Just Back v Hammarby

silverlion

Staff member
A closely fought game against a better quality opposition which they won after a penalty shoot out.

We started well with some good play from Benik and Bradshaw. It wasn’t long before there was a long hold up following a clash of heads in the box. A decent ball forward to Bradshaw saw him floored close to the corner flag and Molly took the resulting free kick. He floated it to the far post and Cooper and their defender went for and there was a clash of heads. Both trainers came on and Cooper was first to his feet. Their bloke got taped up like a scene from Casualty and the game continued after a break of several minutes. We looked the most likely to score. There was a good through ball to Molly and other half chances which came to nothing. We were definitely on the front foot. As hard as we pressed we couldn’t really get a clear break though and slowly but surely they came back into it. They had a very good ten minutes when they pressed us back and we had to be at our best to keep them out. A great through ball into the inside left position set their striker through but Bart was equal to it with a fingertip save which pushed it past our post. We came into it for the last couple of minutes of the first half but it still ended goalless.

Afer the break we brought on Bennett and Cresswell for Benik and Hutch and they both slotted in well We had a little more aggression in our play led by Bennett who rolled their defender a couple of times and pushed us forward. They played some decent and incisive football and we had to defend resolutely to keep them out. Cresswell looked solid and Murray was Mr dependable. After an hour we took off Bradshaw Danny and Evans and put on Leonard, Shack and Oloafe. We continued to press forward and an energetic bicycle kick was Flem’s last contribution as Burey replaced him. They were not done and Bart made another decent save to keep them out. At the death Topalloj came on for Molly.The game then descended into a midfield battle with neither side looking threatening and ended goalless.

Oloafe missed his pen and they won the shootout.

Bart was decent and made tow decent saves but got nowhere near their penalties. Danny look solid and aggressive and Hutch looked similar. Cooper played his part and Murray was ever dependable. Honeyman looked to have plenty of bite and Evans had his moments but how he got the nod over Billy is only known to GR. Flem looked much better in his ten role. He played with composure and confidence and linked the play well. Benik looked lively and Bradshaw had some moments too. Leonard slotted in seemlessly, Oloafe was no more than a willing runner and Shack was similar. Burey gave the ball away cheaply and Topalloj hardly had time to break sweat.

All in all, a decent work out but the excitement petered out for the last thirty minutes and they probably deserved to shoot out win as they took their pens really well.

Hard to know what to make of friendlies and what the first 11 will be against Stoke. Hammerby were decent, their Centre forward in the first half would not be out of place in the Champiomship. We were a much better team with Bennett and Cresswell on the pitch, Honeyman was calm on the ball. The obvious flaw was we still have no one in Centre mid looking for the obvious pass and then laying the ball off, in the 523 line up. Just about everyone came on apart from Mitchell, so you have to think first name on the real team sheet. Malone was his usual self all one footed, dangerous at times and then giving the ball up too easy, Murray for LB

First game I have managed to see. So...
Someone needs to cover right midfield when Danny goes forward. We got caught a couple of times down the right. Mason looks sharp. For a side with 5 at the back we should not have to rely on two good stops by Bart. Honeyman looks busy but needs to be a bit more controlled in the tackle otherwise he will get sent off. Punting long balls up to Ben wont work unless he has someone else with him.That needs to stop. Cooper had a couple of unforced errors controlling the ball. The hammers looked a good side in patches. Overall I think once the team bed down we should be ok.

A Sunderland supporting mate of mine said Honeyman does everything the other don’t want to do and does rack up the yellow cards and when he isn’t playing you notice it more.

Thought it was entertaining enough for a friendly but would have liked to see a few shots being taken that said Zian’s attempt before he was taken off shows he isn’t afraid to try those sort of things where are afraid to even attempt a basic shot.

As others have said, you can’t take too much out of these games. Saturday will be cagey as well and I wouldn’t read too much into who starts Saturday starts against Stoke. GR is clearly trying to get fitness versus minutes across the entire squad.
I am hearing there will be a behind close doors friendly next week and that is most likely the point where he plays his starting 11.

Last edited:
As others have said, you can’t take too much out of these games. Saturday will be cagey as well and I wouldn’t read too much into who starts Saturday starts against Stoke. GR is clearly trying to get fitness versus minutes across the entire squad.
I am hearing there will be a behind close doors friendly next week and that is most likely the point where he plays his starting 11.

We've got Ipswich lined up again between now and the end of the season as well.

Somehow I completely forgot to mention Sav. He came on after an hour and had a decent 30 minutes. He fitted in very quickly, made some decent tackles and made good use of the ball. We now seem overloaded with players who can fill that role. If we are going to play that formation of two holding midfielders, a ten in behind the two front runners then we now have an abundance of central midfielders. For me Billy fills that role best and then we have Honeyman, Sav, Shackleton and Evans. The latter has his moments but for me, he is the weakest in that position. I never really understood how he got the nod over Billy last night. The only thing I can think of is that GR is fully aware of what he can do and did not need to see it again in last nights game.
I am also convinced that the days of Leonard playing in midfield are almost over. He is adequate cover for Danny and now that we have Shackleton we are double covered. I also wonder what part Muller might play in the first team set up. He is a stylish central defender but he never got good game time at St Johnstone. Now that we have Cresswell and GR talks openly of Evans and Leonard‘s ability to cover the Central defender role, plus today’s news that Alex Mitchell will be out on loan this season I cannot quite see Muller’s role. He didn’t even make the bench last night.
Add to that there is still talk of another signing before the season opener but that surely cannot be another defender! Or could it be another front man like Dwight Gayle? Surely he has run out of shelf life! But, what do I know? Watch this space.

Somehow I completely forgot to mention Sav. He came on after an hour and had a decent 30 minutes. He fitted in very quickly, made some decent tackles and made good use of the ball. We now seem overloaded with players who can fill that role. If we are going to play that formation of two holding midfielders, a ten in behind the two front runners then we now have an abundance of central midfielders. For me Billy fills that role best and then we have Honeyman, Sav, Shackleton and Evans. The latter has his moments but for me, he is the weakest in that position. I never really understood how he got the nod over Billy last night. The only thing I can think of is that GR is fully aware of what he can do and did not need to see it again in last nights game.
I am also convinced that the days of Leonard playing in midfield are almost over. He is adequate cover for Danny and now that we have Shackleton we are double covered. I also wonder what part Muller might play in the first team set up. He is a stylish central defender but he never got good game time at St Johnstone. Now that we have Cresswell and GR talks openly of Evans and Leonard‘s ability to cover the Central defender role, plus today’s news that Alex Mitchell will be out on loan this season I cannot quite see Muller’s role. He didn’t even make the bench last night.
Add to that there is still talk of another signing before the season opener but that surely cannot be another defender! Or could it be another front man like Dwight Gayle? Surely he has run out of shelf life! But, what do I know? Watch this space.
Ellis Simms IMO

Dwight Gayle gone to Stoke I think