Just Back v Barnsley

silverlion

Staff member
A decent performance, a good win against a very poor side.

We made a very slow start and I am sure that they couldn’t believe their luck. They strolled forward like Barcelona and we backed off giving them the freedom of the Den. They had two corners in the first two minutes and Bart made a decent save to keep us in it. I was thinking that we have to pull our finger out or this is going to be a repeat of Tuesday. Fortunately, their early possession was a bit of a wake up call before we found our feet after about six minutes. We then realised that they were quite a poor side who allowed us a little more freedom than we are used to and we started to take control. A good short corner put Molly in space by the by line and his fierce shot was parried by the keeper. A decent corner was met by Murray who just headed wide and a good run from Burke put Adobe in on goal but he was blocked off. However, we were not done yet. Jed looked very lively down the right and Billy was everywhere trying hard to drive us forward. A good run down the right from Jed looked offside but the lino played on and Jed’s cross was a threat but came to nothing. A few minutes later he did the same thing down the left but the lino waved us on. To me it looked more offside than the previous run down the right. His decent cross went past Burke and there was Danny to slot it inside the far post for his first Millwall goal. His face was a picture and I am sure he couldn’t believe it himself! They huffed and puffed but even though they had some decent possession they never really looked a threat and the half ended with out noses in front.

GR clearly told them during the break that they were there for the taking and we started the second half well and score a second in minutes. A decent deep cross from Molly on the left was met by Danny on the far post to score his second for 2-0. There is an old adage in football which says that you are always vulnerable after scoring. And it proved to be the case. A decent forward ball into our box led to some indecision from Ballard and Murray and it fell to their midfielder who hit it crisply into our net for 2-1. We were a little bit edgy for a few min utes and they tried hard to get back into it. We held firm and pushed forward. A decent corner was recycled to Jed who hit a peach of a cross into their box. Ballard headed it goalwards, the keeper pushed it onto the bar but it came out kindly to Burke who poked it home for 3-1. They looked done for and made a couple of attacking subs but we took off a tiring Burke to a standing ovation and put on Burey. Just before that Benik got our fourth with a low shot from the left of the box and now we were in control. They were done for and they knew it. Then we put on Leonard and Bradshaw for Jed and Danny and saw out the remaining minutes with no drama.

Bart had little to do and made one good save early on but could little about their goal. Danny had a storming game and his two goals gave him MOM. Cooper was solid alongside Ballard who made one outstanding clearance in the second half. Murrray was again Mr Dependable and never let us down. Billy was everywhere, Dutch was aggressive and solid and Molly had a decent game wide left. Burke ran hard and was a threat, Jed was very busy and also a threat and Benik had some poor moments but some good ones too and scored a decent goal. Burey ran hard and did get a decent chance in the second half, Bradshaw looked busy and Leonard slotted in very comfortably at RWB.

All in all a decent performance with some good play and some good goals. Four goals, three points and up to ninth, four points adrift of sixth place and still the dream is alive. COYL.

Shaky start but Bart saved us but from then on we were in a type of control , at 2-0/ it looked over but again we conceded to give them a bit bit hope but it was short lived ,have to say this was one of the smallest less physical Barnsley team I have seen at millwall in years and a well deserved victory onwards to Preston

Great win but Barnsley have the worst away record in the division, still the dream is on as Silver has said. We’d need to win them all though
I'm heading over for the Hull game. The family are coming over this time so I'm bringing my 8 year old boy along to his first game at the Den. He'd enjoy the day one way or another but the fact that there's still a possibility of the playoffs will add a bit to the day. I can't see us making it but you never know and it'll make it a little more exciting for my young lad.

I'm heading over for the Hull game. The family are coming over this time so I'm bringing my 8 year old boy along to his first game at the Den. He'd enjoy the day one way or another but the fact that there's still a possibility of the playoffs will add a bit to the day. I can't see us making it but you never know and it'll make it a little more exciting for my young lad.
Hopefully you'll all have a worthwhile trip, and the little man is bitten by the Millwall bug.

Hopefully you'll all have a worthwhile trip, and the little man is bitten by the Millwall bug.
Thanks, Ulster. I've been brainwashing him since he was born so he does follow Wall. Not sure how it is up North but nearly everyone around here is either Man U or Liverpool and he also supports Liverpool despite my best efforts. So hopefully a trip to the Den will iron out that problem 😉. Really looking forward to it even if it won't be the usual day on the beer!

Thanks, Ulster. I've been brainwashing him since he was born so he does follow Wall. Not sure how it is up North but nearly everyone around here is either Man U or Liverpool and he also supports Liverpool despite my best efforts. So hopefully a trip to the Den will iron out that problem 😉. Really looking forward to it even if it won't be the usual day on the beer!
Same up here. Manchester and Liverpool teams, Spurs and Arsenal too, although I know a couple of lads who support Lincoln and Aldershot.!!!! No accounting for taste.
Had my youngest daughter across for a game, and she loved it. Now I find her checking scores and league positions.
Going without a few beers is a very small price to get your boy fully indoctrinated into our way of thinking.
I really hope he enjoys it.

I’m sure he will remember this game for the rest of his life but we need to beat Preston on Friday if your going to mention the play offs. Either way, I hope you and your boy have a great day out

Cheers for the reports gents good to bang in 4 goals and chuffed for Danny Mac getting his first for us. Still in with a shout and stranger things have happened COYL!!

If it comes down to the last game at Bournmouth there will be more OB than fans and the EFL will send a bent ref who has a first class degree at spoon bending and knee taking at the Bently valley benders univesity.

In all honesty its a big ask still, but who knows.COYL.

Same up here. Manchester and Liverpool teams, Spurs and Arsenal too, although I know a couple of lads who support Lincoln and Aldershot.!!!! No accounting for taste.
Had my youngest daughter across for a game, and she loved it. Now I find her checking scores and league positions.
Going without a few beers is a very small price to get your boy fully indoctrinated into our way of thinking.
I really hope he enjoys it.
Yes, there will be plenty of days out drinking to come but he'll only have one first day at the Den. Looking forward to it.

Members online