Just Back v Cherries

silverlion

Staff member
A very good performance, an exciting game to watch and a well earned point.

For once we started on the front foot. There was some good movement down the right with Jed, Benik was pressing hard at the front and Bennett was just being his aggressive self and not giving the defence a moment to dwell on the ball. They looked shell shocked and thought this was just a ten minute press and then we would run out of steam. That just never happened. We looked defensively very solid. Hutch was not giving an inch on Solanke and he wasn’t into the game for thirty minutes or so. We kept pressing and although we didn’t create a decent clear cut chance it was exciting to watch. With ten to go until the break they started to get into the game. There was a shot that flew over the bar and they gained some confidence. With time disappearing fast in the first 45 we pressed the self destruct button. Molly was a little casual brining the ball out of our box, pushed it too far ahead of himself and conceded possession. They pushed forward and gained a corner on the left. It was swung over and Hutch looked as if he was fouled and went down in a heap. The ball was recycled into the middle, it bobbled about and Solanke tucked it home. It was almost a case of one attack, one shot and one goal. We really never deserved it but we were one down at the break.

The second half was more of the same but they did come back into it more. The play was more evenly split but we still looked a danger. Danny was storming down the right and was taking no prisoners. They were moving the ball faster and not dwelling on the ball so the possession was more even. There was some good movement and control from Benik but we just couldn’t fashion a chance. We needed fresh legs. Off came Bennett and on came Bradshaw and his introduction changed the game. A long ball from Hutch was headed on from Bradshaw over the back four and Benik ran on to it well, took it to the right of the goal and hit it across the keeper into the left corner of the goal. The Den went nuts. We took off Molly and put on Ojo with Jed moving left. We pushed and we pressed but we just couldn’t make another chance. They made three subs but couldn’t alter the score line and after four added minutes we saw the game out without drama.

Bart had little to do but did it well. Danny was my MOM with some storming runs down the right, some crisp tackles and an absolute determination that he wasn’t going to get beaten in any way. Ballard was class. Even with an attacker pulling and pushing him every which way he wasn’t going to get beaten. Hutch was very solid and always in the right place at the right time and Murray was just Mr Dependable at all times. Molly had one of his least effective games and it was the right decision to sub him and play a back four. Saville was busy and played an intelligent game with some good covering and passing. Billy had a great game. He had a moment in the second half where he made an interception, beat two on the line and hit a rasping shot which just cleared the bar. Jed had a busy game which carried a threat, Bennett was his normal aggressive self and Benik ran hard and took his goal well.
Bradshaw helped to change the game and Ojo had some decent moments. It was a good game to watch and the crowd got very vocal on the joke of a ref. He got so much wrong it got beyond a joke. Still, it was an exciting game and for the team in second they didn’t look much. If there was ever going to be a winner it was us but we thoroughly deserved our point.

Could/should Bart have come off his line and punched the cross that led to
the first goal. Many claimed a foul on Bennett but surely Bart should have
attacked the cross. Great 2nd half tonight and we could have nicked it in the end

Poor first half & no team deserved to be in front,2nd half was a complete turn round, we got in their faces run their backs raggered and got a deserved goal & could have nicked it ,got to have this attitude in all our games plus a big 💪💪 to mac, had a great game with some great tackles and runs forward it begs to wonder why he,s being left out.. must be a grain of truth in the rumour they had a big fallout

Thanks for the report Silver, two observations, one was that I thought Bournemouth’s best period was in the second half of the first half and that our second half performance was anything but even, we were the better team by far & also the most likely to score. And secondly Ojo had already come on for Malone when we scored & might actually have played a small part in the goal

