Just back (short version)

Phlion54

Not a lot to say really , not one of our best games to be honest but had high hopes with the team selection....first 15 we were the better team but apart from a few forward thrusts not a lot else...ojo ineffective ,Maloney roasted by their nippy winger/forwards, middle of midfield absent most of the match and they controlled the game.....couple of subs with Smith & afobi but with little or no affect.....undone by another corner and poor defending at the near post......Bart made some good saves but still his kicking let's him down....Hutch my MoM....didn't deserve anything but gutted to loose right at the end....still upwards to Tuesday and hope Rowlett can sort out our poor midfield

With a bit more courage, we could have set up from the start to go for 3 points but our timid, lack lustre away strategy, bit us in the bum and we come home with nothing.

Many thanks for your take on the game. I have posted many times that it is always good to read the thoughts of someone who was at the game. You do post a brighter view of the game than Fat Dan on Lions TV who described it as one the worst performances he has ever seen. TT on the Millwall Drive Home described it as ‘tough to watch’ and ’no entertainment value’. I think NH would have described it as a bad day at the office.
I have yet to see the extended highlights but the brief highlights I did see on SSN did not look good. The problem with GR is that he sets up no-to lose rather than setting up to win. When your forwards are firing on blanks, your midfield is struggling to make an impact and your defence is swamped the inevitable happens near then end of the game. Many of us on here have been complaining about his game philosophy but I honestly cannot see it changing. Tuesday could be a watershed and I shall be looking for pointers before I write my team post tomorrow.

I have watched the lowlights on iFlop and we just didn’t get going. In nearly ten minutes of clips there was only one weak shot from Jed but lots of shots and forward movement from them. We seemed to be permanently two yards off them when they had the ball. There was no closing down and they had far too much room in the middle of the field. It did look as if Benik was pushed by their goalscorer from the corner. Disappointing but that is only our second defeat in eleven. Things will need to improve on Tuesday and there is no doubt in my mind that a similar performance against Reading will be greeted by much displeasure by a raucous Den crowd.

We spent the first 82 minutes strolling around happy to let Huddersfield have the ball whilst offering absolutely no threat going forward at all. That was of course until the inevitable goal and then we were running about like blue arsed flies desperately trying to salvage a point.

Our entire attacking plan seemed to focus solely on playing long balls down the channel to an outmuscled and outnumbered Bradshaw. The Huddersfield defence dealt with it comfortably every single fucking time and we simply did not seriously threaten the Huddersfield goal once in the whole 90 minutes which is pretty pathetic for a team supposedly aiming for the top six.

Too many half arsed below par performances from players who should be stepping up in matches like this. Don’t let the late penalty claim paper over the fact that it was a tepid, weak and lifeless effort. We got what we deserved, absolutely fuck all.

It wasn't just GR's fault with his tactics...there were a few out of order performances yesterday.

I'm not defending GR by any means but, he's picking players who play decent one week then the next week look like they are still wearing their pyjamas and rubbing their eyes.

'Consistent' is a word they don't seem to understand.

Watched Sky highlights and we didn’t deserve anything from the game but there’s no doubt Afobe was pushed over for their goal preventing him from getting to the ball first 👎

It was a dull performance yesterday. We looked reasonable at the back , but we created nothing , looked devoid of any ideas in their half of the pitch and rely on a long ball over the top and hope Jed does something. Our midfield don’t have a forward pass in them and Malone wasted every chance of a decent cross that he had. We looked a poor , negative and talentless team.

Negative from GR and with no general or ball player in midfield we hit and hope the ball forward....they had at least 4/5 attacking us the whole match we had really nothing ....as GR said " we play for 0-0 and hope for a win" that's sums him up but are the players happy with this style. Hear Danny had a moan now he,s not even in the squad ?

Hear Danny had a moan now he,s not even in the squad ?

Unless he's injured, Danny's exclusion from the squad doesn't make sense to me. He is our only RB/RWB and has performed consistently well.

Leonard and Billy have not let us down when asked to play RB/ RWB but neither is a natural in that position.

Danny was poor against Luton, but so was everyone else; however it appears that Danny is the scapegoat for that performance.

I have no problem at all with going away from home and being hard to beat. I welcome it when we play superior teams, frustrate them and shithouse a 1-0 win.

But yesterday we were playing Huddersfield, not Man City or Liverpool. First half was dull but we weren't in any trouble whatsoever and probably edged it in terms of chances to score.

So what does Rowett do? Takes off a forward, puts on a midfielder which results in us having eight defensive players on the pitch and offering nothing at all going forward. Jed and Bradshaw were basically left to their own devices in trying to conjure up a goal out of nowhere which was virtually impossible.

