Just Back v Forest

silverlion

Staff member
A defeat Grabb(an)Ed from the jaws of a desperate draw.

We started brightly and they looked nothing like the side that beat the Gooners last week. We almost got off to a flyer. A decent ball down the middle found hot shot Tom who was upended in his forward movement. The ref was about to blow but played on and a fierce shot from Molly was pushed wide at the near post by their keeper. We kept pressing and it looked as if they would wilt. Danny was lively down the right, Murray and Molly did the same down the left and Ojo was looking a real threat in that ten role. He glided past players in the middle and set up some good opportunities down the left. They had to be on their toes to keep out a long cross from Molly on the left to Danny on the far post but it was smothered by their keeper. They really struggled to get into the game and we pressed hard and pushed forward with threat. The first turning point came on 25 when a good through ball found Tom. He cut inside from the left to the right but slipped in the box and fell awkwardly and tweaked his left knee. He cold not continue and Bennett replaced him. He does add some aggression to our forward movement but did not have the same partnership with Benik. Ten minutes later came the next turning point. Ojo got clattered in a tackle and, despite treatment, just lost his edge and was a bit of a passenger for the next ten. This coincided with them getting back in the game and some neat passing pushed them up the field. The ball flashed across our box and Bart did well to keep out their effort. We were happier to hear the half time whistle than they were.

Ojo was clearly not up for returning in the second half and it was obvious that Ben was coming on as he no part in the half time kickabout. He started the second half and had some forceful runs into their half. They had other ideas. They pushed a pressed and had us on the back foot for long periods. It seemed like just a matter of time. The ball flashed across our box a couple of times, Bart made some last ditch saves, we had some last minute blocks and they had an overhead kick that just cleared our bar. We just could not keep the ball. Benik was a big offender followed by Ben who though he could outmuscle three of them in the middle rather than laying off the simple pass. As we approached injury time we came into it more. Their keeper made two blinding saves and Benik missed a great chance to put us ahead at the death. Earlier Hutch was crocked but played on but only looked 80%. Then we pushed the self destruct button. We gave the ball away cheaply in their half, they sprinted down the right, pushed it inside and a low cross was turned home by the bearded one who was designed to score. They went nuts and their celebrations were way over the top. It was very disappointing.

Bart made one decent save in the first half and several decent saves to keep us in it in the second half. Danny played well, was solid in defence and threatening in attack and probably shaded MOM. Hutch was solid, Cooper was a good partner and Murray was his usual dependable self. Billy ran his nuts off in the middle, Evans was OK in parts, Molly looked full of energy and Ojo looked very good in parts. Benik flattered to deceive and did not make the best of his opportunities. Tom looked sharp until his injury. Bennett was aggressive and tried hard to push us forward. Ben tried but tried too hard and had little impact late on.

All in all it was very disappointing. We were hanging on but just couldn’t see out the last couple of minutes and fell to defeat.

excellent game of football. but when both bradshaw and ojo came off we had to rely on blood and thunder and it just won't cut it at this level.

but no complaints really. if ojo, bradshaw and jed are injured, then bleak few weeks ahead. maybe we need to get tyler involved more and mahooney.
Time to.try the young ones if we are that short of forwards

Thanks again silverlion for your just back report. I have to disagree though when you say Hutch was solid.
I thought he had a terrible game and their Number 9 ran him ragged all through the game. The worst I have seen Hutch play for a long time in my opinion.
Sorry mate but I don’t think you watched the same Hutch that I did.

Thank, Silver.

Thought we played really well until we lost Bradshaw, unfortunately neither Bennett or Smith can give us what Bradshaw can. Once Ojo went off any threat we had was lost. Can't quite understand why Ojo was replaced by Thompson when we had Mahoney and Burey on the bench. A small squad carrying to many passengers will always be up against it when tested, today was one of those days and it showed in the latter part of the game.

