Jordan hugill

Millwall. Surprise late move for Oli Burke at Sheff U. Better first team chances there than the previous Blackburn interest.
From Alan Nixon on Twitter
I remember seeing him play for Forest years ago, he came on as a sub and was brilliant. Never really shined anywhere since though, which did surprise me. More of a winger than a striker I would have thought.

These players we are being linked with are exactly what we don't want. We would be better going down the young and hungry route as that has worked for us before. I don't know why, but it does. Goodman, Harris, Gregory, Morison.

How is it that Peterborough, who are hardly a club with the reach of Real Madrid, are constantly buying non-league or untapped Premier League talent for sod all and then move them on for millions? They obviously have good scouts, but it's not rocket science, is it?

I could throw out names of strikers and wingers all day long like Hugill and Burke, but are they really going to do anything when they haven't for years? We hardly play Man City football so bringing in players that can't score into a team that creates very little is madness.

How about these?

Armani Little of Torquay. Midfielder. 23.

Joe Sbarra of Solihull Moors. Midfielder. 25.

Kyle Wootton of Notts County. Striker. 25.

Tahvon Campbell of Woking. Winger. 25.

Kabongo Tshimanga of Chesterfield. Striker. 24.

These players we are being linked with are exactly what we don't want. We would be better going down the young and hungry route as that has worked for us before. I don't know why, but it does. Goodman, Harris, Gregory, Morison.

How is it that Peterborough, who are hardly a club with the reach of Real Madrid, are constantly buying non-league or untapped Premier League talent for sod all and then move them on for millions? They obviously have good scouts, but it's not rocket science, is it?

I could throw out names of strikers and wingers all day long like Hugill and Burke, but are they really going to do anything when they haven't for years? We hardly play Man City football so bringing in players that can't score into a team that creates very little is madness.
This. 100%

Everyone on here seems baffled as to why Rowett hasn’t recalled Olaofe yet! I can only put it down to the fact that, in our current situation, Rowett wants loan players in from the Championship and the PL who he thinks can hit the ground running, and have the quality to hopefully score goals! Unless he’s already signed for someone, why isn’t Rowett giving Lovelace a chance to start tomorrow?

Unfortunately, Rowett isn’t seeing what we on here are seeing, that Hugill and Burke (the latter has signed on loan with us today and is available for team selection tomorrow), are way past their best, and cannot offer anywhere near what Olaofe can! It seems Rowett is happy to spunk money up the wall by paying some money towards these players wages, rather than offending Sutton by recalling Olaofe, because we’ve got fuck all up front at the moment!

How is that good business or good management from Rowett?

I honestly think that it is pie in the sky to think that Oaofe or even more so Lovelace can pull on the shirt and turn into a goal machine at our level. Whatever you may think of GR he has been in the game a long time and can surely spot an emerging talent like Olaofe and Lovelace. Whether they are actually ready for Championship football or not is a decision for somebody with a lot more experience than I have. Let’s see what this transfer window can offer us as there may be players out there who could offer us so much more. Watch this space.

I can't see how getting in an experienced pro rather than playing a schoolkid or an untried player at championship level who's out on loan until the end of the season is bad business. Regardless of that and the dislike of Rowett we still need a striker cause we've just let two go and are short on numbers.

Last edited:
We are never going to afford a player who is currently smashing it for another team. Our only option is an experienced championship player who has lost there way and we can improve them (Was starting to work with Ojo but failed with Zohore) or a young premier player looking to gain experience (Molumby worked but Parrot didn’t). Sticking a 15 year old up front is not the answer. Hopefully some of our kids will come through but let’s make sure we don’t do more harm than good by doing it when they are not ready.

As much as I'd love olaofe to make it with us I can't see it happening, if he was good enough he should've been pushing for first team place/squad at 18/19 if not younger, but at 22 and not exactly setting the world alight 2 divisions below something tells me he won't make it with us, hope I'm wrong (never am:whist:😁)

As much as I'd love olaofe to make it with us I can't see it happening, if he was good enough he should've been pushing for first team place/squad at 18/19 if not younger, but at 22 and not exactly setting the world alight 2 divisions below something tells me he won't make it with us, hope I'm wrong (never am:whist:😁)
Never?

