Just Back v Coventry on iFlop

silverlion

Staff member
A truly shocking performance and a complete rout at St Andrews.

It began fairly evenly but we looked only a shadow if the team from last week. They had more urgency, more energy and it didn't take them long to start to put the pressure on. For about twenty minutes we were not at the races. They were on the front foot and just pressed us back. The worst culprit was Evans who looked as if his head was somewhere else. They had a couple of efforts which we managed to block but they had the bit between their teeth and they were not going to take their foot off the pedal. Eventually the pressure told. A move down the right was passed across the edge of the box, Evans did not press and their midfielder curled it off the far post for 1-0. GR was doing his nut on the line and we finally showed some pressure and made some chances. A good move involving Molly, Danny and Romeo saw his shot blocked for a corner. From the set piece Cooper headed it inside to Bennett but his shot hit the side netting. The we had our best move with a good ball to Jed from Romeo and the cross was back heeled by Bradshaw but hit the far post with the keeper beaten. Then Billy played a good ball to Bennett but his shot was blocked. We continued to press forward and a cross from Jed was headed over from Bennett. We thought if we could just hold on until half time then we could come again in the second half. They had other ideas and we helped them by pressing the self destruct button. A pass from Bart to Woods put him under prressure so he hit it back to Bart. It got caught under his feet and scuffed it off for a corner. When the set piece was swung in their CB was goal side of Evans, swung his boot at it and it hit the ground and found the corner for 2-0. Changes were needed and GR must have been very disappointed by our poor first half display.

He made three changes at the restart bringing off Bennett, Danny and Mitchell and sending on Mahoney Dutch and Williams who took over the captaincy from Jake. This was surely a sign the this was Williams' swan song. We had the better of the early stages of the second half and looked brighter. A good ball down the line from Williams found Molly and he hit a great cross which their CB diverted into his own net. Bradshaw was waiting to pounce if he had missed it. They were not to be denied though. A ball into the box was blocked by Dutch but it fell kindly to their attacker who tapped it in for 3-1. They poured forward and a good through ball skimmed off Cooper's head, fell to their attacker who crossed it into the box. Romeo slipped at the vital moment and their attacker hit it home for 4-1. Off went Bradshaw for Burey who forgot to take his magic wand on the field to spark a revival. They had the wind in their sails and cross squirmed across the goal for another tap in for 5-1. Woods came off for Ben who also forgot his magic wand to effect a miracle. From a corner it was swung in and hit their attacked on the thigh for 6-1. We were completely massacred and the ref took pity on us by adding no injury time even though there were several subs in the second hald. I am sure he spotted all the blood on the pitch and spared us any further embarrassment.

Bart tried but did not play well. Those in front of him did not help his cause. Danny was lively but caused less threat than normal. Evans was really poor, Mahlon tried but showed that he is not really a CB and Cooper was only really 90%. Molly looked lively and moved forward well but did not defend solidly. Mitchell came and went and so did Woods. Jed was lively but faded badly, Bennett was similar and Bradshaw just got muscled out most of the time. Dutch was really no better then the one he replaced, Mahoney swanned around but showed little threat and Williams showed why it is time to hang up his boots. Burey had no impact and Ben hardly broke sweat.

We lacked urgency all around the pitch, our hearts and minds were on the beach and I am sure they have all got their tickets for two weeks in Portugal starting Monday. And....it showed! Our capitulation was a real embarrassment and a very difficult game to watch. Thanks goodness for the close season!

Thanks, Silver! And hearty thanks for your season's noble work!

Spot on about Bart and that ball out to Woods. He plays it out to a player with not one, not two but THREE bloody Coventry players right around him. He obviously was neither expecting it or wanting it and playing it back ti Bart was the only thing he could do.

Yet that Max bloke was moaning at Woods. What the fuck?!?!? Bart was dire today. Yes, he made a couple if routine saves expected of a keeper at the level. But the one where he palmed the ball with no pace out on the line rather than catching it....pathetic.

And as for time for Williams to hang uo his boots. He should have done it four or five years ago...at least at Championship level.

I don't mind us losing. But that was as shambolic performance as you are ever likely to see. After the half-time substitutions we had no structure whatsoever. Williams was captain: do me a favour. How could he inspire the team? He can't sort his own game out, let alone his team-mates.

Probably some gesture because it was his last game. I bloody well hope so.

Last edited:
Thanks Silver, for all the reports throughout the season.

You deserve a medal.

Hope to see you next season at The Rock, The Den and The Royal Albert Hall.

Cheers.

:thumbup:

Thanks Silver for the just backs today and throughout the season. I know you like to watch a repeat and report back on things you missed first time but can easily forgive you not wanting to watch that game again

Thanks Silver for all your just backs!

Here’s hoping for you (and the rest of us), that next season’s games will be infinitely more winnable and more attractive to watch!

Well done for sticking with it through the season Silver.
You can stop taking the tablets now.
Don't be tempted to go on holiday abroad and then have to quarantine when you come back, you've suffered enough this season.
Have a good summer and let's hope our Lions come back roaring.

Thanks for the seasons reports Silver, like you I have sat through every game and some at ridiculous O’Clock on a school night given my time difference.

Yesterday has to be up there with the Rotherham game at the Den some years ago and also the last time we lost to the train spotters in the snow.

I would go as far as saying every player should be stopped a weeks wages and donated to charity for that capitulation yesterday. An absolute disgrace and one that will fester with me over the summer.

Have a great summer Silver and all the lads on here.

Just watched the lowlights and a second viewing of the game does not make it any less painful. I did wonder whether two or three of them just thought that there was nothing riding on this game and it is just not worth bothering about. That attitude certainly spread amongst the team in the second half particularly with the biggest culprits being Evans, Woods and to a degree Cooper. There was no bite in the tackle, no real desire to close down and to pass the responsibility of defending the space and passing the ball to feet onto the next man.
GR did look crestfallen at the end and his post match comments showed an air of not being able to affect the game to the same degree that he normally enjoys. There was a reference to players playing their last game for Millwall and he has already announced that Williams is one of them. The others should include Woods and Thompson and maybe he has thoughts about one or two more.
For certain the next two months will define his tenure as the Millwall manager. Get shot of those he doesn’t rate and sign up at least two or three more who can move us up the next level. Yesterday was just unacceptable and if there had been any of our fans there he would have been made to feel very uncomfortable leaving the pitch.

There was a reference to players playing their last game for Millwall and he has already announced that Williams is one of them. The others should include Woods and Thompson and maybe he has thoughts about one or two more.
I thought it was interesting that GR said that watching the match may have changed his mind about keeping one or two players.
Clearly that could not have been in a positive way.
So, who could he be talking about?
Who played their way out of an extended stay at the club?

Ben Thompson?

For certain. To be fair the lad only had ten minutes on the field but maybe that was enough to confirm to GR that his future lay elsewhere. Woods is definitely out of the door and maybe he has doubts about Bradshaw or Romeo. Tom is always going to be out muscled by a brawny CB and that was the case yesterday. He was very praiseworthy of Mahlon last week but he didn’t really shine yesterday. Mind you, none of the back three looked good. I do think that it was a case of attitude rather than ability. When absolutely everybody is giving 100% then you can play well but if there are one or two only giving 99% then it makes it much more difficult for the others. And then they just give up and think what is the point. That’s what happened yesterday. I did catch a glimpse or GR on the touch line in the second half and managed to read his lips as he shouted “Have some b****cks!” He was clearly not a happy man!