, but most of all enjoyed being at the den once more, so so we got the train down there and you couldn't right the script like this, straight through to London Bridge at 2pm, train to South bermondsey at 14 19 one stop fcking train in fro breaks down on platform, this is getting tight for time, re routed to new Cross gate with 15 mins to kick off, reprieved game held back for 15 mins, rest history, oh six pints in me old haunt the rose in, best day we've had in 18 months.

Thanks Silver. One description missing is a most incompetent and dare I say "bent" referee. Absolutely shocking performance. Two nailed on penalties. The Authorities must take any derogatory complaints about referees seriously S the.faith in the integrity and honesty of referees will be lost.

Thanks Silver. One description missing is a most incompetent and dare I say "bent" referee. Absolutely shocking performance. Two nailed on penalties. The Authorities must take any derogatory complaints about referees seriously S the.faith in the integrity and honesty of referees will be lost.
It's millwall.....they give us nothing....never had ....never will......these people make high mistakes but get away with it week.in...week out.....no comeback....his constant blowing up for b,burn was so blatant

The problem is the negative, safety first approach, based on the managers perception that all opponents carry the same threat as the 1970 Brazil team.
If you've got three in centre midfield one has to break lines and make runs beyond the striker to stretch the opposition. It happens rarely if at all.
With Saville and Kief in there you don't need an Evans or even a Leonard, you need a playmaker an opener of defences. Someone who can run beyond, feed striker in or score themselves.
You either play Jed there or try Mahoney. Saville is not that player, he is better deeper attacking the box later.
Adobe cuts a lone furrow up there and needs a proper partner.
We need to do some business before deadline day. One or two out and at least one attacker in or its mid table again.
We won't lose many though.

As a supplement to Silvers excellent report I offer my own non footballing view of the day.

Got the 11.13 train from Polegate. After a long slow laborious journey and stopping at stations that weren’t even on the schedule we changed at Purley. We then sampled the delights of Selhurst, Thornton Heath and others on the way to South Bermondsey.

We then walked along Ilderton Road arriving at The Den at about 13.30ish. We stopped for a pint of ice cold piss at the Big Blue Bus Bar where the ears were assaulted by someone playing ‘music’ that nearly burst my eardrums.

We took our seats in Block 5 and looked forward to hearing what John Berylson had to say. What a disappointment that was. I couldn’t make out a single word he had to say thanks to the ridiculous noise levels of the public address system.

The game itself wasn’t that great and I had the feeling that one goal would settle it. When Jed scored I was hoping that would be it, alas the annoying Rovers No 22 equalised with a deft glancing header.

With no outstanding candidate for MOM I would give it to the referee for not being conned by the continuous falling over and claims for free kicks.
Dumbass of the match I would give to George Evans for falling on the ball and then picking it up expecting a free kick for it but conceded one instead.

I won’t bore you any longer other than to say I should have been home over an hour earlier than I was thanks to the late kick off and a cancelled train. Other than all of that it was great to be back at The Den again.

Bang on 100% Obeney. Some would say bordering on cheating? What game was he at because it wasn’t the same one as us!? Atrocious refereeing 😡

Thanks Silver.

listen, I like Adobe, but what did he do today that everyone is so happy about?

He carried no threat and his first touch is like a fuckin trampoline at the moment. Hope he improves but save sucking his cock til he does ffs. He’s bang average on the ball but yes he ran about a lot….so did George Lawrence

Members online