We are never going to afford a player who is currently smashing it for another team. Our only option is an experienced championship player who has lost there way and we can improve them (Was starting to work with Ojo but failed with Zohore) or a young premier player looking to gain experience (Molumby worked but Parrot didn’t). Sticking a 15 year old up front is not the answer. Hopefully some of our kids will come through but let’s make sure we don’t do more harm than good by doing it when they are not ready.

This. People need to calm down about Lovelace, he’s a school kid for fucks sake. Let him develop at his own level for a couple of years at least instead of throwing him in Holloway style and him sink without trace.

Depends on the the terms of the loan, there maybe no recall if it's a season long loan.
I think I read on here that Olaofe can be recalled (though not 100% on that), so if Rowett can stick Lovelace on the bench (and bring him on for a few minutes), then why can’t he use Olaofe who at least has had experience playing in a football league (albeit in league 2)? Lovelace wasn’t on anyone’s radar until Rowett named him on the subs bench, yet last season and this, Oloafe has been banging in the goals for Sutton! Sorry, I just don’t understand it!

As I said up thread, Rowett seems happy to spunk money up the wall by paying some money towards these other players wages, rather than giving Olaofe a chance or, at the very least putting Lovelace up front tomorrow!

We bought Chopper, Morro and Greggers from non league clubs and
they became our best goal scorers over recent years. Any new signings
will have some risks attached but to give Oloafe some first team game time
would not require any transfer fees and if things went wrong he could
always go back to Sutton

I think I read on here that Olaofe can be recalled (though not 100% on that),
Rowett who gets regular reports back from our scouts and the development team said that he'd prefer the player to stay at Sutton and continue his development. You are plucking at straws over a player with no experience in our division, you'd also be the first to slate Rowett if the player did come back and did fuck all.

Rowett can stick Lovelace on the bench (and bring him on for a few minutes), then why can’t he use Olaofe who at least has had experience playing in a football league
Because Lovelace isn't out on loan and Olafe is and isn't ready, it's quite simple.

Lovelace wasn’t on anyone’s radar until Rowett named him on the subs bench,
Do you think scouts only see our youth play when they're in the first team? If that's what you're digging at. Are you saying that Man city are after Lovelace cause he played a few minutes in the first team? I'd suggest that he's been watched for some time, that's what clubs do.

As I said up thread, Rowett seems happy to spunk money up the wall by paying some money towards these other players wages, rather than giving Olaofe a chance
Is the player ready for the step up? Is it a wise business move to risk a player with no pedigree at our level when we're short of strikers and can use the loan market. The window has ten days left, what happens if Olafe was injured or not good enough and it's to late to get in a replacement?

With regards to Lovelace, we had to get special dispensation so he could join the first team the last time he played. He's 15, there are rules and he can't just turn up and play, you do know that's the case yeah?

Why don't you let the manager manage the hand he';s bean dealt instead of constantly criticising without knowing the full sp, It's easy to sit in front of your pc, point the finger and offer up solutions when you haven't a clue what goes on behind the scenes with contracts, budgets nor anything else.

This. People need to calm down about Lovelace, he’s a school kid for fucks sake. Let him develop at his own level for a couple of years at least instead of throwing him in Holloway style and him sink without trace.
Its only natural for some supporters on here to get excited about Lovelace. As I said up thread, Lovelace wasn’t on anyone’s radar until Rowett named him on the subs bench, then he gets on for a couple of minutes and everyone’s hoping this lad is here to stay (in and around the 1st team.)

Then we hear that Rangers, Leicester and Brighton are showing an interest in him, so naturally that adds to the excitement that another youth player is getting a chance in the 1st team! At the moment, we are strapped for forward players. Rowett may have Lovelace on the bench again tomorrow, just in case this Burke bloke has a shit game!

As much as I don’t rate Rowett as a manager, I do think he has a better understanding as to how to bring youth players through to the 1st team, than Hollowhead did, I just wish that sometimes he’d do it a bit quicker when needs must (like now).