Just Back v Rams

silverlion

Staff member
A poor performance, a lacklustre first half but a better second half.

We started brightly and Jed looked lively. We pushed forward well but after a few minutes they could tell that we were there for the taking. They pushed the ball around well at the back, always had a man coming short and started to build some momentum. We were two yards off the pace and struggled to get a foothold in the game. They were content to build their attack but it did take them fifteen minutes before they really threatened. Some good movement down their left saw a good cross in the box which Bart had to deal with to avert the danger. They continued to press forward and although they didn’t look really threatening they had us on the back foot. There was a scramble in the box which we managed to clear but it did not stop them pressing and probing. We were our worst enemies too. We could win the first ball but were just not sharp enough to win the second ball. Our passing was not at its best and we couldn’t really get going. With about three minutes to go before the break they scored. Cooper made a complete pigs ear of controlling the ball on the edge of his box. Their forward got it, hit it across, another player moved it on to their right winger who smashed it home with Bart having no chance. The was a general groan in the crowd and many went off for a pint or a pee feeling disgruntled. It took us only 90 seconds to get back into it. A good move down the right with Jed who slightly overran the ball but it fell kindly for him. He hit it across the box to Molly who was steaming in. He hit it well into the corner and past their keeper. And so it ended all square at the break.

We we’re all thinking that we are a second half team and GR would sort it all out over the break. We came out firing on all cylinders, moved five yards further up the pitch, got our foot in and started to rattle them. The crowd came into it with this burst of forward energy and we started to look better. Jed was sent clear and only had the keeper to beat but Roos spread himself well and the chance was gone. Then came the pivotal moment. A good ball forward found Bennett who rounded their full back but was strongly challenged. It was his second booking so off he went for an early bath. We were all screaming at the ref to leave the full back on as we always find it difficult to beat ten men. He wasn’t listening. We pressed forward with intent and a great move down their right saw an excellent chance for Saville. Ten yards out with the keeper to beat he hit it wide of Roos and wide of the far post. He held his head in his hands. It was a shocking miss.

Meanwhile they looked as if they had twelve men and pushed forward when they could. Ballard went down with a concussion and we made four subs in total. Danny and Smith followed by Bradshaw and finally Ojo. No matter what we tried it didn’t come off. The worst culprit was Jed. On one occasion he got the ball wide right, Danny set off like an express train down the right into acres of space but he passed it inside to Saville who miscontrolled it. We had a skyed shot from Molly and a near miss in the box from Benik but our shooting boots deserted us. It was very frustrating. Even six added minutes did not help us and the game ended even.

Bart was solid and could do little about their goal. Leonard was Mr versatile and played full back, midfield and right sided defender. Cooper had a mare and gave the, the first goal. Ballard was good but went off with concussion midway through the second half. Murray probably edged MOM with a solid and forthright performance. Molly looked good in parts, Billy was busy but had a couple of blips and Saville had some moments but made a glaring miss. Jed was busy but had one of those games where he thought he could change the game and the truth was he couldn’t. Benik ran hard but showed little threat and Bennett had a better second half than the first. Smith won some headers, Bradshaw was busy, Danny was lively and Ojo never really got into the game.

SSN said at lunchtime that they have won our last five encounters. Well they didn’t win today but that was probably due to our poor second half finishing. Frustrating to watch but our poor first half performance set the tone for the game. And to cap it all I missed BP in Arry’s Bar and drowned my sorrow with tea and chips with the busty ladies in the Millwall cafe.

Pretty much spot on Silver.

I agree about Jed & his choices at times but he was the only one getting balls into the box. He threatened their defence perfectly most of the time, but the forwards didnt do their jobs.
We cant blame Jed for that.

I also think Rowett needs to stop this chopping H changing. The flow isnt there for the team as a collective.
We need a solid line up, our best bench & stick with it.

We in block 10 thought is was shocking, Cooper is absolutely useless with ball control that's why he wants to launch it as quickly as he can. Their passing was a level above ours, fast, precise and dangerous, what is it about 10 men we struggle with. Composure. Enough said.

A poor performance, a lacklustre first half but a better second half.