I’ve just watched the highlights on EFL and there were several issues that were clear which I could not really see from block 29 where I sit. Their midfielder took a really obvious dive in the box trying to get a penalty and did deserve a second yellow and an early bath. Maybe the ref didn’t see it or just chose to ignore it. My mate said that it was a good job he never gave it as we always struggle to play against ten men. There was a definite push by Solanke on Bennett in the lead up to their goal. Bennett did go down easily and a little bit theatrically but it was a push none the less.
The second half was non stop pressure from us and the substitution of Bradshaw for Bennett was the turning point. A great knock on from Tom and Benik showed real class to tuck it away. The two almost combined near the end for our second and it was a very intelligent position from Bradshaw to tap it in if Lerma hadn’t got a toe to the cross.
The crowd really got into it and there was a great atmosphere. The blokes in front of me were giving Parker all sorts of grief. He stupidly tried to engage them but they were having none of it and gave it back ten times as loud. He would have been happy to come away with a point as they were on the rack for much of the second half.
The issue about the free kick for offside is clear. You cannot be offside in your own half but the kick has to be taken where the offence occurred. That was in their half and not ours and the ref was just not alert enough to spot it. The big question is whether we can recover and put on an equally good performance at Hull on Saturday. Watch this space.

Could/should Bart have come off his line and punched the cross that led to
the first goal. Many claimed a foul on Bennett but surely Bart should have
attacked the cross. Great 2nd half tonight and we could have nicked it in the end
I wondered that at the time but having seen the goal on Quest think he made the right decision because if he had come he wouldn’t have got to it.

I thought that was our best performance of the season last night. Apart from a 10-15 minute period at the beginning of the second half, we dominated throughout. Thought everyone - subs included - played well. Afobe had his best game of the season; you could see why teams paid £10+ million for him last night. If you are being critical then we still didn't create many clear cut chances but they defended well. Hopefully more of the same but with a win on Saturday.

If Billy Mitchell keeps progressing as he is he will go on to really great things. He is not afraid to receive the ball and doesn't panic like some of our players who cant wait to get rid of it and just give it back to the opposition. Much better performance last night, better set up, I think it took them by surprise as they were expecting three at the back and we made good positive substitutions. Haven't said that for a while. I dont agree that the Championhship is weak this year its still really hard to play in and I am happy that we have established ourselves in it now, even if its not always pretty to watch.

Last edited:
Their midfielder took a really obvious dive in the box trying to get a penalty and did deserve a second yellow and an early bath. Maybe the ref didn’t see it or just chose to ignore it. My mate said that it was a good job he never gave it as we always struggle to play against ten men. There was a definite push by Solanke on Bennett in the lead up to their goal. Bennett did go down easily and a little bit theatrically but it was a push none the less.
The second half was non stop pressure from us and the substitution of Bradshaw for Bennett was the turning point. A great knock on from Tom and Benik showed real class to tuck it away. The two almost combined near the end for our second and it was a very intelligent position from Bradshaw to tap it in if Lerma hadn’t got a toe to the cross.
The crowd really got into it and there was a great atmosphere.
Spot on ,exactly how I saw it ,(and most no doubt ), great just back as per ,Danny Mac was class and Billy showed why he should be one of the first names on thr teamsheet .

I thought that was our best performance of the season last night. Apart from a 10-15 minute period at the beginning of the second half, we dominated throughout. Thought everyone - subs included - played well. Afobe had his best game of the season; you could see why teams paid £10+ million for him last night. If you are being critical then we still didn't create many clear cut chances but they defended well. Hopefully more of the same but with a win on Saturday.
It was his best game because we utilised his ability to run behind and at pace. We often don’t spot these runs so no wonder he gets knackered towards the end of a game plus he does a lot of high pressing.

Thanks Silver. From my perch it was clear push and therefore the goal should not have stood. However Whitestone's performance ,by his standards, was "par for the course" Was encouraged by our performance.
The highlights, IMO, confirm Bennett was pushed in the back and the goal shouldn’t have stood 👎

So is it difficult to replicate against hull what we did against Bournemouth. Start the same 11 and tell them your playing Bournemouth again without the cheating ref. Should be a win. But, this is Millwall.

Thanks Silver. From my perch it was clear push and therefore the goal should not have stood. However Whitestone's performance ,by his standards, was "par for the course" Was encouraged by our performance.
Thus confirms his incompetence Obeney