Just Back v Brum on live stream

silverlion

Staff member
A decent and gritty performance which ended goalless.

We made a decent start and our whole mental attitude was light years away from Saturday. Everybody was getting their foot in, closing down and running with purpose off the ball. It did not take long for us to get our first chance. A free kick was nodded on by Cooper to Flem but his shot was blocked. We continued to press forward and a couple of minutes later the ball fell to Flem who spotted the keeper off his line and chipped him but it sailed just over. Another decent move down the right saw Flem hit a good cross shot and Bennett was inches away from connecting. We were definitely having the better of it with some good joined up football with crisp passing and good movement. Vogi was playing well as a target man and was aggressive in his play. He was fouled but Sav’s free kick came to nothing. The ref was doing us no favours and Honeyman was getting pushed and shoved all over the place but the game went on. The best move of the half came down the right with a great ball from Honeyman to Danny and his cross was saved. And the half time whistle came with the honours even.

GR would have been the happier of the two managers as they seemed toothless but it was a sure bet that things would change second half. My mate was at the game and text to say we were poor and Bennett was woeful. It certainly didn’t seem that way from the live stream! They came out wit( a spring in their step and had the better of the first 15 but never really showed a big threat. We did get a good ball down to Bennett but it came to nothing. Another decent ball down the line to Bennett was better and he passed inside to Billy. He cut inside and his goal bound shot was deflected over for a corner. We needed fresh legs and off came Bennett and on came Burey.. A few minutes later came our best chance to score. Burey rode a challenge on the half way line and charged towards their goal. The keeper came out to narrow the angle and saved the shot. A pass square to VogI would have been a tap in but it wasn’t to be. We went for it with ten to go with Bradshaw and Styles on for Vogi and Honeyman. Despite 4 added minutes the deadlock could not be broken and it ended scoreless.

Long had little to do and I don’t think he had a direct shot to save all night. Danny was solid in defence and made some good runs down the right. Cresswell was error free and Cooper looked dominant in the middle. Murray made welcome return with a typical solid performance. Billy was very busy but MOM was Sav with a really busy, solid and creative display in the middle. Flem had some moments, Honeyman added some aggression on the right and Bennett was his normal solid self. Vogi looked good leading the attack and managed to make the ball stick at times.

A decent hard working performance and a clean sheet against a side who put two past the R’s last Friday. They looked fairly ordinary and we never really looked like conceding. On another day we could have nicked it but I would have taken a point at 7.45 which is exactly what we got.

Thanks Silver.
Billy and Saville really forming a partnership.
I think Billy MOM for me but I will not dispute with you your verdict of Saville for MOM. He was excellent and Billy benefitting from their partnership.
I'm disappointed with Honeyman though as I feel he hasn't quite done it for us yet, but I'm hopeful he will soon.

Cheers, A hard earned point and clean sheet on the road will do. Looked much more positive the second half, probably more of a threaat than Birmingham were. I felt Tyler could have done better with his chance, his last touch was to heavy and never anticipated the keeper going to ground. Think a striker would have instinctively put the ball over the oncoming keeper.

Saville and Billy solid again, good to see Saville biting away and dishing it out, we miss him when absent. Bennett does get us up the field quick with his runs but delivers little. He also looks like he's liable to pull up injured at any given time so can't see the point of him, more so when we're trying to rebuild a sqaud.

Octobers fixtures looked a real test, but just one deafeat from the last six games really is encouraging. Beating some decent opposition and trampling all over Watford in fine style, Many of our opponents having money to burn premier but you can't buy guts and team spirit.

Appreciate the report Silver. A little disappointed that we didn't get the ball in the net from one of our few opportunities, but more than happy that we were much more together than at Huddersfield.
A great team effort to stop a decent Brummie side scoring. COYL.

Appreciate the report Silver. A little disappointed that we didn't get the ball in the net from one of our few opportunities, but more than happy that we were much more together than at Huddersfield.
A great team effort to stop a decent Brummie side scoring. COYL.
Wasn't much of a game to watch and we created few enough opportunities. But you're right about the defence, I can only remember one time when they looked like they might create something(but Murray nicely cleaned out Chung that time). Another clean sheet and just 5 goals conceded in 8 games since the last international break. We were a bit dodgy at the back during August and September but they have steadied the ship since then. I know Rowett gets it in the neck for being defensive. But you're going nowhere if you can't defend - it has to be the foundation of any decent side. I was a bit disappointed that we didn't nick a win last night but as others have said, not a bad result at the end of the day.
And thanks to Silver for the report as always.