We started brightly and Jed looked lively. We pushed forward well but after a few minutes they could tell that we were there for the taking. They pushed the ball around well at the back, always had a man coming short and started to build some momentum. We were two yards off the pace and struggled to get a foothold in the game. They were content to build their attack but it did take them fifteen minutes before they really threatened. Some good movement down their left saw a good cross in the box which Bart had to deal with to avert the danger. They continued to press forward and although they didn’t look really threatening they had us on the back foot. There was a scramble in the box which we managed to clear but it did not stop them pressing and probing. We were our worst enemies too. We could win the first ball but were just not sharp enough to win the second ball. Our passing was not at its best and we couldn’t really get going. With about three minutes to go before the break they scored. Cooper made a complete pigs ear of controlling the ball on the edge of his box. Their forward got it, hit it across, another player moved it on to their right winger who smashed it home with Bart having no chance. The was a general groan in the crowd and many went off for a pint or a pee feeling disgruntled. It took us only 90 seconds to get back into it. A good move down the right with Jed who slightly overran the ball but it fell kindly for him. He hit it across the box to Molly who was steaming in. He hit it well into the corner and past their keeper. And so it ended all square at the break.

We we’re all thinking that we are a second half team and GR would sort it all out over the break. We came out firing on all cylinders, moved five yards further up the pitch, got our foot in and started to rattle them. The crowd came into it with this burst of forward energy and we started to look better. Jed was sent clear and only had the keeper to beat but Roos spread himself well and the chance was gone. Then came the pivotal moment. A good ball forward found Bennett who rounded their full back but was strongly challenged. It was his second booking so off he went for an early bath. We were all screaming at the ref to leave the full back on as we always find it difficult to beat ten men. He wasn’t listening. We pressed forward with intent and a great move down their right saw an excellent chance for Saville. Ten yards out with the keeper to beat he hit it wide of Roos and wide of the far post. He held his head in his hands. It was a shocking miss.

Meanwhile they looked as if they had twelve men and pushed forward when they could. Ballard went down with a concussion and we made four subs in total. Danny and Smith followed by Bradshaw and finally Ojo. No matter what we tried it didn’t come off. The worst culprit was Jed. On one occasion he got the ball wide right, Danny set off like an express train down the right into acres of space but he passed it inside to Saville who miscontrolled it. We had a skyed shot from Molly and a near miss in the box from Benik but our shooting boots deserted us. It was very frustrating. Even six added minutes did not help us and the game ended even.

Bart was solid and could do little about their goal. Leonard was Mr versatile and played full back, midfield and right sided defender. Cooper had a mare and gave the, the first goal. Ballard was good but went off with concussion midway through the second half. Murray probably edged MOM with a solid and forthright performance. Molly looked good in parts, Billy was busy but had a couple of blips and Saville had some moments but made a glaring miss. Jed was busy but had one of those games where he thought he could change the game and the truth was he couldn’t. Benik ran hard but showed little threat and Bennett had a better second half than the first. Smith won some headers, Bradshaw was busy, Danny was lively and Ojo never really got into the game.

SSN said at lunchtime that they have won our last five encounters. Well they didn’t win today but that was probably due to our poor second half finishing. Frustrating to watch but our poor first half performance set the tone for the game. And to cap it all I missed BP in Arry’s Bar and drowned my sorrow with tea and chips with the busty ladies in the Millwall cafe.
I was there, mate, at 1430

A great performance by our support though... By 1415 our one Poppy collection bucket was literally overflowing with coins - it was full to the brim and considering a lot of it was folding that is pretty amazing... What's even more amazing is QoTJ went off to get another bucket and by ko that was pretty much full up too. Class. Cheers all you generous people.

The serving Submariner who was standing with us for most of the time said to me "I've done quite a few of these collections, but I've never seen people put money in like this, it's incredible".
He'd never been to any football match before, I hope he enjoyed himself and I hope he comes back.

