Just Back v Derby on iFlop

silverlion

Staff member
A poor game but a decent defensive display and a smash and grab win.

The game began with some controversy. Their Shinnie tackled over the top on Ben, caught his knee and the ref gave a free kick but produced no card. It could so easily have been a red if it had happened later in the game. We pressed forward to Jed who flicked it on to Bennett but he scuffed his shot wide That was almost our only attacking threat for much of the half as we conceded space to them all over the park. Fortunately they were not that good and thought by retaining possession they would overcome us. We had other ideas. We kept our shape, got our foot in, denied them space and time and they attacked down the flanks. A couple of decent crosses from their right found their LWB climbing above Romeo but he headed wide. We had a firm rein on Kazim Richards and they showed little threat and really did not test Bart. I really did think that it was just a matter of time but our solid defensive play and their lack of threat saw us edging towards half time. Then we put some pressure on. Their over eager defender pushed Ben over by the left touch line and Jed hit a peach of a free kick into the heart of their box which caused panic. It was hacked clear for a corner. Jed swung it in and Hutch just got ahead of their CB and headed it firmly home for 1-0. We played out the last two minutes of the half with no drama.

GR would have been the happier manager in the dressing room and I am sure he said more of the same. That is exactly how we started the half. Everybody was getting their foot in and closing down the spaces and they tried hard to get a foothold in the game but just couldn't manage it. Murray did well to last 60 minutes but was running out of puff after an hour and on came Fergie to replace him. We had an earlier break down the middle to Bennett on the left, his cross to Ben should have been hit first time but he back heeled it to Jed who was tackled as he was shaping to shoot. They changed shape to a flat back four and brought on several subs to pep up their attack but they could not find a way through. They did hit the bar from a deep corner but that was as close as it got. With 15 to go off came Ben and Bennett and on came Mitchell and Bradshaw. Little changed except we had fresh legs which frustrated them even more. With 8 to go on came Williams for Evans and Bod for Jed and we had a little more threat going forward and tried hard to keep the ball in their half. Bod won some headers, Bradshaw ran around busily, Mitchell got his foot in and Williams used his experience to contain them. The added four minutes was played out without drama.

Bart had very little to do but did it well. Romeo defended well but misplaced a couple of passes in the middle. Pearce was solid and so was Cooper but MOM was shaded by Hutch. Always in the right place at the right time and a decent headed goal for the winner. Murray played his usual aggressive game and gave little away. Woods was tidy and Evans was more of a defensive midfielder trying to keep a tight rein on Shinnie. He got booked and walked a fine line for a second booking before being taken off late on. Jed and Bennett were both busy but only showed rare glimpses of threat. Fergie played OK and only got beaten on the line once. He does have better ball control in tight spaces than Murray. Mitchell was busy defensively, Bradshaw ran around a lot, Bod ran hard and Williams had a decent 15 minute cameo.

So, a clean sheet a solid defensive display, a smash and grab win which takes us to tenth and almost puts us up to the magic 50 points. A clueless manager with a patched up side gets another three points on the road. It was no classic but we rarely looked like losing and will face a tougher challenge next week with games against QPR and Boro.

Felt you assessments were a little on the generous side.

Romeo was appalling going forward and defending, especially the latter; Woods did little; Evans doesn’t look like a natural midfielder; my 18 month old grandson has less problems staying on his feet than Ben; Jed finds it impossible to do the simple thing and link the midfield with the front players and is often the source of opponent attacks starting by giving the ball away.

I thought Bennett did well considering the poor service and lack of support and Murray did okay given he’s been out for several weeks.

Hutch and Pearce stood out and Cooper put in a reasonable performance.

As a team they all fought and defended bravely but it was 3 points nicked, not that I’m complaining 👍

Cheers Silver. Very informative as usual for those of us that didn't watch, just listened.
I do like your comments at the end of each half. " Played out without drama".
Look forward to them more than the match.

Thanks for the match report

I thought Woods and Romeo had poor games, followed by Evans.

Romeo was targeted with crosses and on another day we could have been 2 down at half time if they had put the crosses away.

For a long time we only ever scored from set pieces, today, we scored one for the first time in a long time.

Ben stayed on his feet more so than other games and showed that he is not scared to get stuck in

M.Wallace kept his man quiet I thought, done very well with only one training session under his belt, I feel with him starting today, it will be the end of Ferguson at the club

Young Billy I thought should have started the game ahead of Woods, but that will never happen under GR

I don't see GR being here past maybe 4 months of next season if we have fans back, they just won;t stand for his type of play.

Just watched the highlights and it really does show that we were never really threatened. Bart had an easy afternoon. On reflection Mahlon did not have one of his better days. Hutch had real desire to get to the ball first from the corner and took his goal well. It was almost the only moment of attacking threat we had all afternoon. Evans had one of his least effective games for us since he joined and some would say he was lucky to avoid a second yellow. We also missed the attacking threat of Molly down the left. Murray is a decent defender but charging down the line and adding to our attack is not one of his strengths.
The next two games will be a much greater challenge and Boro will be formidable next Saturday!

Cheers Silver. But Romeo did not defend well. He was awful - and I'm one of his few admirers on here. We missed Leonard badly and as ever an attack.
I have never been impressed by his overlapping but people are now catching on to his weakness in the air esp back post headers. Hell even the commentators are picking up on it

Felt you assessments were a little on the generous side.

Romeo was appalling going forward and defending, especially the latter; Woods did little; Evans doesn’t look like a natural midfielder; my 18 month old grandson has less problems staying on his feet than Ben; Jed finds it impossible to do the simple thing and link the midfield with the front players and is often the source of opponent attacks starting by giving the ball away.

I thought Bennett did well considering the poor service and lack of support and Murray did okay given he’s been out for several weeks.

Hutch and Pearce stood out and Cooper put in a reasonable performance.

As a team they all fought and defended bravely but it was 3 points nicked, not that I’m complaining 👍

You are absolutely correct about Evans. I was all for giving him a go in midfield but the game seemed to pass him by. He is more suited to being one of the three centre-backs.

Also bang on about Jed. If he tried to just do the simple thing his game would improve tenfold. Having said that, there was one moment where he stupidly lost the ball then chased back and won it and then got us a free-kick. His attitude and application are never in question. His decision making is.

On reflection it wasn't a bad weekend after all.
The Lions win away and Rooney's gutted.
England beat Big Pauls lot at Rugby.
Millwall-84 got voted off the forum.
And last but not least West Ham lost.

To round this wonderful weekend off i had a few bottles of wine + hors d'oeuvres in good company.

Members online