Just back (short version)

Phlion54

Quite an attacking line up but how things can fool you , quite an even first half but no real chances until they scored, we then stepped up any got a deserved equaliser ,second half we were on the front foot but with real sting then we concede really against the run of play and for the rest of the game we were really camped in their half ( 72% pocession) but the goal never came although we had enough good chances.
Now we come on to Rowlett ....it was standing out like a sore thumb that ojo along with Seville are just not good enough and should have been replaced at half time , Jed again was all over the place and really did nothing , what is he,s position at times today he was right back ,left back ,midfield & forward ineffective today , then the baffling subs ...Bradshaw closing down all game replaced by smith, then Bennett who should have started and done more in 15 minutes then ojo all game ,then chasing the game he replaces the overrated Seville with the even more overrated holding midfielder Evans.....crying out for another attacking body......mom for me was again Danny Mac

Until Rowett decides on a settled side (regardless of whether we win, lose or draw with that side), games like this will always be chaotic in terms of bad formations, tactics and substitutions!

What is Rowett’s reasoning that he doesn’t play Ojo for a couple of games (but has him sitting on the bench), but then decides he’s the perfect choice to start for this particular game? Is it solely down to Rowett being mindful that he has to play the Liverpool player in a certain number of games during his loan, or is it because Rowett has some master plan on how to beat Hull, and only Ojo in that position will help accomplish it?

The same can be said about Danny. Out of the side for no particular reason, with Leonard (who should be playing in midfield), filling in for him at RB! Why?

There are other, similar instances Rowett has had with players, but the bottom line should be that you play your strongest and best side, with those best players playing in their correct positions week in, week out, unless suspensions and/or injuries occur that necessitate a player change!

I would hazard a guess that the teams sitting in the top 6 places in the Championship, and who have, for the most part, been sitting in those positions for a large portion of the 20 games played so far, have strived hard to keep a stable, winning side!

Why isn’t Rowett realising this and, more importantly, why isn’t he trying to do the same?

Quite an attacking line up but how things can fool you , quite an even first half but no real chances until they scored, we then stepped up any got a deserved equaliser ,second half we were on the front foot but with real sting then we concede really against the run of play and for the rest of the game we were really camped in their half ( 72% pocession) but the goal never came although we had enough good chances.
Now we come on to Rowlett ....it was standing out like a sore thumb that ojo along with Seville are just not good enough and should have been replaced at half time , Jed again was all over the place and really did nothing , what is he,s position at times today he was right back ,left back ,midfield & forward ineffective today , then the baffling subs ...Bradshaw closing down all game replaced by smith, then Bennett who should have started and done more in 15 minutes then ojo all game ,then chasing the game he replaces the overrated Seville with the even more overrated holding midfielder Evans.....crying out for another attacking body......mom for me was again Danny Mac
Appreciate your just back Phil, but please get the names correct. It's Rowett and Saville, not Rowlett and Seville.

Many thanks PL54 for your take on the game. I have posted many times that it always good to hear the thoughts of somebody who had been to the game. In GR’s post match interview he admitted that he had gone for a more attacking line up which didn’t work and maybe he got it wrong. That was a first! I have only watched the brief highlights on SSN and it was clear that we didn’t have our shooting boots on. Benik missed a couple of decent chances in the first half and also, as a team, we missed a hatful of chances in the second half. Their first goal just skimmed off the head of Hutch on its way to the goalscorer. A firmer contact would have cleared the danger. I was not convinced that their second goal was not offside but none of our mob went up for it so I can only assume that it was OK.
Fat Dan was not at the game but one of his sidekicks did a three minute take on the game. He said that he could not fault the effort of any of the players and we gave everything we had. Danny was his MOM but we did not play well enough as a team to get all three points. A draw could have been in our grasp but we didn’t have our shooting boots on. Let’s hope we find them in the next seven days before Lord Bowyer rolls into town with his mob.

The Ginger Pirlo won’t be on the coach as he was red carded during the week, they appealed against the card but lost the appeal and now he is out for three games! I can’t decide whether it is a blessing in disguise. If he’d played he would have got dogs abuse and would certainly been targeted by Billy for some robust treatment before he gave up the ball.

There were two silver linings to yesterday’s results. The Smelhurst mob got turned over by Stevie G’s resurgent Villa and the bubble burst for the Red Red Robins at Shrewsbury. There could be a third today if the Spammers get turned over by Man City. Watch this space!

After going to Middlesbrough and Hull on consecutive Saturdays I have had a think today if it was really worth it. Whilst Borough last week was woeful , I didn’t think yesterday was too bad. We didn’t deserve to lose , but we again barely troubled their goalie . Although I’ve never liked Rowett from Before he came to us , is he really at fault ? Our midfield can barely string two passes together and never put a decent ball into our front players. Afobe put Bradshaw in perfectly for his goal yesterday , I can’t imagine any of our midfielders doing the same. Our defence let Hull score twice yesterday from virtually their only two attacks. Sloppy defending . I blame the players for these two pretty miserable away days , not the Manager. . . . . I think this is the first time I’ve ever defender Rowett.

After going to Middlesbrough and Hull on consecutive Saturdays I have had a think today if it was really worth it. Whilst Borough last week was woeful , I didn’t think yesterday was too bad. We didn’t deserve to lose , but we again barely troubled their goalie . Although I’ve never liked Rowett from Before he came to us , is he really at fault ? Our midfield can barely string two passes together and never put a decent ball into our front players. Afobe put Bradshaw in perfectly for his goal yesterday , I can’t imagine any of our midfielders doing the same. Our defence let Hull score twice yesterday from virtually their only two attacks. Sloppy defending . I blame the players for these two pretty miserable away days , not the Manager. . . . . I think this is the first time I’ve ever defender Rowett.
Your probably right.
If professional footballers can't get the basics right what hope is there for our team.

Based on the highlights think we were unlucky.

With their 1st goal, Danny gets sucked into an unnecessary tackle in the middle, ball not won and passed to the left (where Danny should've been!), crossed, deflects off Hutch's bonce and hits their player on the head when he really knew little about it. A slightly bigger deflection and it would have been no goal.

Poor headed clearance for their 2nd, but a couple of lucky rebounds and they score again.

Looked like we created some decent chances but failed to convert.

59% possession, more shots and more on target.

It's too easy to blame GR all the time!

Last edited:
I thought we were shocking. We had no creativity about us and often passed the ball sideways 5 yards. The movement and energy were non existent and Hull were shit by the way.

Rowett's squad, Rowett picks the side - I see a stat that we have scored 2 or more goals in 8 games out of 99 games he's been in charge. Bloke is one boring prick with his football. I'd rather be in a relegation battle and try and win games than mid table obscurity boring our fans to death.

I thought we were shocking. We had no creativity about us and often passed the ball sideways 5 yards. The movement and energy were non existent and Hull were shit by the way.

Rowett's squad, Rowett picks the side - I see a stat that we have scored 2 or more goals in 8 games out of 99 games he's been in charge. Bloke is one boring prick with his football. I'd rather be in a relegation battle and try and win games than mid table obscurity boring our fans to death.
I agree with most of what you said, but I thought we had plenty of energy.

Like you said, we pass the ball and it ends up in one of the corners of our our half with one of our defenders, who then have no choice to knock it long.

Even when we make it to a decent crossing position, we have to pass back, as we have no options in the box.
99% of the time our forwards are wide, helping to create the decent crossing position, and our midfielders play deep under instructions from GR, so have to run half the length of the pitch, and by that time Bart in goal has the ball.