As a result, what Rowett did was football cowardice. No ambition, no creativity, no bravery, no guile. No hope.

I was ashamed watching it. It was dinosaur football. We didn't even try to have a go. It was the equivalent of a boxer with his hands up and not throwing a punch for an entire fight.

Does Rowett even put on any attacking drills in training? You can defend deep and be hard to beat but when you do actually have the ball, you have to have a plan to hurt the opponent.

The performance against Luton was as bad as I've seen. Yesterday was worse. Rowett can get away with it to a degree away but if he continues to send out teams like that at home, he will be in big trouble.

I totally admit I overreact to losses because I'm a fan and have been for 40 years. I love Millwall. So when we lose and I rant, I see what my fellow Lions fans are saying. The overwhelming reaction to Luton and yesterday was that it was unacceptable.

Rowett needs to understand that Millwall fans don't expect world-beating, total football performances. We are not stupid. But we expect us to have a go and if we lose then so be it. Remember the game at homeagainst Fulham under Harris a few years ago? We lost 3-0. But we scared the life out of them in the game because we went toe-to-toe with them and what happened? The team were applauded off at full-time. Many a time we have bloodied the nose of bigger teams by being totally committed and brave. We were timid, insipid, cowardly, and dull yesterday.

Rowett is going to have to change, I know many, including myself, think he won't. But if he doesn't then another type of change is inevitable. A managerial one.

One take away from the game, Bradshaw’s prior performance was not an omen for the future.

I have no problem at all with going away from home and being hard to beat. I welcome it when we play superior teams, frustrate them and shithouse a 1-0 win.

But yesterday we were playing Huddersfield, not Man City or Liverpool. First half was dull but we weren't in any trouble whatsoever and probably edged it in terms of chances to score.

So what does Rowett do? Takes off a forward, puts on a midfielder which results in us having eight defensive players on the pitch and offering nothing at all going forward. Jed and Bradshaw were basically left to their own devices in trying to conjure up a goal out of nowhere which was virtually impossible.

As a result, what Rowett did was football cowardice. No ambition, no creativity, no bravery, no guile. No hope.

I was ashamed watching it. It was dinosaur football. We didn't even try to have a go. It was the equivalent of a boxer with his hands up and not throwing a punch for an entire fight.

Does Rowett even put on any attacking drills in training? You can defend deep and be hard to beat but when you do actually have the ball, you have to have a plan to hurt the opponent.

The performance against Luton was as bad as I've seen. Yesterday was worse. Rowett can get away with it to a degree away but if he continues to send out teams like that at home, he will be in big trouble.

I totally admit I overreact to losses because I'm a fan and have been for 40 years. I love Millwall. So when we lose and I rant, I see what my fellow Lions fans are saying. The overwhelming reaction to Luton and yesterday was that it was unacceptable.

Rowett needs to understand that Millwall fans don't expect world-beating, total football performances. We are not stupid. But we expect us to have a go and if we lose then so be it. Remember the game at homeagainst Fulham under Harris a few years ago? We lost 3-0. But we scared the life out of them in the game because we went toe-to-toe with them and what happened? The team were applauded off at full-time. Many a time we have bloodied the nose of bigger teams by being totally committed and brave. We were timid, insipid, cowardly, and dull yesterday.

Rowett is going to have to change, I know many, including myself, think he won't. But if he doesn't then another type of change is inevitable. A managerial one.
This. 100%

Unfortunately, there are some on here who think we can’t do better than Drawett, and are probably a bit frightened (as Drawett is), to make a change that might be for the better!

In bomber’s last season with us, the majority on here were voicing their displeasure at his tactics (or lack of them), as were supporters at home and away games, and most of that majority wanted him gone! Thankfully, Harris did the decent thing and fell on his sword! He knew he was hurting the supporters and the club by remaining, so he resigned! Did JB try to stop him? I don’t know! Perhaps JB was relieved that the decision was taken out of his hands!

I think the situation now, with Drawett, is something similar to what bomber was going through in his last season with us (I don’t know if he or Drawett were/are aware of what’s said on this forum), but the difference between the two men is that Drawett won’t resign! Getting the Millwall gig was his ‘last chance saloon’ card! He knew how badly he’d let Derby down by jumping ship when Stoke came calling, and he knew how badly he’d spunked £50M up the wall at Stoke, so he may be thinking that if he resigns, will he get another Championship gig, or will he have to ply his trade at lower league clubs? If its the latter, it doesn’t surprise me that he would want to hold out for a decent pay off, but in doing so, he’s hurting this club by staying. The sad part about all of this, is that I don’t think he really cares!

Staff online

Members online