Thanks again silverlion for your just back report. I have to disagree though when you say Hutch was solid.
I thought he had a terrible game and their Number 9 ran him ragged all through the game. The worst I have seen Hutch play for a long time in my opinion.
Sorry mate but I don’t think you watched the same Hutch that I did.
100% and his distribution was appalling 🤦‍♂️

Have just watched the lowlights on the EFL app and there is no doubt that either team could have won it at the death. Benik missed two golden chances to claim all three points in the last five minutes. Their keeper made a couple of very good saves in that period. Mind you, our goal led a charmed life during the second half. A combination of very good saves from Bart, some wayward shooting from them plus some good fortune which saw the ball fly across the face of our box saved us. I was coming to terms with an exciting draw in injury time when Molly’s throw never reached Benik, they sprinted down the field for the inevitable winner by the bearded one. My mate and I left straight after knowing there was no way back. It was a sickener.
It brings into sharp focus two clear facts. When we have our best players fit and running and giving their all then we are a match for anyone. When we have two or three starters not fit to play, sustain a couple of key injuries during the game then we really struggle. On their first half display they are going nowhere but their second half showing displayed them as a team on the up. For us it was no lack of fight that lost us the game. It was a shortage of skill and game management that cost us in the end.

Have just watched the lowlights on the EFL app and there is no doubt that either team could have won it at the death. Benik missed two golden chances to claim all three points in the last five minutes. Their keeper made a couple of very good saves in that period. Mind you, our goal led a charmed life during the second half. A combination of very good saves from Bart, some wayward shooting from them plus some good fortune which saw the ball fly across the face of our box saved us. I was coming to terms with an exciting draw in injury time when Molly’s throw never reached Benik, they sprinted down the field for the inevitable winner by the bearded one. My mate and I left straight after knowing there was no way back. It was a sickener.
It brings into sharp focus two clear facts. When we have our best players fit and running and giving their all then we are a match for anyone. When we have two or three starters not fit to play, sustain a couple of key injuries during the game then we really struggle. On their first half display they are going nowhere but their second half showing displayed them as a team on the up. For us it was no lack of fight that lost us the game. It was a shortage of skill and game management that cost us in the end.
We were more than a match for them in that 1st 45 minutes, but that changed in the 2nd half, where we faded and they got better. Think it’s not about our best players being fit (as in available to be selected), but more about the players being unfit to sustain the intensity needed over 90 minutes, instead of just the usual first 45 minutes!

I would also add to that list, a shortage of footballing nous from our players. Yesterday was a case in point. Instead of just running the clock down with 1 minute of injury time remaining (and settling for a deserved draw), Molly makes the wrong decision, puts Afobe in an impossible situation, and from that, an opening occurs and Forest punish us with seconds remaining till full time! Each of our players need to be making better decisions because it’s their individual mistakes which are costing the team collectively!

our performance until Bradshaw’s and Ojo’s injuries was good.
When our top 2 in-form attacking players are out, no wonder we struggle for the rest of the game. The last 3 games (Bristol, Palarse and Forest) have been lively attackwise, due to 2 up front and Ojo developing as a #10. It’s a shame this is now blown apart by injuries. Bradshaw is clearly a long term injury (but I’m no dr! )so any faint hope of playoffs have gone.
let’s hope we don’t plummet down towards a relegation tussle. COYL

our performance until Bradshaw’s and Ojo’s injuries was good.
When our top 2 in-form attacking players are out, no wonder we struggle for the rest of the game. The last 3 games (Bristol, Palarse and Forest) have been lively attackwise, due to 2 up front and Ojo developing as a #10. It’s a shame this is now blown apart by injuries. Bradshaw is clearly a long term injury (but I’m no dr! )so any faint hope of playoffs have gone.
let’s hope we don’t plummet down towards a relegation tussle. COYL
Hopefully we can pand 46 points, bit dicey getting less in my opinion. Then whatever the situation and as has been mentioned before just play the youngsters as part of planning for next season. Of course with injuries we may be forced down that route anyway

This was not the first time Malone has thrown the ball to the oppo, what was he thinking ? i understand footballers dont have much up top but you cannot take it upon yourself to go against team orders at this level of the game, he has been exposed countless times this season and the Palace game highlighted how poor he is at this level.

Recently we were starting to play with a bit more confidence while attacking due to the form of Bradshaw, what Malone did yesterday will have knocked the confidence of the team.

He had only Afobe ahead of him who was well marked by the defender, Rowett had been screaming at the players to take their time so not his fault.

Malone is a liability who thinks he is far better than in reality, leaves Murray exposed on numerous occasions and cannot defend.

We are a better team without Jed and Malone

Needs dropping for a few games

A now standard Millwall game of two halves. We just dont have enough depth in the squad to do what we do best for 90 minutes, pressing (Not flowers).

I would not drop Malone. He is the link up player down the left.