Just Back (Sheff Utd)

Ilderton Wanderer

A game of two halves if ever there was one, unfortunately for us our tepid first half performance done the damage and we couldn’t claw it back. Sheffield United clearly had a game plan to get at us from the first minute and we couldn’t live with their lively forward line. A clear push on Cooper went unpunished and their striker got in front of an unusually sluggish Wallace and finished neatly.

We really needed to stay in the game and make it to HT but 15 minutes or so later a sloppy mistake from Cresswell was punished and despite Danny Macs best efforts their impressive midfielder Berge managed to find the net from a tight angle. We had enough of the ball but couldn’t find a way past their compact midfield and defence, only Saville and the hard working Bennett were at the races. Just before half-time it looked all over when Cooper tripped Brewster and the referee eagerly pointed to the spot, only for Bart to pull off a great one handed save from the penalty.

The second half started with the same team but they started to play with more purpose, again Saville and Bennett being the main instigators, we forced a good few corners but Sheffield United defended well to their credit, keeping a close eye on Cooper in particular. Despite the late introduction of Oloafe and the lively Burey we just couldn’t get that elusive goal.

Plus points were Saville who had a good game and Bennett who never stopped running while it was good to see McNamara back in action, Rowett said after the game that there has been some progress in his contract negotiations so hopefully he can put the uncertainty behind him and get back to his best. Burey showed flashes of talent while Bart at least gave us a fighting chance with his penalty save.

Too many players were off the pace today, especially in the first half. The two Leeds lads struggled and it seemed to be a steep learning curve for Cresswell in particular but he will be a better player for it. Malone was ineffective while Cooper and Murray Wallace couldn’t get to grips with their lively pacey attack. Mitchell was in and out of the game and sometimes needs to see a pass quicker instead of turning full circle and passing backwards. Afobe was anonymous.

All in all a terrible first 45 minutes and a harsh lesson that we need to sharpen up and be on our game from the first minute. We should be expecting a whole lot better next week against Coventry.

A game of two halves if ever there was one, unfortunately for us our tepid first half performance done the damage and we couldn’t claw it back. Sheffield United clearly had a game plan to get at us from the first minute and we couldn’t live with their lively forward line. A clear push on Cooper went unpunished and their striker got in front of an unusually sluggish Wallace and finished neatly.

We really needed to stay in the game and make it to HT but 15 minutes or so later a sloppy mistake from Cresswell was punished and despite Danny Macs best efforts their impressive midfielder Berge managed to find the net from a tight angle. We had enough of the ball but couldn’t find a way past their compact midfield and defence, only Saville and the hard working Bennett were at the races. Just before half-time it looked all over when Cooper tripped Brewster and the referee eagerly pointed to the spot, only for Bart to pull off a great one handed save from the penalty.

The second half started with the same team but they started to play with more purpose, again Saville and Bennett being the main instigators, we forced a good few corners but Sheffield United defended well to their credit, keeping a close eye on Cooper in particular. Despite the late introduction of Oloafe and the lively Burey we just couldn’t get that elusive goal.

Plus points were Saville who had a good game and Bennett who never stopped running while it was good to see McNamara back in action, Rowett said after the game that there has been some progress in his contract negotiations so hopefully he can put the uncertainty behind him and get back to his best. Burey showed flashes of talent while Bart at least gave us a fighting chance with his penalty save.

Too many players were off the pace today, especially in the first half. The two Leeds lads struggled and it seemed to be a steep learning curve for Cresswell in particular but he will be a better player for it. Malone was ineffective while Cooper and Murray Wallace couldn’t get to grips with their lively pacey attack. Mitchell was in and out of the game and sometimes needs to see a pass quicker instead of turning full circle and passing backwards. Afobe was anonymous.

All in all a terrible first 45 minutes and a harsh lesson that we need to sharpen up and be on our game from the first minute. We should be expecting a whole lot better next week against Coventry.
Excellent report, thanks.

We were so bad first half that I thought that GR would make, at least, a couple of subs at half time. Turns out he was right to stay as we were as we started the second half brightly. However, when the subs came why he took off our best two players (Bennett and Saville) is beyond me. Afobe was having a terrible game and should have been pulled after an hour.

Thanks Ilderton, I hope you still enjoyed the day out. As good as the second half was teams often take their foot off the gas when they’re in front so we were probably flattered. With Bradshaw out, Afobe needs to get his act together & quick

Afobe plays well when Bradshaw is on the pitch, as Bradshaw does all the running about, Bennett is good with the ball at his feet attacking players and taking them on. Afobe will play better with Honeyman and Bradshaw in the starting 11 as they are both work horses, if both of them are not in the 11, Afobe should not start, try Burey and Olaofe as a pair

Excellent report, thanks.

We were so bad first half that I thought that GR would make, at least, a couple of subs at half time. Turns out he was right to stay as we were as we started the second half brightly. However, when the subs came why he took off our best two players (Bennett and Saville) is beyond me. Afobe was having a terrible game and should have been pulled after an hour.

Cheers mate. To be fair to Rowett it looked like Bennett was spent and he was on a yellow card too, I suppose if he had picked up a late red card or an injury we would be asking why he wasn’t taken off. Our options from the bench anyway were limited to say the least, other than Burey it’s hard to see who could have come on and Impacted the game.

We not only missed Honeyman yesterday but also Leonard, I’m not sure why he was absent but we missed his energy and drive and definitely his ability with a long throw. The starkest difference to me was the pace of Sheffield Uniteds attack compared to ours, especially in the first half, Brewster and Ndiaye were a real handful and were obviously targeting Cooper in particular, constantly getting in behind and pulling our defence all over the place.

With Afobe looking isolated and Bradshaw missing our search for that elusive tricky forward (who can stay fit!) is becoming ever more urgent.

Cheers mate. To be fair to Rowett it looked like Bennett was spent and he was on a yellow card too, I suppose if he had picked up a late red card or an injury we would be asking why he wasn’t taken off. Our options from the bench anyway were limited to say the least, other than Burey it’s hard to see who could have come on and Impacted the game.

We not only missed Honeyman yesterday but also Leonard, I’m not sure why he was absent but we missed his energy and drive and definitely his ability with a long throw. The starkest difference to me was the pace of Sheffield Uniteds attack compared to ours, especially in the first half, Brewster and Ndiaye were a real handful and were obviously targeting Cooper in particular, constantly getting in behind and pulling our defence all over the place.

With Afobe looking isolated and Bradshaw missing our search for that elusive tricky forward (who can stay fit!) is becoming ever more urgent.
Leonard had tonsillitis but should be ok for Saturday.

That's fair enough re Bennett.

Imo it was an ideal opportunity to try something different around the 60-70 min mark. Initially Bennett/ Burey and then Aloafe/ Burey. At 0-2 not much to lose and we need to know, sooner rather than later, whether Aloafe - and to a lesser extent - Burey have a future as C'ship players.

1st half I think Saville would have been grateful for anyone - Leonard, Honeyman, Evans😱 - who might have stopped him having to do his King Canute impersonation!

Having just watched the 'highlights'. Putting the sloppy play at the back to one side. That first goal was a deliberate raised elbow in the face of Wallace and VAR would have seen a sending off there. Not good, but only second game against a team I expect to end top six.