Just Back v Hull

silverlion

Staff member
A poor and very frustrating performance which ended goalless.

We began well. The regulation long ball from our keeper found Cooper and we got a corner in the first minute. Before the ball was even swung over their defender has got his arms all around Cooper and pulls his shirt as he runs away. The ref gives nothing. Two minutes later we get another corner and exactly the same thing happens and the ref gives nothing. The frustration started early and it increased as the game went on. We pressed hard. Bradshaw was getting little headway against their defenders but Burey had one decent run where he nutmegged their defender but his cross came to nothing. He repeated the trick a few minutes later but a heavy touch sent the ball over the byline. Flem was becoming influential and a free kick outside the box was beautifully struck but was a balls width wide. Then came the move of the half when Flem just nicked the ball away from their defender. He sprayed it wide and some delightful one twos with Bradshaw put him in the clear ten yards out but the keeper saved his shot. Then came the turning point of the game as they went down to ten. Their CF kicked the side of Cresswell’s head and the ref sent him off for an early bath. We were all screaming for him to be left on but the ref wasn’t listening and they were down to ten. Before all of that Long made a good save from a shot through a group of players to keep us in the game. Then it was half time.

GR changed tactics slightly as they were down to ten but their tactics were more successful and they passed the ball around as if they had twelve and we had ten. We took a while to impose ourselves on the game but after 65 made three subs. Burey Sav and Honeyman were replaced by Vogi Bennett and Styles. We pressed really hard with lots of attacks down the left and everyone was very anxious to push forward. We did score but it was ruled offside and also created several chances. The best was a close range header from Bradshaw which the keeper clawed away Shack and Evans came on for Billy and Danny with five to go and despite there being an added five minutes we just could not get the ball into the net.

It was both frustrating and anxious and did get a little frantic as the minutes ebbed away. However a supporter leaving with me told me they had won their last two away games scoring seven so maybe we should be pleased to come away with a point and a clean sheet. I did talk to Ian on the way to the ground and I hope he sees a better game at Deepdale next week…if he goes.

Long made one decent save but had little else to do. Danny played well, Cresswell was error free and Cooper was dominant. Molly hit some good crosses, Billy ran hard and so did Sav. Honeyman had some moments but Flem probably edged MOM with our two best chances. Burey came and went and Bradshaw ran hard but wasn’t a great threat. Vogi Styles and Bennett ran hard and Shack and Evans played OK in their ten minute cameo.

Watched the Sheffield United game earlier a kesson on how to score gioals , we were never going to score ok Hull were resilient and dogged, but come on 10 men, most teams would be feasting on that.

If the last 3 games do not prove to the manager that we need a proper forward with a bit of height & build cause when all is said & done our forward line e is lacking and we are dropping valuable points , midfield is pretty decent ,back line looks pretty solid again goals win games but we are still struggling

Thanks Silver. Pretty much how I saw it.
I agree with Phil above, we need a proper centre forward with a bit of muscle.
But where do you get one without paying silly money? It is what it is I'm afraid.
COYL!!!

Thanks Silver, always appreciated. Saw it basically as you did. We need a big, powerful centre forward but, knowing the 'Wall I doubt if we'll get one.

Cheers Silver. We need someone in attack who can hold the ball up, Bradshaw then might score some goals. Made hard work of earning a point today.

The ref spoilt the game and was out of his depth. Never heard of him before. Has anyone else?
He failed to give probably 3-4 pens for fouls on Coops and a staggering ignorance at the end when I think it was Evans who was held prostrate on the ground! He failed to deal with their time wasting which started as soon the red card was issued. He failed ti the let the game flow with his fussy insistence on where the free kick should be taken. He failed book their keeper for constantly taking the piss out of the ref. He also failed to conceal he’s a fat ginger cunt!

I don’t know what it’s going to take for a referee to award Cooper a penalty from one of our corners, probably him being taken out by a sniper or something. Several times in the last three games he’s been manhandled to the floor only for the ref to either completely ignore it or even more astonishingly award a free kick to the opposing side.

The ref spoilt the game and was out of his depth. Never heard of him before. Has anyone else?
He failed to give probably 3-4 pens for fouls on Coops and a staggering ignorance at the end when I think it was Evans who was held prostrate on the ground! He failed to deal with their time wasting which started as soon the red card was issued. He failed ti the let the game flow with his fussy insistence on where the free kick should be taken. He failed book their keeper for constantly taking the piss out of the ref. He also failed to conceal he’s a fat ginger cunt!
I wish he'd failed to turn up at the ground.

Thanks Silver, Hull have let in more goals than any other team in the Championship so there was no excuse for not getting at least one past the ten men. We lacked the quality to play it past their defenders and when we did cross the ball there was generally no one there. Maybe Afobe would have made a difference, anyone know how long he’s out for?

Thanks Silver, Hull have let in more goals than any other team in the Championship so there was no excuse for not getting at least one past the ten men. We lacked the quality to play it past their defenders and when we did cross the ball there was generally no one there. Maybe Afobe would have made a difference, anyone know how long he’s out for?
Agree mate. There were only 1 or 2 in the box when our crosses came in. 👍

V 10 men GR I think should have slung another forward to partner Bradshaw and tell the team to retain possession of the ball, move it quicker and pull Hull all over the shop allowing gaps for Zian, Burey/Bennett to exploit those gaps, poor in game management IMHO.

Last edited:
“I understand why it was given, I just hope it's not seen as dangerous or reckless play because he's just tried to take the ball down, it's just an unfortunate incident”
Not dangerous or reckless? He’s got to be fucking joking!

But other than that do you think he did ok.

Staff online

Members online