Another inept performance im afraid.....outplayed by the bottom team with 10 men....had a good to second half but too many missed chances, can't see how Saville is in the team, non exsistant for much of the game again with terrible ball control & passing.
It seems we can only pass backwards or sidewards with the hopeful "Harris hoof" making a regular feature.....Smith brought on too late & the rest of the subs had people around me scratching their heads
We did,nt lose but a draw was woeful but onwards for those going up to Boro

I find it amazing that the players that were introduced as subs in our last match and make an impact but the minute they are put into the next games starting line-up they all seem to fail to have the same impact.
Malone got the equaliser. Not sure what more of an impact you want.

I find it amazing that the players that were introduced as subs in our last match and make an impact but the minute they are put into the next games starting line-up they all seem to fail to have the same impact.
It seems to happen pretty much every game that follows a win and a good performance! This is why the usual suspects seem to get to the play offs every year, because they work as a team, and have players that do the simple things: pass and move, pass and move, players making small triangular moves between themselves to keep the ball and possession, whilst waiting for an opening to present itself, but always trying to move forward towards the opposition’s goal!

What do our players do? They play head tennis with the ball, and when it hits the deck, someone instantly boots it up field, with no idea if a fellow player is there to receive it or not! No one seems to want to take responsibility in those situations and hold the ball: just give it away quickly to the opposition, who then play it the right way, and end up causing us trouble!

If you have the ball, the opposition can’t score without it!

Maybe Rowett needs to instill thinking like this into the player’s heads!

I agree about Jed & his choices at times but he was the only one getting balls into the box.
If we weren't so one dimensional and reliant on him i think we'd be more of a threat as a team. Nearly all our attacks are down the right and easy to defend against. He also nneeds to stop having a pop at players who don't give him the ball when he's demading it, often when there's better options on. It's not playing for the team when you're undermining your team mates. Why the hell he wanted to take a free kick in our own half today is beyond me, surely with the strike he has on him he should be loitering around the edge of the box waiting for a loose ball.

Last edited:
I won't complain about the final result because i think they looked a threat and better going forward than we did, they broke form back to front quickly and looked more likely to score than us.

Started brightly and then it all went rather lack-lustre after that.
A poor starting 11 from GR in my opinion. Had better options to start the game even with Hutch out.
Good goal by Malone.

If we weren't so one dimensional and reliant on him i think we'd be more of a threat as a team. Nearly all our attacks are down the right and easy to defend against. He alsonneeds to stop having a pop at players who don't give him the ball when he's demading it, often when there's better options on. It's not playing for the team when you're undermining your team mates. Why the hell he wanted to take a free kick in our own half today is beyond me, surely with the strike he has on him he should be loitering around the edge of the box waiting for a loose ball.
Cant argue with that!

I think this is a psycological thing with him though mate.
For a long time, he was relied on & he took everything on his shoulders.

But this needs to be knocked out of him & the person to do that is Rowett!
He needs man management & fast.

Do what he does best & thats attack the defence & either have a pop himself or get the balls in there. When he does that, there isnt a better player on the pitch!

Have just watched the highlights online and I have come to the conclusion it was two points dropped. We had enough chances to score one, if not two goals but just didn’t take our chances. The most glaring miss was from Saville. A great move down the left put it on a plate for him but he just side footed it wide. His reaction told it all and he knows he should have just put it away. Other notable misses were a decent long range effort from Molly, a good one on one from Jed where the keeper spread himself and got lucky and a good overhead kick from Benik which didn’t quite have enough power to beat the keeper.A notable mention for Bart, who probably did edge MOM with two excellent saves in the second half which had goal written all over them.
Sorry to have missed BP in Arry’s bar. It is a while since we last met at the Den and maybe I just didn’t recognise you in amongst all the many who were in there. Next time you are over we will have to think of a better plan. I echo your thoughts about the Millwall family. There are people who sit near me who I only ever see in Block 29, I don’t know some of their names but we are United in our support of the Mighty Lions.

Malone got the equaliser. Not sure what more of an impact you want.
I probably failed to make clear that it was a generalisation of subs making an impact then failing to reproduce in a starting line up, it would be stupid of me to say there is never an exception to that statement.

Cheers for the report Silver, we seem to be struggling to find our feet at The Den this season.